Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (nbush)      Join Date: Jun 2008       07-22-2008, 3:47 AM Reply   
i weigh 155-165 lbs
i want a pure surf style not skim
whats my best option?
been looking at shredstixx.
we have a hyperlite 5'6 and an obrien 5'.
the shredstixx jamako looks like a good "let everyone ride" board. can you still rip and shred with speed?

thanks

(Message edited by nbush on July 22, 2008)
Old    surfdad            07-22-2008, 7:22 AM Reply   
I don't think there is a definitive "best" board as everyone has different needs and preferences, but I would like to address your SS Jamako question.

I was fortune enough to attend the West Coast Tige Reunion/Ride for a cure at Rollins lake over the weekend.

Jerry Price of Shred Stixx asked me to take a JaMako up for use as a demo. This is a picture from the parking lot before we launched, it is an '08 model JaMako.

Upload
Old    surfdad            07-22-2008, 7:29 AM Reply   
The JaMako is designed as a performance board for big guys. I owned an older Jamako before the new construction and there have been some small but noticeable improvements over the years.

The outline of the board has remained pretty consistent over the years and this is one area that allows the JaMako to be ridden hard. If you look at most "big guy" or beginner boards, the outline of the rails is more straight - the JaMako has a graceful outline up towards the nose that allows hard top and bottom turns without grabbing up at the nose.

Upload
Old    surfdad            07-22-2008, 7:35 AM Reply   
The last change that I noticed was that this new Jamako has a slight V off the tail. The V is does a few things.

A quick description of a V is that the last foot or so comes to a peak down the middle or stringer of the board, the edges out at the rails are "lower".

The V does two things for a board, the first is that it allows an easier initiation of turns. The high point of the board will sit deeper in the water so that when you lean on rail, the lower rails will sink easier. The Jamako is a wide board, so this V improves the rail to rail responsiveness.

My crude representation, and this is a SERIOUS exaggeration of the V just for ease in conveying the concept.

Upload

As you can see it acts similarly to a teeter-totter, or a lever with the high point being the fulcrum.
Old    surfdad            07-22-2008, 7:43 AM Reply   
The last thing the V does is release well. Water is very sticky and it will wrap around curved surfaces tending to cause the board to stick to the surface. The V eliminates virtually all curved surfaces and that "sticktion", if you will.

I would say that the single best board for releasing off the tail is the SS Hazen Pro model and THAT board also has a slight V off the tail.

An old picture of Chase on what is the foundation of his Pro Model. This board had that V off the tail.

Upload
Old    surfdad            07-22-2008, 7:49 AM Reply   
I won't kid you the JaMako isn't going to air like the Hazen, but it has all the features to allow folks to air it.

I'd agree that it's a good all around board, for bigger guys - much bigger than your weight Neal at 155-165. Set up as a thruster it will be stable, for smaller riders with MUSCLE that can ride hard, it can still rip, but probably isn't the best SS option if you're looking for a strictly performance board at your weight.

Jerry, like most of the smaller manufacturers, is exceptionally informative and accessible. He'd be happy to talk to you about your needs, I'm sure.
Old     (nbush)      Join Date: Jun 2008       07-22-2008, 2:15 PM Reply   
is the thresher a better way to go?

and very informative post! thank you!
Old    surfdad            07-22-2008, 3:08 PM Reply   
You're welcome, glad that you found some useful info in there. I really get frustrated with folks that just spout unsupported opinions. The "my Coex is the best board ever!" is a waste of everyone's time and bandwidth.

The Thresher is a better fit for your weight range and it's one of Jerry's stock sizes, you can basically have it on your doorstep in a few days.

If you want his best board and Jerry will hate me for this, get this board, with 4WFS fins as a quad.

Upload
Old    surfdad            07-22-2008, 3:20 PM Reply   
With this tail

Upload
Old     (ds3)      Join Date: Jun 2008       07-22-2008, 7:39 PM Reply   
Ha ha, surfdad. That last SS board would have to be custom ordered and they are charging a LOT for it. But it is AWESOME, I rode that one in the pic, it is crazy fast!.

Neal, I have a SS Thresher and love the board. I am right at 165lbs. The Thresher can be ridden well by guys up to 200lbs still. They just have to work a little harder. The JaMako is easier to ride for bigger guys, but they can still ride the Thresher.

I can ride the JaMako pretty well, but you have to use a little more muscle to push the board around to get it up on the wave and sideways. But it is still fast and almost as maneuverable as the Thresher for me.

Either way you go, you won't be disappointed. But the Thresher is plenty of board for you. Unless you have a lot of guys over 200lbs. that are going to be sharing the board with you I would get the Thresher.

Derek
Old     (nbush)      Join Date: Jun 2008       07-22-2008, 11:54 PM Reply   
thanks a ton guys!
Old     (russ_dogg)      Join Date: Jul 2008       07-23-2008, 2:47 PM Reply   
Surf Dad... I noticed you are surfing off a MB- what do you run your tanks at, and how much weight where?????
I also have a mb and I cant quite perfect my wake yet..
Old    surfdad            07-23-2008, 8:58 PM Reply   
Hey Russ,

That MB belongs to Jerry Price of Shred Stixx, we didn't surf it that day, Jerry was acting as a chase boat during a photo shoot. I'm sure if you shot Jerry an email he'd be happy to tell you his ballast details.
Old     (nbush)      Join Date: Jun 2008       07-25-2008, 12:18 AM Reply   
gonna give jerry a call here soon!
thanks guys
Old     (trash4life)      Join Date: Jun 2005       07-27-2008, 6:52 PM Reply   
So how much is "a LOT"? Anyone know how much they are charging and how long the wait is for the board you mentioned Jeff? I'm interested.
Old    surfdad            07-27-2008, 7:14 PM Reply   
Hey Kenny, no I don't...give Jerry a call, he's a great guy and very accessible, tell him that you're interested in the Hazen Pro model as a Quad, with the 4wfs and new tail shape. Would you post up what he tells you, please?
Old     (crushing76)      Join Date: Feb 2007       07-27-2008, 8:24 PM Reply   
surf dad, what is "4wfs"? my guess is 4 wide fin setup??
Old     (codespanker)      Join Date: Jun 2008       07-27-2008, 8:30 PM Reply   
I talked to Jerry last week and he mentioned the Hazen was around $850 as it was still a custom.
Old    surfdad            07-27-2008, 8:30 PM Reply   
Four Way Fin System. Each of the fins can be adjusted for toe, cant and fore and aft, plus are removable. They also offer single and double foiled fins.

http://4wfs.com/

(Message edited by surfdad on July 27, 2008)