Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (skongolf)      Join Date: Aug 2009       08-08-2010, 5:15 PM Reply   
I am looking at a 2000 tige 21v limited and was looking for some info other than the one tread I could find on here. It has 350 hrs, no perfect pass, no ballast, a Mercruiser 350 mag motor, TAPS, Bimini, dual axle trailer and a wake designs tower. It seems to be in pretty decent shape although I do need to give it a once over but before I spend the time I was just curious about the wake it would throw and how it does with wake surfing. I know I read that some Tige's have a touchy wake due to the hull design, but was just curious what some of you thought. The guy is asking around $18k which seems to be a decent deal for a V drive with the amount of hours it has. Also I did check out Tige owners and did not find alot. Thanks.
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       08-08-2010, 5:40 PM Reply   
steve ask this question on tige owners . com they have many people on there that are familar with those years. i have a 2007 and it has a great surf wake.my tige has 397 hours on it so it sounds like they didn't use it alot.
Old     (RYDEAZ11)      Join Date: May 2010       08-09-2010, 7:11 AM Reply   
I ride the 2000 21v riders edition. I love it! The wake is great once you dial it all in. The surfing wake does good. We have had some pretty good swells. All we have ever done is had a 450 fat sac in the walk thru then we have 8-10 people that will sit in the back and weigh down which ever side the rider wants to ride on. I have no complaints.
Old     (boomshot)      Join Date: Jan 2008       08-09-2010, 11:30 AM Reply   
terrible terrible terrible boat.

Really - even ask Tige fans. They didn't start getting it together until 2005ish. Those early Merc-equipped Riders' editions were absolutely horrible boats.
Old     (jeff_mn)      Join Date: Jul 2009       08-09-2010, 11:39 AM Reply   
^^^^

this guy.. "teh truth"...

One guy in our crew has a 2100 V (it's a 2000). great boat, great wake for both surfing and wakeboarding.. Plenty of power - it runs/rides really smooth.

I wouldn't hesitate.
Old     (boomshot)      Join Date: Jan 2008       08-09-2010, 12:03 PM Reply   
Hesitate. The boat is known for being bad in chop, having an iffy tower, and cracked hulls are getting common. Another biggie - they didn't design the rear sun deck to push water out, which causes loads of electrical shorts (expensive) from wet people on the sun deck. Flame me all you want. I'm the guy that ran 2 for 2 southern summers. K?
Old     (talltigeguy)      Join Date: Sep 2003       08-09-2010, 12:16 PM Reply   
he said it has the Wake Designs tower, not the original. The original tower is actually more than iffy....it was horrible.

I religiously surf Tige Owners and have not heard those complaints, other than the tower. I would have heard about cracked hulls I am sure. Back in those days a comparable boat of any other brand was 500 pounds lighter because Tige used thicker glass.

What exactly is under the sun deck that can short out?

Sounds like you had a terrible experience. Please clarify on the shorting out and hull breaking.
Old     (dirwoody)      Join Date: Apr 2003       08-09-2010, 12:58 PM Reply   
I have a 99 21V riders and absolutely love it. Rides GREAT in chop, no shorting problems....no idea what The Truth is talking about. Surf wake is awesome with not a lot of weight in comparison to others I've been around.
I'd jump all over that thing
Old     (bmartin)      Join Date: Jan 2007       08-09-2010, 1:30 PM Reply   
I have no personal experience with that ride, but that vintage Tige would have wood stringers. Some people like wood, some people don't.
Old     (ajholt7)      Join Date: Apr 2009       08-09-2010, 1:58 PM Reply   
I call B.S. on the cracked hulls. I have never heard that one.
Old     (kko13)      Join Date: Jul 2006       08-09-2010, 4:10 PM Reply   
The truth is so full of s h i t I can smell is breath from here.
That is a solid boat. The tower would be the main concern. This boat has a differnt tower so you are good there. With weight the boat makes nice wakes. The ones I have been in seem more sensitve to weight (from side to side) to keep wakes clean compared to my 03. But itsw not a major concern few pop bags or some sort of moveable ballast and your golden. Its not to say any boat that age (hell even newer) can have problems. But the only REAL concern that would be a Tige specfic proplem would be the original tower. Other than that its really like any other boat from that era. I work on all brands of ski/wake boats every day. This boat is no more of a problem than any other boat that old.
Old     (skongolf)      Join Date: Aug 2009       08-09-2010, 4:17 PM Reply   
Thats good to know. From what I hear its mainly the tower that is a concern, but like i said it has a wake designs tower. Kevin, when i go see it, anything engine specific to look for? I will probly take it in to get it checked out before I offer a deal. Cosmetically it looks pretty good from the pics he sent, but hopefully will get a better picture when I see it in person. Thanks for the input so far.
Old     (stang_killa_ss)      Join Date: Jan 2010       08-09-2010, 4:20 PM Reply   
horrible boat. well the wake anyway. known to be solid white wash. ive riden one, spent 3 hours trying to get rid of the wash. finally gave up.
Old     (dirwoody)      Join Date: Apr 2003       08-09-2010, 5:22 PM Reply   
Corey, next time you're in NE, give me a call, I'll show you how to get rid of the white wash!
Old     (TimboSlice)      Join Date: Mar 2010       08-09-2010, 5:38 PM Reply   
steve, i have a 2000 2300v which is pretty comparable....yes the tower sucks but thats not an issue since it has a new tower on it. wakewise theyre quite similar since they both have the spray pockets which causes a small amount of wash but it really does disturb your pop....i had 2300 lbs in my boat today (350s in rear compartments, 650 worth of lead and people in the middle section, and 950 worth of people and fatsac in the bow) and the wake reallllly nice--granted it was not as nice as a slammed xstar--but i hit a toe 7 and a handful of handle pass inverts behind it. bottom line: if you weight it correctly with about 2k of weight somewhat front weighted, youll get a great, mostly wash-free wake!
Old     (skongolf)      Join Date: Aug 2009       08-09-2010, 6:19 PM Reply   
Well right now we have an I/O and deal with alot of white wash. Just looking to get a V drive at a good price that may hold its value for a few more years when we can upgrade even more. Ultimately everyone I go with is a beginner, but we want to be able to wake surf as well as wakeboard. I saw some pics of 2000 21v's on Tige owners.com and they had pretty nice wakes behind them. My biggest concern is the price. 18K for a v drive seems pretty decent to me especially with the hours. I know anything I get at that price will need some work.
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       08-09-2010, 8:30 PM Reply   
steve most of these guys are regulars on tigeowners.com as for the truth its hard to tell for the truth. others that don't own have their opinions. you ride behind it and check it out completely and you will make a decision you can live with.GOOD LUCK.
Old     (boomshot)      Join Date: Jan 2008       08-10-2010, 9:41 AM Reply   
Going to TigeOwners isn't the answer.

