Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through June 18, 2006

Old     (litlone873)      Join Date: Jan 2005       05-18-2006, 10:22 AM Reply   
After reading Shaun Murray's thread about his recent accident, I started thinking about getting CPR Certified. Even though Tate is a nurse and will take care of anyone hurt in our boat, it won't help if HE is the one hurt.

Is there anyone on WW in the Sacramento/Delta area that is certified to train on CPR and would be willing to hold a WW only class?
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       05-18-2006, 10:25 AM Reply   
I'd be interested for sure...
Old     (robert_t)      Join Date: Feb 2005       05-18-2006, 10:27 AM Reply   
I'd be interested also
Old     (load)      Join Date: Jul 2003       05-18-2006, 10:47 AM Reply   
I would be interested. I was actually thinking about doing this as part of a safety awareness campaign in part with DRA.

Having done them through the hotel before there is ussually costs associated, however I would be willing to donate the meeting space at my hotel to help down overall costs.
Old     (antbug)      Join Date: Jul 2004       05-18-2006, 10:49 AM Reply   
Renee ~ Great idea.
Old     (litlone873)      Join Date: Jan 2005       05-18-2006, 10:51 AM Reply   
Doug, you're awesome! Now, we just need someone certified to teach the class!
Old     (buzz_grande)      Join Date: Mar 2004       05-18-2006, 11:03 AM Reply   
Renee,

Get in touch with the American Red Cross. They have classes all the time, and just about everywhere. It was free a ways back, but even if there is a small fee, it's worth it.
Old     (ghostrider_2)      Join Date: Aug 2004       05-18-2006, 11:34 AM Reply   
REnee also when I coached high school football I had to cert. so if you conact a local high school they will have the sch and locals. there is one by ARC for like 55 bucks for adult and infant cpr
Old    tahoe_bryan            05-18-2006, 12:02 PM Reply   
Hey guys. I live up in lake tahoe, in truckee to be exact. I am a firefighter / paramedic at the Northstar FD. I am the CPR instructor trainer for the area, and would be willing to do a class if any of you wanted to come up here. I don't get down to the valley very often. Basically I would only charge you for the cert. fee and my gas. It would come out to about 35$ per person. You will get adult/child/infant CPR and AED certified.
Now obviously, I won't be hurt if you don't want to come up here. . . so ya, call the AHA and they can tell you where the nearest training site is. Its usually at your local firehouse or something.
anyways, let me know if there is any other help or info. that I can give you.

bryan
Old     (load)      Join Date: Jul 2003       05-18-2006, 12:32 PM Reply   
Bryan,

If you wanted to make the trip all the way to Pleasanton I could arrange a room also?

Any, I got the price list from the Red Cross. $52 for Adult CPR, all the way to $84 for Adult/Child/Infant CPR and Standard First Aid.

What is the diff. between Red Cross and AHA certification?
Old     (ivyrider)      Join Date: Jan 2004       05-18-2006, 1:42 PM Reply   
Bryan: Does that include first aid as well? Are we looking at a Saturday option? Can we cram it all into one day?
Old     (ivyrider)      Join Date: Jan 2004       05-18-2006, 1:44 PM Reply   
Doug: The town I live in does adult/child/infant CPR plus AED and first aid for $75... FYI, just as a price check.
Old     (crracer)      Join Date: Nov 2003       05-18-2006, 1:49 PM Reply   
If any of the San diego peeps jump on board with this, a fellow paramedic and good friend of mine is an instructor and i could get the group a really good deal. Awesome post Renee, the more people trained/prepared the better also it seems to me that when you have a crew who have some basic training the group seems to just be safer all around.
Old     (cal565)      Join Date: Sep 2005       05-18-2006, 1:49 PM Reply   
Doug the difference between Red Cross and AHA is that the AHA certification is good for 2 years as apposed to just 1 with Red Cross. The class is pretty much the same though
Old    tahoe_bryan            05-18-2006, 5:38 PM Reply   
ya, it kinda depends how smart the class is. usually, if you add first aid with all the CPR/AED stuff, its normally a 2 day thing. but we can crame. it'd still be an 8 hour day. I don't think I am wanting to travel anywhere right now. I have A LOT on my plate, and taking a day off to travel would kill me right now.
Old     (kylielogan)      Join Date: Apr 2006       05-18-2006, 7:52 PM Reply   
Not in Cali, but wanted to throw in my support for the idea. I'm EMT-B and OEC (ski patrol) certified. It's great to have CPR/first aid training. You'd be surprised how many people freeze up when they actually see an injury or try to help but do the wrong thing. FYI - once you receive your certification, you have to renew it periodically to keep the certification valid. Also, I believe some advanced medical care programs only accept "national" CPR certifications - I believe both AHA and RC are nationally recognized.
Old     (rnopr8)      Join Date: Apr 2005       05-18-2006, 11:10 PM Reply   
Chris...check your e-mail.

