Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Trick Tips

Old    ponchevez            11-03-2003, 10:28 AM Reply   
I wanna hear you guys... how did you started with this triks? and how long did it took you to land them the first time...Is there someone that landed a roll before a 360? 'cause I have a friend that almost lands a roll but can't even land a 180! ... lol

I only do 180's and 360's and they took me some time...
Old    blindsiderider            11-03-2003, 11:47 AM Reply   
I learned a backroll and a tantrum way before the 360
Old     (projectely4)      Join Date: Apr 2003       11-03-2003, 2:52 PM Reply   
i learned a backroll before i learned 360's
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       11-03-2003, 2:59 PM Reply   
Opposite for me. I learned to spin first. 180s came quick in the first season. 3's took considerably longer.
Old     (puckinshat)      Join Date: Sep 2003       11-03-2003, 3:31 PM Reply   
I landed HS 360 right away after I learned BS surface 180s. TS 3 came the last run of the season on my first try. Tantrum and Backrolls, what a joke. I have rung my bell and ruined countless days trying them, not even close on any attempt. I blame my wake but I know its just me.
Old     (thor)      Join Date: Oct 2001       11-03-2003, 3:40 PM Reply   
180'S First, backrolls second, tried 360's next and hurt myself, blown ear drum, so I'm laying off those for awhile. Working on scarecrows right now.
Old     (rock_n_boardin)      Join Date: May 2003       11-03-2003, 3:44 PM Reply   
I have been told that a TS 3 is easier than a HS 3. Any feedback? I have been visualizing it and the more I think about it, the more I think that it's probably true. I have not been out since I was told the TS was easier, but I want to give it a try soon.

It could be that a HS 3 is easier if you have a weak TS wake to wake jump. But once you have the TS wake to wake down, it's the easier one to pull a 3 off of.

Old     (dcervenka)      Join Date: Sep 2002       11-03-2003, 5:16 PM Reply   
HS blind 1 to HS BS 3 to HS backroll to TS front flip (still working on this one..)

Old     (deepstructure)      Join Date: Jun 2002       11-03-2003, 6:55 PM Reply   
i guess some folks find the bs spins easier? i havent landed a bs spin yet - i havent really tried much, i just assumed they were harder and wanted to get my hs/ts fs spins down first.

my progress was hs/ts 180s, backroll, tantrum, hs fs 3, ts fs 3.
Old    steveaz            11-03-2003, 7:18 PM Reply   
180's, HS FS 3, tantrum, backroll, raley, 180 to blind, TS backroll, HS BS 3.... in that order

Can't spin for crap T/S, just 180's
Old    lachlantait            11-03-2003, 11:05 PM Reply   
yeah wake to wake, then tried hs bs 180's have stuck afew, tried 360's and have landed 2 or 3, tried countless times to wip out a backroll.
i have been boarding for 2 years (maybe 3 cant remember) so i have !@#$ all to show for it
Old    cbreed            11-04-2003, 12:35 AM Reply   
I have this friend who can do a tantrum, backroll and front roll. He cant'd do a 180, he barly can land a wakejump consistantly. Everyone is different in learning tricks, but we all must be ready to fall a lot as we get better.
Old                11-12-2003, 9:42 AM Reply   
i learned frontroll, backroll, scarecrow, tantrum, still cant stick 180s haha
Old                11-12-2003, 3:59 PM Reply   
robert i think your lying how can you do a 180 front flip but not a 180 its possible but very unlikely

oh i landed 180s grab 180s wake to wake 360's grabe 3's wake to wake backside 180s backside 360s then 1 540 didnt come much more than 360s on other triesand then i did 1 or 2 toeside backrolls at end of season

(Message edited by jimmbo66 on November 12, 2003)
Old     (jonb)      Join Date: Oct 2003       11-12-2003, 4:02 PM Reply   
my friend does tantrums and he cant do a 180.
Old     (deepstructure)      Join Date: Jun 2002       11-12-2003, 4:16 PM Reply   
we also have a friend that can do backrolls and tantrums and nice method grabs, but no 180s.
Old     (sloshake)      Join Date: Mar 2003       11-13-2003, 10:16 AM Reply   
Does this mean if I can pull off a 360, I should have enough air to make a serious attempt at a roll or tantrum? I can do fs 180s, but bs's hurt. I landed a couple 360s, but not holding onto the rope at that point.

Always been too chicken too attempt any invert for fear of hitting water halfway through.
Old     (deepstructure)      Join Date: Jun 2002       11-13-2003, 12:40 PM Reply   
gerald, although rolls and tantrums can be done without any wake, with both of those a moderate amount of edging technique is needed. just because you can do a spin doesn't mean you have enough pop to cleanly do an invert.

3s can be done without almost any height or edging technique - its just about popping up and getting the handle, even in the flats with ollie 3s. edging for a roll or tantrum, especially in the flats but also off the wake is completely different. my guess is if you try it now you would come up short.

work on your edge coming into the wake. make sure you're comfortable edging all the way thru to the top of the wake, getting lift off the top and maintaining control in the air and on the landing. if you can do this comfortably, then i would say go for a roll.
Old     (tantrum999)      Join Date: Jun 2003       11-13-2003, 4:17 PM Reply   
I know guys who land tantrums and back rolls that cant even do nice laid out wake to wake non invert tricks.
i knew someone when i started riding that could throw a front roll and and thought "WOW" and then fast realised that he cant do even do a wake to wake toe or heelside jump! its crazy and its the only trick he knows. He spent alot of money on coaching at the famous princes club in the uk. its so boring to watch after two times throwing it, he does a front roll then just crosses Back without jumping then does it again!
sounds unbelievable but dead true. He did pop his acl while i was in the boat.

I learnt all my 180s every which way with grabs and same with spinning before inverting. Think it is a matter of preference but basic riding is what makes you have the position and awareness to get yourself out of trouble and understanding of what you are doing wrong when you try more complex tricks.

Working hard on basic big moves like big stylish grabs shiftys ect then to all 180s and 360s make i think a more stylish rider before inverting.

this is not always the case though as it has alot to do with ability also. some think it is madness to do anything but a flip.

I like watching necrasson and his big laid out 180s.