Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through July 21, 2006

Old     (dennish)      Join Date: May 2005       07-13-2006, 5:39 PM Reply   
Yesterday I had the chance to test out a new Epic. We were really only testing out the wake for wakesurfing. I know. I always follow the wakeboarding rules and not surf glass whenever a wakeboarder enters an area. The boat was everything I had read about. Some small issues but great none the less. We have posted more on the wakesurfing forum. Thanks to the Sacramento dealer David Osada. He can be contacted at boardsandboats@gmail.com or 916-857-1857

Upload
Old     (greenpinky)      Join Date: Apr 2004       07-13-2006, 6:25 PM Reply   
No pics of the surf wake??? C'mon!!!
Old     (tyboarder03)      Join Date: Nov 2003       07-13-2006, 6:27 PM Reply   
They're in the wakesurfing section
Old     (sanger215guy)      Join Date: Oct 2004       07-14-2006, 6:52 AM Reply   
DRA currently has the EPIC shown above and will be towing our event this weekend with it. It was out at Wet Thursdays last night and some of the guys riding behind it after the event were very impressed with the wake. I will have pic,s to post this soon.
Old     (jrhurst)      Join Date: Mar 2006       07-14-2006, 7:53 AM Reply   
that big squared off nose is HOT !!!
Old     (midwesty)      Join Date: Aug 2003       07-14-2006, 8:40 AM Reply   
that boat continues to grow and get better each time i see it, but not seeing one in person sucks.
Old     (bcoppinger)      Join Date: Sep 2002       07-14-2006, 8:43 AM Reply   
Are there any pics of the wake at wakeboard speed?
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       07-14-2006, 9:03 AM Reply   
Hopefully we'll get a bunch of pics tonight so people can check it out more thoroughly. We'll post after the weekend with a bunch more info.
Old    K.B.C.            07-14-2006, 11:45 AM Reply   
take LOTS of pics Evan. I want to see that sucker with the full 4000 #s
Old     (kingskrew)      Join Date: May 2004       07-14-2006, 12:48 PM Reply   
I have a couple crappy pics from one of the days I got to ride a preproduction Epic. Sorry the pics kinda suck, but I was riding, not taking pics .

Upload
Upload
Old     (kingskrew)      Join Date: May 2004       07-14-2006, 12:49 PM Reply   
I'm 5'10" and the ballast wasn't completely full. This is at ~23mph and 75'. The wake is MASSIVE.
Old     (kingskrew)      Join Date: May 2004       07-14-2006, 12:50 PM Reply   
Maybe 70' I can't remember.

-Steve
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       07-14-2006, 1:31 PM Reply   
That wake definitely looks big. Sick!
Old     (mjmurphy53711)      Join Date: Mar 2004       07-14-2006, 1:32 PM Reply   
rope looks a bit short, wake looks huge, and the trough looks even bigger, nice.
Old     (lfxstar)      Join Date: Jul 2001       07-14-2006, 2:05 PM Reply   
finally a pic of the friggin' wake, looks nice
Old     (malibuboarder75)      Join Date: Jan 2004       07-14-2006, 5:30 PM Reply   
Holy ****, that is stomach high.
Old    wake_skywalker            07-14-2006, 6:12 PM Reply   
Hello to all I own an EPIC Promo, I'm glad everyone is finding out what I've already known! This boat is by far the best boat out. I havent had any problems with mine at all. Ok I have 1, I can't find enough time to behind it. Mine is all black and that is a cool color.

Anthony
Syndicate Industries Clothing
Bakersfield Combat Club
Old    jfair            07-14-2006, 7:49 PM Reply   
That wake is amazing gotta be one of the biggest wakes ever. How much these boats go for? Why arent they a well known boat company are they lacking in the marketing arena? We have a boat show in AZ about 6 mnths ago that had a
camofloge(?) boat. Want a well known name might have been Epci, does anyone know if they offered a camo. boat?
Old     (tyboarder03)      Join Date: Nov 2003       07-14-2006, 8:30 PM Reply   
There was a DVS shoe company Camo boat a while back... It was snow camo (black white grey) so couldve been.
Old     (billyjodonjimbo)      Join Date: Apr 2006       07-14-2006, 8:46 PM Reply   
jfair,

that was an epic, and it was the dvs boat.

last i heard the msrp was 60k....and my guess on why they aren't well known is becuase they are just releasing their first production boats now.

