Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old    MJHSupra            08-23-2014, 4:33 PM Reply   
2nd summer for using Johnson Pumps.

Have not used them much this summer, but I've been having some Johnson Pumps issues.
Beginning of the year, they would not go on.
The lights on the switches worked, but the pumps did not.
When the do not go on, they blow the fuse real quick. As I would expect with a wire issue.
The passenger side pump worked for a few surfing trips, but it's not working now.

I have 3 pre-wired switch connectors from Wakemarkers.
http://www.wakemakers.com/pre-wired-...connector.html

For the ground wires, should each switch have a separate ground wire to a ground?
They are all wired into one ground wire, then to a ground. I have to see where that is going.

I going to run a new ground and see what happens.
I think all the grounds under my dash are used on the buss.

Mark
2007 Supra

Last edited by MJHSupra; 08-23-2014 at 4:37 PM.
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       08-23-2014, 5:25 PM Reply   
Sounds like the impellers are sticking due to lack of use. Is the main ground, of sufficient size for all the pumps its supplying?
Old    MJHSupra            08-23-2014, 6:30 PM Reply   
Each has a smaller ground wire than the 12ga wire from the Wavemakers switch. The grounds look to be 'chained' together to a final ground wire that is probably 14 or 12ga.

It should be easy enough to remove the 6 screws to access the impellers and leave those cap off to test that theory. I remove the impellers each winter season before it gets stored.

It has the black impellers, I read the orange ones are better.

Mark
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       08-23-2014, 7:16 PM Reply   
Those old black impellers are known to stick when unused. You need at least a 12ga B+ and B- to each switch or a 8ga or larger trunk to feed all 3 switches, depending on the length.
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       08-24-2014, 8:14 AM Reply   
^^^ exactly
Old    MJHSupra            08-25-2014, 3:08 PM Reply   
I realized the pumps B+ are wired to a bus bar under the dash with everything else. It's a 2007 Supra with Breakers. I think there is currently a 50 amp breaker to the dash access.

My though was to have the pumps and LEDs isolated. Correct me if this is too small:

Run a new Dual Bus Bar from Blue Seas for the 3 pumps and the LEDs. They sell a 150 amp bus with a cover. I'm do not think i will use it for that much power. For the LEDs, I have 2 in the ReV10s, 12 superflux 4-chip Oznium lights, and the 6 XS-650 RGB speakers. I know the LED do not draw much. I have 3 different runs for 18 AWG wire for them to a switch.

The batteries are on the pass-side and the new bus will be under the dash.
>> I was thinking a run of 10-12 feet for 6 AWG. I could use 4 AWG, I know that can be max fused around 125 amps.
>> Would 80 amp breaker be enough for 6 AWG or 100 amp breaker for 4 AWG?

The total run in under the floor across the boat - Pass to Driver Side.

The 3 pumps would spike (turned-on) probably at 20 amps each. I know the manual states 25 amps.

Mark
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       08-25-2014, 5:43 PM Reply   
You are easily adding 45A load to the factory BUS bar with all 3 pumps running. Ive done plenty of boats that had sufficient cable gauge to handle the additional load and plenty that didnt. You can run a dedicated B+ anf GND from the battery for each switch, but I prefer a trunk line and BUS bar type approach.

Your new fuse or breaker needs to be high enough to handle the potential load, but not exceed the capacity of the cable gauge x length.