Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through June 18, 2006

Old     (duffy)      Join Date: Feb 2006       05-17-2006, 5:12 AM Reply   
Im looking for some pulls this summer in the Tampa area. I currently ride at Lake Weir but cant always get up there. Also Byrd gave me a pull at lake Wales last Saturday nice boat to.Ive always had my own boat,but I sold it to save for another one so Im SOL this summer.You guys know what its like to have your own then have to find a ride. Im just looking for an occasional pull on Sundays really I have a ride Fri-Sat. Im a serious rider I want to always get better so early mornings ,evenings I dont care I have gas money and my own gear. I would even pay a little extra if I could find someone really good to help me improve. Plus it gives you a whole lot more style and dimension riding with other people.
Old     (dreevs)      Join Date: Jul 2002       05-17-2006, 10:31 AM Reply   
Thats funny.
Old    i_wanna_ride            05-17-2006, 6:04 PM Reply   
That is funny... Im lookin to ride as much as possible, i live in the tampa area but am moving to port harbor in july... Im pretty serious myself, ive got an exstensive background in rollerblading and snowboarding.... Lake Weir,,, Gators in that lake? wheres it at.... Holla
Old     (dreevs)      Join Date: Jul 2002       05-18-2006, 5:34 AM Reply   
Gators is a bar and grill on the beach on Lake Weir. No alligators where we ride. Its about an hour north east from you. Ride up with Duffy. We usually ride Friday afternoon, Saturday, and most Sundays.
Old    cttampa            05-24-2006, 1:25 PM Reply   
duff, ted wazz up...just moved off lake mag...have a few guys i ride with over there on a few different boats...we ride daily...give me a buzz if your in the area...
Old     (timmy)      Join Date: Jul 2001       05-24-2006, 2:00 PM Reply   
there are alligators in lake weir. i have seen them!
Old     (cinder1995)      Join Date: Aug 2002       05-24-2006, 6:23 PM Reply   
There's alligators here?
Old     (timmy)      Join Date: Jul 2001       05-24-2006, 8:05 PM Reply   
haha yeah imagine that alligators in FL!

