Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through October 15, 2006

Old     (dgoulet)      Join Date: Aug 2006       10-02-2006, 8:56 AM Reply   
My main home is in Montreal, Canada, but I have an apartment in Durham, NC since I go to school at Duke University. I will buy a used boat at the end of next semester and I was wondering how it worked for boat registration. If I buy a boat in another state, for instance Michigan, do I have to drive all the way back down to North Carolina to get it registered and then drive up to cross the border? I want to have it registered in the US because I dont want to pay customs and taxes.What do you guys think? Also if any of you have boats for sale in the range of 11k to 16k, please let me know.
Old     (jonblarc7)      Join Date: Jul 2006       10-03-2006, 8:32 AM Reply   
I'm not sure about driving back to North Carolina but I live in NC and bought my super sport in TN and found out the hard way that regestering an out of state boat is a pain in the a** in NC. Make sure you have the noterized bill of sale and old registration.
Old     (wakesetter101)      Join Date: Oct 2005       10-03-2006, 1:30 PM Reply   
I bought my boat in PA and had no problems getting it registered in NC. What problems did you have Blair?
Old     (jonblarc7)      Join Date: Jul 2006       10-03-2006, 1:57 PM Reply   
I took the registration to a dealer in Thomasville and the lady told me what i had wasn't good for anything and I was going to have to drive to Raleigh to get it done. So after making some calls I went to Grandpa's marine and had it done with little hassel. But because the boat and trailer was brouchaged to me I'm steal having trouble getting the trailer tags. Because the same place sold the boat twice the DMV is being an a** and saying the trailer can't be titled twice with out it being sold back to the dealership for them to sell it to me. If you understand that, I'm not the best writer.
Old     (dgoulet)      Join Date: Aug 2006       10-03-2006, 5:56 PM Reply   
Big E., what did you have to do to get it registered in NC? Did you have to bring the boat somewhere? pay taxes? any details would help because I have no clue what to do.
Old     (dgoulet)      Join Date: Aug 2006       10-04-2006, 8:30 PM Reply   
?????
Old     (jonblarc7)      Join Date: Jul 2006       10-05-2006, 6:21 AM Reply   
Well I'll answer and say that I didn't pay taxes. Its not as bad as I made it sound just make sure your working with someone that knows what their doing.