Renee...I am in the process of getting my instructors training. I am going to certify the entire Canyon Lake Club board. I would be willing to come up for a weekend and a pull in exchange for training but it won't be for another month or so.

AHA and Red Cross cost about $75 per person for the class and they are not very flexible on the price.
Old     (litlone873)      Join Date: Jan 2005       05-18-2006, 11:41 PM Reply   
Geri- how much would you charge? Doug offered up a room at his hotel for the training as well as overnight accommodations. I'm sure you could get a pull from someone around the Delta.

A month or so would take us into late June, early July. Is that too far out or are we looking for something ASAP? Summer weekends are booking up rapidly. (Personally, I would be ok with a month or so out.)
Old     (ian30)      Join Date: Jan 2005       05-19-2006, 6:41 AM Reply   
I was just thinking that I don't really need a certification, I would just like to be exposed to the info. I would pay the money, but it could just go to the instructor for all I care. Am I the only one that feels this way? I wouldn't be doing anything with the cert and it would just expire anyway, but I have been thinking that I could use the CPR/Basic First Aid class for quite some time.
Old     (jbjboc)      Join Date: Aug 2004       05-19-2006, 7:39 AM Reply   
There are websites that offer CPR Certification and First Aid. Follow a small course then take a test. Easy and not very expensive. Although it's definitely not as educational as hands on learning like Red Cross at least you'll know what to do if the situation arises
http://emergencyuniversity.com/
Old     (ivyrider)      Join Date: Jan 2004       05-19-2006, 9:09 AM Reply   
Ian: I let my cert expire last year, so I would like my renewal. I vaguely remember that if you arent certified, and the person you are doing CPR on has sometihng go wrong, or dies because you performed it wrong (not being certified), then it can get ugly with lawyers and the like. I know... typical California, right?? But I would rather be safe than sorry.
Old     (litlone873)      Join Date: Jan 2005       05-19-2006, 9:22 AM Reply   
Don't we have good sumaritan laws that cover us in that case? Or does it only cover us if we're certified. I would really be interested in knowing that.
Old     (csquared)      Join Date: Jan 2002       05-19-2006, 9:42 AM Reply   
Actually, it is the reverse. If you are certified and do it wrong or don't do it, you are liable. If you are not certified but give it your best effort, you are covered by the good samaritan law.

If you enjoy a cocktail or two on the boat, everything can change from a legal standpoint and it all comes down to who has the best lawyer and how good your insurance is.
Old     (kylielogan)      Join Date: Apr 2006       05-19-2006, 9:58 AM Reply   
Here's the website for California's GS law. http://www.swc.cc.ca.us/~kjacobs/goodsam.htm You get into trouble when certified if you don't follow the certification guidelines, e.g., instead of 2 rescue breaths & 15 compressions you give 15 rescue breaths & 2 compressions. Also important to know is that once you start CPR, you must continue it until someone with an equal or higher certification of care takes over or you physically can't perform it anymore. And I don't know about California, but in Colorado you are not required to stop and assist someone, but if you choose to stop then you're required to render aid.
Old     (sanger215guy)      Join Date: Oct 2004       05-19-2006, 10:01 AM Reply   
IN the case of a life or death situation you cannot be held responsible for the victim dying weather your certified or not you are covered. We just completed our re-cert. an the question is always asked "what if he dies am I responsible". Certification is just a way of proving you have been trained (Use that loosly) in CPR within the last year. Certification comes into play for insurance purpouses for employers. As a large construciton company we are required to have at least one certified person on site.

Doug, I want to talk about putting something together for a CPR class through DRA. I will talk to our company and Medic First Aid to see about instructors. Lets talk to Brick to.
Old     (sanger215guy)      Join Date: Oct 2004       05-19-2006, 10:04 AM Reply   
June 1st the ratio changes to 30 compressions to 2 breaths.
Old    tahoe_bryan            05-19-2006, 11:16 AM Reply   
Gary is absolutly correct on this one. Certifications are just that, certs. NOT licenses. When you are certified, you can show your employeer and meet certain criteria that they set forth. . . but you will NEVER be held liable in the court of law if somebody dies, or something goes wrong. Certified or not, the Good Samaritain covers you. Unless you are getting paid to be there. . .ie: fireman, paramedics, emts. . .. then you have no worries. This is California by the way. Alos, things are changing as of June 1st, so if you could, take the class after that. Its really only changing in 1 rescuer CPR. Everything else is pretty much the same. Also, I HIGHLY recomend AHA over RC. For multiple reasons.
If you guys just want the knowledge, and not the cert., you can always buy the book online through AHA and read up. I didn't tell you this, and I don't recomend it, but whatever helps!!
also: if anybody on here needs an EMT recert, we are doing a very quick and cheap one here at Northstar in October. If you need info. let me know!!!

