Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through September 23, 2004

Old     (waken23v)      Join Date: Jul 2002       09-01-2004, 9:44 PM Reply   
Well it looks like I will be off the wakeboard a while. The first doctor said 12 months and the second doctor said 6 months. I think I'll take the second opinion. I was at Lake Havasu with my wife, my daughter (2 years old) and cousin. We had great water on Sunday morning and were just having a blast. I was landing three farther out in the flats then I can remember and just want to land a backside 180. I had attempted it about 5 times. Every time I had gotten the handle pass with no problem (It feels too weird to just land it with the handle behind my back and then pass it after landing.). I just kept hitting the water and sticking versus riding through. In the attempt before the break, I had a little pain in my left knee just from lading hard and compressing. I mentioned it to the wife and she "Don't get hurt. You have to go to work tomorrow." Well those words came right back to haunt me. On the next attempt, the same thing happened but I felt something happen that didn't feel right. At first I thought I blew my knee out, Once I realized my knee was OK, I decided I better get my board off. Well, I suddenly realized that my left foot had a really loose hanging feeling. I then thought I broke my ankle. I let Deanna know that I think I broke my ankle or leg. I don't think she believed me until she saw the bone trying to pop through my shin when she was taking the binding off the board before I got in the boat. I have a spiral fracture of the tibia right above the top of my bindings and another of the fibula (sp?) higher up. I am scheduled for surgery on Friday. They are going to put a rod through Tib. They said I should be able to ride in about 6 months putting out until March. That means that I won't even have to break out the Dry suit for the winter season. I will still be happy to get the boat out for friends and family. I would also be happy to be a flag holder and boat driver for others. I was sitting in the emergency room realizing that I never had a chance to get a picture of the incident when a couple friends (Mark and Aly) walked into the room. They happened to have a digit camera in the car and took a couple pictures for me. The first one is a close up of my left shin. You can see the bulge where the break is. It doesn't do it justice unless you see the x-ray. Both bone look like a piece of celery that you twisted to break apart. And yes, I was able to save my binding (Belmont’s). I had my cousin pull out my toolbox while we were waiting for the paramedics. She just unscrewed everything from the bottom and then cut the end of the lace. A special thanks to my wife Deanna, her cousin Kimberly and Mark & Aly. They were very brave and efficient. They packed up our stuff, got the boat on the trailer & covered the boat just like pros. Deanna towed the boat home like a mad woman. I noticed the speedo at 85 once while we were going down the 40.

Broken Tibia

Thumbs Up