Old     (dreevs)      Join Date: Jul 2002       05-31-2006, 5:47 AM Reply   
I didnt say they werent there, just not where we ride... I hear that they LOVE to attack jet skis on Lake Weir - and tubers.
Old     (dreevs)      Join Date: Jul 2002       05-31-2006, 5:48 AM Reply   
Whats up Chris? I recognize you from your profile pic...
Old    cttampa            05-31-2006, 6:31 AM Reply   
long time no speak...we have bee riding pretty hard every day off lake mag...JD, about 6 other guys, and I are taking a wb trip from dallas to tampa zig zagging...we will be in your area around 06/07...we should meet up or you guys could stop in for the final party (right by dan's old pad)..you guys killin it on weir? Tim i heard the same rumor about jet ski/tubers..
Old     (dreevs)      Join Date: Jul 2002       05-31-2006, 7:53 AM Reply   
Sounds good. Shoot me an email if you are in the area. You must be having good water at Mag - cuz JD wont ride unless its perfect.
We are out every weekend at Weir and most Friday afternoons - a few of us are recovering from wake related injuries, but I think we will all be back on the water friday.
Old    cttampa            05-31-2006, 1:23 PM Reply   
JD still ives in Dallas with the ocean swell size chop...We are taking his new 210 and a rv back this way though...I'll let you know if we are going to stop in the Ocala area...If not i'll let you know when the party is...Acl's?
Old     (timmy)      Join Date: Jul 2001       05-31-2006, 2:05 PM Reply   
there is a small chance i might go to ocala this weekend, and a high chance that i'll be there the 25th/26th
Old     (dreevs)      Join Date: Jul 2002       06-01-2006, 5:46 AM Reply   
Tim - we are riding for sure Saturday, but may start Friday evening. Come on up.
Chris - we thought mine was a torn acl, but the doc said it was a sprain and stretched tendons after the MRI. Friend of mine Steve tore up his shoulder pretty bad on some rails or was it a spin - cant remember. Then theres Duffy, he doesnt know if he's hurt in the shoulder or if he' head to many times...
Old     (dreevs)      Join Date: Jul 2002       06-01-2006, 5:48 AM Reply   
That was weird - I meant to say hit his head and all those red things popped up?
Old     (timmy)      Join Date: Jul 2001       06-01-2006, 6:01 AM Reply   
I got some peer pressure to go up now (sunset harbor of course)
Old     (dreevs)      Join Date: Jul 2002       06-01-2006, 6:44 AM Reply   
Worried about the Carney Island gators?
Old    cttampa            06-01-2006, 7:24 AM Reply   
yikes...rock the brace bro...i did the same not to long ago and i still rock the brace...helps alot...what kind of moves are you guys stickin now?
Old     (dreevs)      Join Date: Jul 2002       06-01-2006, 7:41 AM Reply   
Duffy has the one footed Raley to face plant down pat.
I have the mute grabbed 360 to concussion down pretty good.
Old    cttampa            06-01-2006, 8:10 AM Reply   
One footed? man, he is on to something there...360 to concussion, classic...I started practicing all my big spins and inverts off the triple up and then bringing them to the wake...really helped ...3's, 5's, tant's, bat's, method's, back's,...some of the other guys im riding with are going through the faceplant/concussion phase...glad to be on the end...you still got the vlx?
Old     (dreevs)      Join Date: Jul 2002       06-01-2006, 10:40 AM Reply   
Still got it. Best boat out there IMO.
Old     (bflat53212)      Join Date: Mar 2003       06-01-2006, 1:15 PM Reply   
Hey, what's up guys? Ted if you do end up going on Saturday for sure and someone else is coming up from Tampa, I would be willing to carpool. I have been hitting the gym this week and the shoulder is slowly getting better. We'll see how it feels with the pull of the boat.
Old    i_wanna_ride            06-02-2006, 5:08 AM Reply   
What up? Any chance of doin some riding. In the Tampa area, trying to get some riding in before lake tower contest on sunday... Anyone headed out fri, or sat... Holla
Old     (dreevs)      Join Date: Jul 2002       06-02-2006, 5:24 AM Reply   
Steve - yeah we are riding saturday. I havent heard from Duffy, last I knew he went offshore fishing in Pensacola or something like that. Maybe you and Dave can carpool up? I have two other wakeworld guys coming up from Orlando too so it should be a good time.
Old     (hypedrider7)      Join Date: Jun 2004       06-02-2006, 10:54 AM Reply   
Dave have you rode the Tower lake contests before? I have heard that lake is super tiny.
Old     (timmy)      Join Date: Jul 2001       06-02-2006, 11:48 AM Reply   
ted looks like I am gonna be staying in indiana this weekend. I will be at weir the weekend of june 25th for sure though!
Old    i_wanna_ride            06-02-2006, 11:49 AM Reply   
no, havent ridden that contest... basically i just need to ride whether it be contest or not.. lookin forward to it though, its like 15 to 20 min from my house so i figure why not go...
Old     (dreevs)      Join Date: Jul 2002       06-02-2006, 1:12 PM Reply   
Jerrod, the lake is pretty small. Be ready to throw down quick. Its still a lot of fun though.
Old     (dreevs)      Join Date: Jul 2002       06-02-2006, 1:13 PM Reply   
Tim - where in Indiana?
Old     (timmy)      Join Date: Jul 2001       06-02-2006, 1:59 PM Reply   
indianapolis, I am up here for work for a few weeks
Old     (hypedrider7)      Join Date: Jun 2004       06-02-2006, 2:05 PM Reply   
Ted, thats whats I hear about the lake. I never really do contests anymore. I would rather be on the lake with a group of friends riding all day.
Old     (taylormade)      Join Date: Jun 2001       06-02-2006, 2:15 PM Reply   
while I'm by no means a "serious" rider ( I suck) I do try to take a set every day, and I do ride with very serious riders who throw down. I'd be down to help some folks out every now and then in Tampa. I live on a ski lake right off 75 and I4 just north of Brandon. Problem for me is most of my sets are very rarely planned out. Perhaps we can have a Tampa area ww.com hang one weekend on what we're starting to refer to as beer can island on my lake.
Old     (cinder1995)      Join Date: Aug 2002       06-03-2006, 4:11 AM Reply   
Scott- I was out on Lake Mango a couple of years back. I drove by there the other day and noticed that the number of houses/boats doubled. How do yall manage with the lake not being very big?
Old     (taylormade)      Join Date: Jun 2001       06-03-2006, 4:30 AM Reply   
I often wonder the same thing, Eric, but I'll tell ya, on the weekends, before 3pm, we're usually the only boats out. On weekdays, we're almost always the only boat out until 5:30-6pm, and then the majority of the boats are just sunset pontooners.
Old     (dreevs)      Join Date: Jul 2002       06-03-2006, 4:43 AM Reply   
A Tampa area wake event or wakeworld type party where everyone could bring their boat would be a really good time. I would be up for it.
Old     (rippin24)      Join Date: May 2001       06-03-2006, 11:36 AM Reply   
Would there be an interest for real, to have a boat owner ride day in the Tampa area, maybe Lake Tarpon? or would that be better in the Ocala area, if the response is there we would gladly host the event, and make it all happen, get riders, mags, etc.. out there! So hows the central fla, ocala area doing for shops, and overall wake/boating scene?