Cheers
Bryan
Old     (load)      Join Date: Jul 2003       05-19-2006, 11:52 AM Reply   
gary check you mail!
Old     (redv215)      Join Date: Mar 2005       05-19-2006, 12:25 PM Reply   
I have a friend through my work that is an instructor. He is trying to plan a "friends & family" CPR class for June w/ a church group. It is a layperson version for AHA. He said the price will be around $25. It will be in Elk Grove. He will let me know more as it comes together. I can bring as many as want to come. What I need to know is there is an interest and if people will commit to coming. This way I can give him a real head count.
Old     (rnopr8)      Join Date: Apr 2005       05-19-2006, 10:40 PM Reply   
Renee...sounds like your other half has the answer for you guys for a cert class up there.

Bryan...I was informed that good samaritan laws are weak at their best and are not a guarantee of security from legal issues...has that changed??

also...anyone can sue for anything...it's just a matter of whether they win or not. What I thought was interesting was what I learned in a recent legal course I took. No one is required to do anything in an emergent situation that a reasonable and prudent person would do.....even if you know CPR. The only thing a reasonable and prudent person would do is call for help. Now where that changes is what you would do from a moral and ethical standpoint and that is different for all of us.
Old     (p1emt)      Join Date: Sep 2004       05-20-2006, 2:05 AM Reply   

I have a few friends that teach CPR i can see how much they will charge .... Let me know . I let my instroctor cert laps as of last year ..
Old     (litlone873)      Join Date: Jan 2005       05-21-2006, 6:06 PM Reply   
At this point, I am going to see what Tate's friend can do for us and set a date. My guess is that this date (whatever it ends up being) won't work for EVERYONE so perhaps Geri could set another date for later in the summer. WE can also see what Gary w/ DRA puts together.

Having more than one class can't hurt!
Old     (rnopr8)      Join Date: Apr 2005       05-21-2006, 8:02 PM Reply   
Right Renee....if I had my way I would certify everhyone in the country. There is no excuse not to have the knowledge. It is not difficult. Let me know
Old    tahoe_bryan            05-22-2006, 5:04 PM Reply   
SoCal,
I have asked around a bit about your question just to make sure I say the right thing. As fas as I can tell, nobody has EVER been sued, and lost, when using the good samaritan law. You will ALWAYS be covered. Now you are totally right when you say nobody has to do anything, in california, that isn't unreasonable. usually calling for help is all that it takes. Now where you can get into lots of trouble is if you are act in a completely negligant way. basically meaning, if somebody is choking, and you take a Bic pen and unscrew the cap and slam in into there throat, then you will be held liable. (yes, I know MacGuyver was a superhero but even he can't do that!!)
anyways, as long as your heart is in the right place, you won't loose. That will never change.
Old     (rnopr8)      Join Date: Apr 2005       05-22-2006, 7:37 PM Reply   
well for me it doesn't matter. I would do everything I know how to do to help someone. I couldn't just do nothing....nursing is in my blood and always will be. I really do hope the good samaritan laws truly are as you say....people need to be able to step up and help appropriately without the fear of a negative recourse. Thanks for the info.
Old     (pittsy)      Join Date: Apr 2004       05-22-2006, 7:48 PM Reply   
I had to take a health class in high school and we had a take a CPR class..i think it will be helpful if every needed!
Old    tahoe_bryan            05-23-2006, 4:57 PM Reply   
UPDATE!!!
So I just got out of the new instructor update course. as some of you may know, the entire world of CPR is changing next month. So we just got all the updates. I did learn of a neat new system that is available if you go to the AHA website.
Its called CPR anytime. Basically, you can buy this very cheap little package off of their website. in the package comes an instructional video, a hand book, a really special blow-up manakin, and everything else you need to learn CPR quickly in the comfort of your own home. So this is great for those out there that want a quick class to learn the skills. Just be advised that you DO NOT get a cert. out of this. Its strictly knowledge only. But this is great for those that just want to learn!!!

best of luck to everybody. Its great to see some interest out there!!! Happy boarding!