Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through January 12, 2008

Old     (john_prine)      Join Date: Nov 2006       11-26-2007, 9:51 PM Reply   
is the service department able to detect if their was a chip instaled on a engine ?.......Most chips can come out in 5-10 min.....if something were to happen to your engine and you took it in for warranty....but took the chip off before hand, would the dealer be able to tell if it was on ??????
Old     (bondo)      Join Date: Oct 2007       11-26-2007, 10:06 PM Reply   
Depends on brand. Some will leave a footprint on the ecu and will record the amount of key usage after the change.
I think if you play, you should pay, (depending on what it is). I have read elsewhere that some people like to grenade their trannys by having their boxes above safe operating range for their amount of supporting parts. Then they strip all of the power adders then take to dealer for warranty work. In some parts of the country it is called fraud, but it still happens. i have also heard that some dealers will look past the tuner boxes and do the work because they need work. I do autobody for a living, and if someone took one of our fresh paint jobs and washed it with a mitt covered in sand then used scratch x to hide it and returned it to me for warranty, I would be less than pleased or willing to help. Sorry so long winded. Steve
Old     (norcalmalibu)      Join Date: Jun 2004       11-26-2007, 10:11 PM Reply   
I'm not for sure on models from 05 or newer but fords required you to remove a bunch of glue like substance that is on the chip port. So right there a shop can tell that someone has been playing with it.
Old     (azpowerhouse)      Join Date: Jul 2007       11-26-2007, 10:11 PM Reply   
I believe that the cpu has a log that keeps track of settings that have changed. read up on some off-road mags, or truckin mags. I have read about stuff there.
It is not the fact that the chip is not visibly seen (most are plugged in, settings changed, then taken out, I think), it is the fact the cpu can be checked.
Old     (snwmot)      Join Date: Sep 2006       11-26-2007, 10:51 PM Reply   
ABSOULUTLEY NOT there is no way that Any of them leave a trace except damaged parts any good mechanic can tell that something broke because it was bieng pushed way harder than stock but the programers, chips any kind of tuner is undetectable.
Old     (bondo)      Join Date: Oct 2007       11-27-2007, 12:17 AM Reply   
riiight.
call dodge of monroe. Edge tuners change tuning parameters which set off a check engine light, which the edge tuner hides, but put a OBDII scaneer or any scanner that detect DTC codes and you'll find the engine trouble fault and how many times the key has cycled since. Now if these codes are the sefl fixing type they will reset over time, but the dealer can down load all of the truck history using the chrysler stars computer. If any more info is needed i can get you in contact with the people who built the original edge boxes (diesel dynamics). TST tuner throws engine codes non stop, and any handheld tuner shows that the ecu was reflashed when downloaded. Smarty aka MAds electronics is one company that guarantees that their programmer is fully undetectable, if you need info on that, I know BOb wagner, he is the middle man between Marco (creator of Mads electronics) and the U.S. market. Also, a stock dodge makes 30-35 lbs of boost, a tuner can get boost in the 40+ range my truck makes 80+lbs you dont think the ecu reads over boost codes? how about when the timing is cranked way up? How about wheen the Stock CP3(injection pump) see 22,000 psi of rail pressure? NOTHING?
RIIIIIGGGHHHHT! Ive been playing this diesel game for quite awhile now, i dont know much about boats, but diesel is another story. steve
Old     (azpowerhouse)      Join Date: Jul 2007       11-27-2007, 1:10 AM Reply   
haha, I was waiting for that.
Old     (dunesday)      Join Date: Nov 2007       11-27-2007, 7:06 AM Reply   
As stated before,, the Ford requires that you strip off a layer of silicon from the pcm (for a chip not a programmer) that is a dead giveaway right there. Like Steve, I have been tinkering in the diesel game for quite a while. "Most" problems occur with the mod'd diesels from people not installing the supporting mods to the power adders, ie; Quality intake, exhaust, gauges, upgraded tranny, upgraded turbo, headstuds, upgraded after cooler, etc.. It is fairly easy to grenade an engine/tranny by popping in a hot chip on an otherwise stock drivetrain and flogging the poor thing to death without knowledge of acceptagle egts (exhaust gas temps) tranny temps, boost limits etc.

My truck has been upgraded to pull very strong and be dependable. I spent ALOT of time reading and asking questins on diesel forums such as the dieselstop.com and now poerstrokenation.com . I suggest that if ou would like to start modding your diesel,, you too join a good diesel site and learn from others who have blown a TON of cash blowing up their stuff. If you think pimpin out a boat is expensive.....

Brian
Old    malibu_nut            11-27-2007, 11:39 AM Reply   
Tuners can leave an altered pattern on the tops of the pistons that is different from the stock pattern. The pattern is caused from an altered injector spray pattern. the dealer would have to be pretty desperate to go to these lengths no accuse you of having a programmer or chip though.
Upload
Old     (mnwake476)      Join Date: Apr 2007       11-27-2007, 2:39 PM Reply   
the short answer is yes, but many dealers are ok with mods. It really comes down to the dealer to know if it is ok to run a chip or programmer.
Old     (tcaton)      Join Date: Sep 2002       11-27-2007, 7:00 PM Reply   
Steve/Bondo You a member on NW Bombers?? I have checked codes with my smarty and never get any codes from running my Edge drag comp. Is this only with the 3 gen trucks?? You running twins to get 80 psi of boost. I only run alitle over 60 with my twins. sorry for the hijack. Still think a Smarty would be fine to run on your truck John and still be safe for your stock tranny but beware once bittin you might not be able to stop Bombing your Dodge
Old     (bondo)      Join Date: Oct 2007       11-28-2007, 6:52 AM Reply   
With my wastegate completely closed and when the truck goes into lock up at wide open throttle 80lbs boost spikes are common infact I have 3 or 4 intercooler boots to support this claim. MB TOM, in John prines other posts, he asks about the trans and ensine parts of the late model cummins, also he speaks of warranty, which leads me to believe he isnt driving a vp44 powered pickup. Yeah I am a member of the bombers, and turbo diesel register, and Compdiesel. But Lately have been using factory diesel repair manuals as time fillers and betime literature, gonna try to get a diesel repair certification. The usual codes that the dealer finds is p0234 and crankshaft sensor. Dodge had plastic intercoolers on the trucks in 04-05 and they were blowing apart when boost fooler boxes and fueling boxes were applied, so the dealer took notice of what codes were thrown, put them in the TSB and started digging. If i were to do a "undetectable" modification to my truck ( if it were stock again) it would be 50 horsepower injectors, that is it! The idle better, better MPG, more power, and the dealer is looking for electronics changes, not at the microscopic holes on your injectors. Just my thought. steve
Old     (tcaton)      Join Date: Sep 2002       11-28-2007, 8:33 PM Reply   
Good call Steve but if the dealer looks hard enough can't they also look at injector flow rates and notice it is flowing more than stock. I know they quit making the plastic side tanks on the 05 intercoolers and are replacing them with metal. I have a friend that while pulling his boat up a hill blew the side tank out on his running a quadzilla 60hp box dealer put a new intercooler in under warranty. I think if the dealer digs hard enough they can find anything. Also not saying you can not hit 80psi of boost. I can hit that too with the wastegate closed. Gotta love Twins.

(Message edited by tcaton on November 28, 2007)