Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (Bumpass1)      Join Date: Oct 2010       06-23-2013, 5:34 PM Reply   
I redid some of the stereo over the winter and have not had much opportunity to use it this summer. The problem I saw over the weekend was that after running loud enough for the rider to hear, the tower amp would shut off for bit. Volume on the ZLD is around 50%. As soon as I turned the music down the amp would kick back in. I did notice the PRT light flick on when the amp tower speakers would drop out. THe amp was hot to the touch.

The setup is Kicker KM6500.2 speakers run on a Kicker IX500.4 bridged to each speaker. Power provided by 2 gauge to distribution block then 4 gauge to the amps. Also powering a Kicker ZX500.1 (sub) off of the same distribution block also with 4 gauge power. I checked and verified that the speakers are measuring 4ohms (actually 4.7) at the speaker input at the amp. Not sure what is going on. I'm not having any issues with the inboats or the sub.

The amp in question is mounted behind the battery with about 3" of clearance in front of the amp. I guess it could be an issue with installation placement, but not sure. Don't really want to move it to a different if I don't have to. Any ideas on what could be going on would be helpful.

Thanks guys.
Old     (david_e_m)      Join Date: Jul 2008       06-23-2013, 5:54 PM Reply   
Low voltage, thermal, or a combination of both can shut down an amplifier. However, the other amplifiers are not exhibiting the same behavior. And the tower amplifier does not have an inordinately low load or a particularly difficult load. It also seems from your discription that the tower amplifier is turning off too early for a thermal issue. Usually this requires a period of time.
If all the measureables appear to be okay then proceed this way.
Try one tower speaker at a time with the other amplifier terminals disconnected. Then try one speaker on one channel only in the stereo mode rather than bridged.
Trying to find a normal mode of consistent operation is a good start. Then keep adding channels or bridging one side at a time until you see the problem appear again. At that point you have a strong clue.

David
Earmark Marine
Old     (Bumpass1)      Join Date: Oct 2010       06-23-2013, 6:02 PM Reply   
Thanks David. That give me a direction to go in.
Old     (philwsailz)      Join Date: Feb 2009       06-25-2013, 9:37 AM Reply   
What are gains set at? Bass boost? Crossover?

Some tweaking of basic settings probably will prevent it based on your description.

Phil
Kicker