Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (lakerat34)      Join Date: Nov 2009       03-18-2010, 4:25 AM Reply   
I have been dealing with wakemakers in installing my own ballast system. They are pretty impressive from talking to them with alot of knowledge. They show just a basic raw water intake that appears to mount flush against the bottom of theboat but on some nautiques that I have looked at has the brass scoop on them. My question is does it matter what kind of intake I use with my jabsco pumps? They also tell me to use just 1" plumbing. I'm wondering if 1 1/4" would be better as far as filling my bags up quicker or would I not notice that much difference? Any advice would be much appreciated. I'm just making sure that I do things right the first time.
Old     (jonblarc7)      Join Date: Jul 2006       03-18-2010, 6:33 AM Reply   
Jabsco is self priming so there is no need for a scoop style intake. If you were using an areator type pump you would need a scoop to help prim the pump.
Old     (seth)      Join Date: Sep 2002       03-18-2010, 8:45 AM Reply   
I used the stock scoop and a 1 1/4" mushroom on my SAN ballast install. I will still get some push by (water pushed by ballast puppy) from the scoop intake even with the green impellars.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       03-18-2010, 10:36 AM Reply   
Scott, do you have two intakes? not sure how you have a scoop and a mushroom. again, no need for a scoop with impeller style pumps...

aerators = scoop
impellers = mushroom
Old     (duffymahoney)      Join Date: Sep 2008       03-18-2010, 12:26 PM Reply   
Do not use scoop on aerators. If you design your system right you will not need it to prime. The pumps just need to below waterline. Using a scoop you will need to add some sort of valve to the system. Without a valve the scoop will force fill the ballast system. On my last two boats mushroom type worked great and I never have issues with priming.
Old     (spencerwm)      Join Date: Feb 2009       03-18-2010, 3:19 PM Reply   
lakerat34 quote: "I'm wondering if 1 1/4" would be better as far as filling my bags up quicker or would I not notice that much difference?"

You do not need to go with anything larger than 1". We use 1" ballast hose with the Jabsco ballast puppy pumps because it is easy to install and that is how Mastercraft, MB, Supra, and Moomba all plumb their systems. Using 3/4" hose would give you around the same flow rate.

Thanks for the props lakerat34. I will put a star next to Jason's name. He is the man when it comes to Wakeboard Ballast.
Old     (lakerat34)      Join Date: Nov 2009       03-18-2010, 3:20 PM Reply   
Thanks for the info guys. I'm just making sure that I do the install right the first time. If anyone has any great suggestions on my install for my 04 air nautique 211 or even good pics to give me ideas would be great as well.
Old     (lakerat34)      Join Date: Nov 2009       03-19-2010, 3:22 AM Reply   
Jason definitely knows what he is talking about. He has helped me out tremendously. 2 thumbs up for wakemakers!!!
Old     (vr6mole)      Join Date: Feb 2009       03-19-2010, 4:08 AM Reply   
From our testing we found that there are advantages when running 1 inch hose over 3/4 inch with a tsunami 1200.

Going anything larger might not be worth it since Fly High only has 3/4 or 1 inch fittings. You might be able to source some 1 1/4 fittings from Flow-Rite directly but that might get a bit involved.
Old     (tuneman)      Join Date: Mar 2002       03-19-2010, 10:59 AM Reply   
If you already have scoops, use 'em for your impeller pump. If you don't have the thru hulls yet, buy mushrooms. Like stated earlier, mushrooms are a lot less hassle and not required for impeller or aerator pumps.

Definitely use 1" hose and not 1-1/4". You won't gain any filling advantage and finding 1-1/4" fittings is a PITA.
Old     (lakerat34)      Join Date: Nov 2009       03-19-2010, 3:20 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuneman View Post
If you already have scoops, use 'em for your impeller pump. If you don't have the thru hulls yet, buy mushrooms. Like stated earlier, mushrooms are a lot less hassle and not required for impeller or aerator pumps.

Definitely use 1" hose and not 1-1/4". You won't gain any filling advantage and finding 1-1/4" fittings is a PITA.
Thanks tuneman, I haven't installed anythng yet so I will go with mushroom intake. I am assuming one intake would be ok to feed 3 jabsco pumps right? I really don't want to make swiss cheese out of my new boat lol.
Old     (justintime)      Join Date: Mar 2009       03-24-2010, 12:20 PM Reply   
scoops will fill on the move

mushrooms can also, but not moving that fast

thats the difference

it is call a high speed scoop