Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through April 09, 2007

Old     (j3t_m3ch)      Join Date: Jun 2006       03-15-2007, 12:14 PM Reply   
My MIL came on today and I was just wondering if there was a "usual" thing that causes this (bad sensor...vavle..etc) I'm guessing it's emissions but I definately don't wanna take it in if I can fix it myself. I can keep a jet in the sky but its a different story trying to keep my truck on the road!! Any suggestions?? Thanks
Old     (siuski)      Join Date: Feb 2003       03-15-2007, 12:28 PM Reply   
MIL?? I assume that is the check engine light? Get a cheap scanner to see what the code is. Then do some research online of that code and possible fixes. I just fixed a P0171 code, which was a "lean mixture in left bank" in my dd. BTW lookup scangage II. I bought one, it a little more expensive than the regular scanners, but also will give you mpg, load, man pressure, trip info, etc. pretty cool
Old     (spoonman)      Join Date: Aug 2005       03-15-2007, 12:32 PM Reply   
Try this,cycle your key in the ingition 3 times ending in ON. watch your odometer display it will give you the p-code then post back or PM me I'll see if I can help.

It will take a few secs to get to the code.
Old     (iagainsti)      Join Date: Apr 2004       03-15-2007, 1:40 PM Reply   
I got almost the same code on my 05 Ram-Same issue "lean mixture in left bank " Turned out to be Bad O2 sensor
Old     (wakeboardin)      Join Date: Apr 2001       03-15-2007, 1:46 PM Reply   
Can't really answer but just wanted to share that the local parts store chain AutoZone has the OB2 (I think) scanners and loan them for free. You need to leave your license and credit card. I just drive there and then ask to borrow it and then it provides the codes and then they will look them up and tell you what needs to be changed. then you can clear it as well from the scanner. This has saved me mucho bucks from having to visit the stealership.

Good luck,
Old     (siuski)      Join Date: Feb 2003       03-15-2007, 2:12 PM Reply   
KG-you're lucky..that is the code's basic solution in the autozone's (and o'reily, etc)manual, but often isn't the root cause. I changed everything in between the o2 sensor and air filter before I finally found a vacuum tube that controlled the fuel pressure reg was cracked (hidden) that was letting in more air than the engine could add fuel for and not letting the reg do it's job.

Moral of the story: $2.50 in tubing vs $80 for an 02 sensor. The auto parts stores can help in getting to the solution, but do some research first so you don't have to replace more than you need. Unless you get a sharp guy (or gal) at one, they just read the script.
Old     (seattle)      Join Date: Mar 2002       03-15-2007, 5:15 PM Reply   
Have you checked to see if your gas cap is sealing closed? I have a buddy who was convinced his 02 sensor's were going out (there are four on your truck two in two out) He noticed a sucking sound while standing next to his gas cap, and realized the seal was shot. He replaced the seal, and bam... no more check engine.

I'm not saying that's your problem, but might as well check it before paying to have the fault code checked.
Old     (j3t_m3ch)      Join Date: Jun 2006       03-15-2007, 11:16 PM Reply   
Well I cycled the key 3X's (which is awesome cuz I never knew that) and it kicked out a p0138 code. I googled it and it said it was an o2 sensor...I think. I didn't know you could check out scanners too...I'll have to try that sometime! I'll give er a good lookover tomorrow am before work and see if something don't look/sound right. Thanks for all the advice and info guys. I'll take more if anyones had that 138 code!!
Old     (spoonman)      Join Date: Aug 2005       03-16-2007, 6:22 AM Reply   
I did not remember a p0138 off the top of my head so I checked the diag. manual and it is not listed as a code for a 01 ram with a 5.9 which I assumed was the motor that you have. Could it have been a p0135 as this is a common prob relating to the O2 heater.There is a software flash for the 135/141 code.

I have run into code from the key cycle that were not the correct numbers before, mostly on evap codes. If it still says p0138 you may have auto zone check it and see if you get a different one.

The software flash will have to be done by your dealer and would be covered under federal emissions warranty if you are still under 6/80k
If you dont have a relationship with your dealer(service or purchase)I would advise calling them first because some dealers do not want to warranty flashes for their non-customers.
Old     (j3t_m3ch)      Join Date: Jun 2006       03-16-2007, 6:55 AM Reply   
I have the 318 (5.2L) and when I took my kid to daycare today.....The light was gone? I dont know if it fixed itself or what the deal is. It was a P0138 code though. Maybe that is a code for the 5.2L? Do they disappear by themselves often?! Thanks for the help spoonman!