I imagine in a year they will be way more noticeable and popular.
Old     (sxjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2006       07-14-2006, 10:50 PM Reply   
Seen the boat in person. Seen the wake. watched people boarding on "the wake". JUST STOP all the frikin "HYPE". I've seen others boats with bigger wakes. Nice wake yes, but not the biggest i've seen. If you put 4000lbs. in anything you should have a sick wake and it wasn't that sick.
Old     (shellyrn)      Join Date: May 2006       07-14-2006, 11:19 PM Reply   
That is 4000 at the flip of a switch isn't it??
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       07-15-2006, 2:11 AM Reply   

quote:

If you put 4000lbs. in anything you should have a sick wake and it wasn't that sick.

i don't know if you've ridden as many boats as i have (not to say you don't know what you're talkin' about), but some boats have crappy wakes, no matter how much weight you put in them.

quote:

That is 4000 at the flip of a switch isn't it??

yep!

quote:

JUST STOP all the frikin "HYPE".

if you don't want to see "frikin HYPE" about epic boats, i have a suggestion for you. quit clicking on threads clearly titled "epic boat." no one is making you read them. a lot of people like the boat, but not everyone will like them. if you don't like them, stay away from epic boat threads.

quote:

rope looks a bit short

i'm not sure what length he's riding at in the pic above, but the times i've ridden with him, he never rode a short rope.

quote:

There was a DVS shoe company Camo boat a while back... It was snow camo (black white grey) so couldve been.

you mean this one?

Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Old    jfair            07-15-2006, 2:39 AM Reply   
yep thats the one. i was pretty impressed to see the boat compared to other brands. its just hard to buy a boat with out doing a tesr drive and they weremt offering it at the time of the show. How many dealerships are sellng epics and do they have any pro riders?
Old     (kystyle)      Join Date: Aug 2005       07-15-2006, 6:12 AM Reply   
Didn't Toyota come out with an inboard line of boats a few years ago that were called "epic"? Are these boats made by Toyota or is this a whole new company?
Old     (fullonsalesgrp)      Join Date: Jan 2004       07-15-2006, 8:19 AM Reply   
If you do a search you will find a welth of info
search for EPIC and Chris Anthony he is the owner of this NEW boat company.

By the way looks just like I thought it would.
Old     (kingskrew)      Join Date: May 2004       07-15-2006, 11:32 AM Reply   

quote:

quote:

rope looks a bit short

i'm not sure what length he's riding at in the pic above, but the times i've ridden with him, he never rode a short rope.

It's an a-line which is 70' with all the extensions off. I'm pretty sure we were running at least one extension maybe two, so that puts us in the 70'-80' for sure, probably 75'.

-Steve

(please dont say i have a short rope)
Old     (kingskrew)      Join Date: May 2004       07-15-2006, 11:34 AM Reply   
I will say though that I wish I could have been running a longer rope, we were having trouble getting the wake to clean up past that length, which is the only reason we weren't running longer. I think 80' or 85' would be perfect behind this boat at 23-24mph if the wake is clean.
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       07-17-2006, 11:46 AM Reply   
That boat definitely has the biggest wake I've ever seen. It was a pretty fair amount bigger than our X1's that are loaded as much as possible without sinking. Also, the big block gets that 4k of water up and moving instantly.

I rode at 80 and was thinking 85 would have been nice.

Downsides..... Our boats perfect pass didn't work. I guess I've just gotten really used to a perfect pull everytime (call me spoiled), The wake was kinda like a SAN. Very tall without a ton of transition (we could probaly dial that in, maybe drop some rear ballast or adjust the plate), and the biggest problem appeared to be a rudder issue. Our boat just wouldn't go straight. When you wanted to turn it was great, but it was very nervous going straight and the rider could pull the back of the boat all over.