Sun June 4th Tower Lake, yes smaller lake but great for tournaments, and crowd appeal, great time laid back, good people and friends, and some great riding! Bring your ez-up, some drinks and friends! C U THERE!
www.blisssports.com

(Message edited by rippin24 on June 03, 2006)
Old     (dreevs)      Join Date: Jul 2002       06-05-2006, 5:51 AM Reply   
Lake Weir has some of the sickest riders in the area on it. The majority of boats are wake boats - Malibu is thick on this lake, seconded by Centurion, Mastercrafts, Air Nautiques, and Moomba just started making a prsence this spring with Land O Lakes opening their extension shop. Ski Boat Solutions in Ocala handles the Malibus and is the local wakeboard boat and accessory dealer. Great bunch of guys in there.
Centurion Boats just held an event - Sport City Shoot Out, that attracted a lot of riders and wake boats alike, but I think it could have been bigger.
Gators Bar and Grill is right on the water with a nice sandy beach to hold events on, and there is a large state park - Carney Island that can easily host an event as well. The best part is that if one of those two areas is blown out, the other is on the opposite side of the lake and will allow for good water.
I would love to help out any way I can.
Old     (bflat53212)      Join Date: Mar 2003       06-05-2006, 6:09 AM Reply   
I agree with Ted. I travel up from Tampa to ride on this lake because it's fun and usually good conditions. Even in the middle of the day on Saturday with beautiful weather we were able to find decent water to ride. I am never disappointed that I took the time to make the trek up. From North Tampa it's about 1hr 30min. with no stops along the way.
Old     (timmy)      Join Date: Jul 2001       06-05-2006, 8:28 AM Reply   
The sport city shootout was not advertised very well, the wind was out of a bad direction, not enough boat parking at Gator Joes, we opted to stay and ride in sunset harbor all day rather than watching some pros ride for a bit.

