Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Video and Photography

Old     (jorellz)      Join Date: Aug 2004       02-03-2006, 11:50 AM Reply   
I have been reading peoples recommendations on cameras and noticed the comments that "Lens is everything".
What I am curious of, is there a cheap SLR out there that has alot of the basic features, which I can buy a high end lense for, play with...then get addicted and once I am, buy a good camera and still utilize the lense?
If so...any recommendations?

Thanks
Jase
Old     (mattyboyr6)      Join Date: Jul 2003       02-03-2006, 1:06 PM Reply   
I think the cheapest & most popular right now are Canon's EOS 10d and Nikon's D70. Both in the $800 range I believe. Of course if you buy used you can get it for even less. My vote, only becasue I allready own Canon, is really either one. They are both very good. Although I was about to buy the Nikon D70 just before I saw an ad for the Canon 20D. I think that the higher end glass for Canon is less expensive for a comperable nikor lens.

There seems to be 2 Olympus users on here that love their cameras as well. I have also read good things about the Sigma DSLR.
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       02-03-2006, 9:47 PM Reply   
I bought the new Nikon D50 in September, I am extremely happy. I have been using Nikons since I was a kid. The D50 is a bit smaller and lighter than the D70. Mattato might have been talking about the D50 since they are in the 700-800 range. They had them at Costco in December, can't beat their return policy.
Old     (twitch)      Join Date: Dec 2004       02-03-2006, 10:37 PM Reply   
from the readings i have been doing wait a few weeks and the prices will drop even more (new canon DSLR being released soon) and a 10d is goin on ebay now for $3-600
Old     (jorellz)      Join Date: Aug 2004       02-04-2006, 9:40 AM Reply   
Thanks guys, So if I buy glass for the Cannon do I have to stay cannon? Or is this a standardized sizing? lol My guess is probably not, not much in any industry that is standardized to allow you to switch companies!
I really like Cannon's products and probably will look at the 10D or the like. But if I buy glass for the 10D can I use it on the XT or the 20D and up? And I probably get this wrong, but is the recommended lense 700-300?
Thanks again everyone!
Jase
Old     (Walt)      Join Date: Jan 2003       02-04-2006, 10:54 AM Reply   

The lens is a big part of image quality but not every thing. The body plays a big role too !

I could be wrong but I think the Canon lens are proprietary.
Old     (scott_a)      Join Date: Dec 2002       02-06-2006, 1:35 AM Reply   
nikon d50 and canon rebel XT are the two popular sub $1000 bodies.

the 10D is discontinued, and the 20D was put in its place. you can still find the 10D used though, and probably for cheap.

for the most part all of the camera companies use their own ring to attach their lenses to their camera, so no, they arent gonna be interchangable. from everything that ive heard and read and experienced, id say that both canon and nikon both have great glass and great bodies. it just comes down to which set up you feel more comfortable with.
Old                02-06-2006, 5:22 AM Reply   
A friend just picked up the Olympus Digital SLR kit for about 1100.00 which comes with 2 lenses. A regular 14-45 and a 40-150 to start you out. Olympus has always been known for their glass, I think she made an excellent purchase.
Old     (jorellz)      Join Date: Aug 2004       02-06-2006, 8:05 AM Reply   
Thanks everyone! I guess I will just go play a little and see what I like. Any recommends on glass for the Nikon or Canon?

Thanks again
Jase
Old     (jnewton7)      Join Date: Jun 2005       02-06-2006, 8:27 AM Reply   
I bought a Canon 10d body only that was in excellent shape on fredmiranda.com in the buy/sell forums for $550.
Old     (eubanks01)      Join Date: Jun 2001       02-07-2006, 1:00 PM Reply   
Your lens need will be based on what you are shooting. For wakeboarding, the 70-200mm f/4L has become very popular. It is a great quality lens that can be had for a decent price...considering. I just got mine last week!

You should get the kit lens with whatever body you purchase and practice with it. You'll soon discover on your own what type of lenses you will want.