I think when the guys at Epic get that boat dialed it'll be one of the sickest wakeboats out there. Will it appeal to families? I don't know, but core riders will love it.

Oh, I almost forgot.... You better like Nascar to own this boat, because the big block with side exhausts is obscenely loud. Definitely annoying, but I think they are working on that.
Old    bocephus            07-17-2006, 12:05 PM Reply   
This has been bothering me for a while, first, let me say that I am only a novice rider, but is all that extra ballast really necessary? I ride on a SAN and with the stock 850 lbs of ballast I have seen lots of riders pull some great tricks behind the boat. I have seen all sorts of inverts, flips, etc.. with only the stock 850 lbs of ballast. Why is it necessary to add all the ballast and make the wake huge, it just seems that with a bigger wake you do more damage to the sport. With a bigger wake more people bitch, the fisherman are pissed off, the dock owners are pissed off, the skiers are pissed off and it doesn't even seem necessary. Am I wrong or is there a reason for having a huge wake? It seems that if we all just used correct edging techniques a lot of the ballast would not be necessary. I have even seen one guy do flips off the wake on my old MB Sport 190 Plus which was a slalom boat with no ballast at all. What's the deal?
Old     (mjmurphy53711)      Join Date: Mar 2004       07-17-2006, 12:26 PM Reply   
Steve,

Sorry dude! You just look close to the rooster on that boat, must be due to Epic throwing a monster tail?

Nothing was intended.
Old     (liquidmx)      Join Date: Jun 2005       07-17-2006, 12:35 PM Reply   
Bocephus, while your point may be valid in your eyes, a lot of riders prefer a larger wake for more air time and a generally more fun experience. I am not saying that a smaller wake cannot be fun but I personally enjoy a big wake for the reasons stated below.

While everyone enjoys that feeling associated with completing a new trick or linking of tricks; some take more enjoyment out of grabbing and/or tweaking a trick (or at least attempting to, lol). The very validity of this is double ups, whats more fun than getting booted is high a possible? I think in general most riders are always looking to go bigger and spin slower and smoother, but thats just IMHO.
Old    bocephus            07-17-2006, 12:43 PM Reply   
ok.
Old     (jcv)      Join Date: Oct 2005       07-17-2006, 1:00 PM Reply   
Huge amounts of ballast really isn't necessary. A rider with good technique can do 95% of his/her tricks behind pretty much any V-Drive stock; maybe not quite as big or poked out, but we're talking about a difference of a foot or two max (going from 1000lbs. to 4000lbs.). From what I've seen, the bigger the wake gets, the less aggressively the average rider cuts. Therefore, you're not really going higher, just working less to achieve the same height. In my opinion, a big wake can hinder progression by allowing beginner/intermediate riders to rely almost solely on the wake for pop and then throwing the trick off the top, without forcing you to learn the fundamentals and building blocks for a certain trick. That said, if you've got the means to pay for the gas, and your lake isn't particularly strict (my lake, on the contrary, is on the verge of turning all the best riding locations into No Wake zones), I see nothing wrong with sacking the crap out of your boat. It is more fun, and everyone likes the "wow factor" of a huge wake.

(Message edited by jcv on July 17, 2006)
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       07-17-2006, 1:35 PM Reply   
Like everyone said.... A huge wake isn't essential, but it is necessary. I can land all my tricks behind a boat with stock ballast, but they aren't as big, clean and floaty feeling. I rode behind an X-star yesterday with almost stock ballast and had a great time. I even stuck some moves that I hadn't done in a while, but I just wasn't happy with how the tricks fealt. It's the same with rope length. You don't have to ride 80-85', but the extra time in the air just makes everything look better.
Old     (tommyg)      Join Date: Apr 2002       07-17-2006, 2:14 PM Reply   
I had a guy do a flip behind my boat outside of the wake. That was pretty sweet.

Similar to Bocephus, i run about 850 in my boat, and don't foresee my skills getting to the point where i ever need more...

different strokes i guess...