I often drive 3.5 hours to get to lake weir to ride all weekend with buds.
Old     (rippin24)      Join Date: May 2001       06-05-2006, 9:57 AM Reply   
OK so lets get a real role call, for the Central Fla area, and a poll! Tampa or Ocala ? and for real how many would be interested in a riders/boat owners get together, not a tournamnet, just a meet and greet, and ride day! If the numbers are good it could draw some serious coverage and fun for all those involved let me know what your thoughts all are on this.
Old     (bflat53212)      Join Date: Mar 2003       06-05-2006, 10:07 AM Reply   
I would be down, but I am a non-boat owner. I will leave the location vote to those who actually have to tow a boat.
Old    cttampa            06-05-2006, 10:26 AM Reply   
I would be down...I live off Lake Mag in Tampa and know a few guys who would like to show...We have a few boats we sesh behind...I'm cool with either...We need a band, booze, and a place to hang though...
Old     (dreevs)      Join Date: Jul 2002       06-05-2006, 10:50 AM Reply   
I have been on Tarpon and Weir. I really think Weir would be a better place for this type of event. Im sure bands could set up in the park, and Gator Joes would probably be open to the idea - they have an outdoor stage on the dock as well as a stage inside. There are a number of hotels in the area and camping too. No camping on the water though that I know of.
Im interested and I know I could get the word out to a few of the locals on the lake. I'm sure Tim knows some guys out there that can spread the word too. Not everyone out there is on this site, so we would have to do some leg work.
Old     (dreevs)      Join Date: Jul 2002       06-05-2006, 10:53 AM Reply   
http://www.gatorjoes.biz/

That is the website for Gator Joes - I think the pics are about five years old but you can kind of get the layout of the beach.
Old    cttampa            06-05-2006, 1:54 PM Reply   
Ted I agree...But you cannot rule out Tarpon and the Tarpon turtle...If we could get either one set up with bands and whathavenot, it would be nice...Numbers along with legwork wouldn't be that hard...
Old     (dreevs)      Join Date: Jul 2002       06-06-2006, 6:29 AM Reply   
Been to both. You can fit the Tarpon Turtle in Gator Joes bath room, but I am game for either. I have never heard of good water on Tarpon whereas I witness good water every weekend on Weir. I would trailer anywhere that there is a good size gathering of boats.
Also keep in mind that Weir is close to Orlando and Tampa respectively. During the Sport City Shoot Out, the pros trailered up the tan Mastercraft X - Star for the event and hung out all week end - I think it was somehow connected to Andrew Adkinson's crew.
Old    cttampa            06-06-2006, 6:40 AM Reply   
What do the guys at Bliss think? Are you in?
Old     (timmy)      Join Date: Jul 2001       06-06-2006, 6:45 AM Reply   
i wonder if gator joes would temporarily kill the swimming area to allow more boat parking. my big issue is that you can really only park about 6 boats there as it is now.

I will say they did have a fun band the evening after the sport city shootout, as we ended up going by car to eat dinner.

and they have tasty lemonade

anybody starting to consider dates?
Old     (bflat53212)      Join Date: Mar 2003       06-06-2006, 8:03 AM Reply   
Just an FYI, the Tarpon Turtle according to all reports has been rebuilt. It's a brand new facility. I have never been in the place, but according to those who have been there they claim it's a serious upgrade. I guess it use to be a dirty dingy place. It looks pretty nice from the outside now.
Old     (timmy)      Join Date: Jul 2001       06-06-2006, 8:04 AM Reply   
Steve, go do some recon and get back to us
Old     (hypedrider7)      Join Date: Jun 2004       06-06-2006, 8:15 AM Reply   
I may have to do some recon for drinks after riding one night on Tarpon. The Turtle does look pretty clean and up to date now.
Old    cttampa            06-06-2006, 8:41 AM Reply   
My company just threw a function there..If i was to compare it, think of an outhouse to a now resort...flat screens, plenty of boat parking(slips), new huge deck, restaurant, etc...
Old     (tarpongator)      Join Date: Jan 2006       06-06-2006, 9:04 AM Reply   
I live on Lake Tarpon. The Tarpon Turtle is a brand new place. Opened about two to three months ago. I have never been to Gator Joe's or Weir to do a comparison. If you have any questions, let me know.
Old    cwbabsolute1080            06-06-2006, 9:07 AM Reply   
I live in st. pete and I would be down for something at lake tarpon
Old     (dreevs)      Join Date: Jul 2002       06-06-2006, 9:57 AM Reply   
Last I was there was at the Land O Lakes tournament they held there about three years ago. Its cool that they upgraded it because from what I remember - it needed it.
Game for what ever - as long as it gets a good size wakeboard themed turnout.