Come on.

Just like going to Planetnautique is not the place to find out if Correct Craft is right for you. Etc etc with the other fan sites.

This boat comes up a lot. Not just here. It's a cheap v-drive wake-branded boat and people ask the group here.

This boat is bad news. You're better off, literally, with almost anything from that same year. I can not think of an exception. I really didn't like the old Malibu's (early Wakesetters) but even a direct drive one of those would be better. I am not kidding the early Tige riders editions are bad. You can read old stuff here or have some more Google fun but retaining resale value? No. Not with this boat. Not going to happen.

Avoid it. Owner goggles aside, seriously. I OWNED AND RAN 2 for my school. It was a nightmare. I mean an absolute, expensive-as-hell, nightmare.
Old     (boomshot)      Join Date: Jan 2008       08-10-2010, 9:48 AM Reply   
How are you supposed owners and experts talking about putting 2000lbs in the wake to get rid of the whitewash...

eyeroll...

....and not even nodding, whatsoever to the mechanical problems associated with Merc putting all of those expensive relays right under where soaking wet people enter the boat. How is it possible that you've not gone through 1-2 a year (and thus been towed home 1-2 times per year).
Old     (dirwoody)      Join Date: Apr 2003       08-10-2010, 10:30 AM Reply   
Apparently yours were lemons. Owner goggles off (I ride regularly behind an 04 X2, an 01 X Star (yes same hull, I know) an 05 VLX, and just got back from riding an Epic) it is a great boat, with a great wake and TONS of room. The only issue we have is blowing blowers when surfing as water gets into them, but we did something a little different with the vent hose and got a water resistant blower. As for electrical issues.....I can count.....zero....in our 2 years of ownership.
Old     (boomshot)      Join Date: Jan 2008       08-10-2010, 11:11 AM Reply   
2 lemons 134 builds apart (according to hull ID's and conversations with the factory?)

That's some amazing coincidence. I then bought 2 2003 Correct Crafts and a 1999 MC Prostar190 as kind of a chase boat/barefoot machine. Care to take a guess how many times we've been towed back?

Once. One of the 210's had a belt go - waterpump belt. At 1002 hours.
Old    ROstap            08-10-2010, 11:44 AM Reply   
Glad the lemons went your way. I got one of the problem free ones. Solid ride. My 2000 21v has been great. Zero water, electrical, problems. Bottom line, get it out on the lake and put it to the test.
Old     (skongolf)      Join Date: Aug 2009       08-10-2010, 12:55 PM Reply   
Good advice and things to think about, thats for sure, but now a 2003 Calabria Cal Air has come up. Same hours, but it has Perfect Pass and balast which the Tige does not, and it is about $500 less. Bad thing is it is about an hour away and the ladies emails are kind of strange as far as what I have been asking her. The thing that troubles me most is both boats have been available for about 2 months. Anyway, still going to see the Tige tonight.
Old     (boomshot)      Join Date: Jan 2008       08-10-2010, 2:53 PM Reply   
You'll have your turn Ross. Especially now that you said something.

Last edited by boomshot; 08-10-2010 at 2:56 PM.
Old     (kko13)      Join Date: Jul 2006       08-10-2010, 6:24 PM Reply   
.Wow just when I though Lon was the biggest douche bag on WW alomg comes "The Truth". Takes being a fuggin A-Hole to a hole new level.
Old     (wake77)      Join Date: Jan 2009       08-10-2010, 7:36 PM Reply   
I don't think Truth is being a douche bag. He isn't simply saying "It sucks", like many do, he is backing up his response. I know for a fact, that if most of us owned two of the same type boat and both had numerous issues, most wouldn't hold back publicly calling it a piece of sheet. Nothing wrong with sharing your experience, good or bad.
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       08-10-2010, 7:43 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by wake77 View Post
I don't think Truth is being a douche bag. He isn't simply saying "It sucks", like many do, he is backing up his response. I know for a fact, that if most of us owned two of the same type boat and both had numerous issues, most wouldn't hold back publicly calling it a piece of sheet. Nothing wrong with sharing your experience, good or bad.
True, but this dude spews the same crap in just about every thread about Tige boats. He thinks Tige is still making the 2000 21V today Funny part is, out of all the Tige owners that own these current models, he seems to be the only one with the problems he describes.
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       08-10-2010, 7:57 PM Reply   
i think whats getting everyones panties in a wad is the truth is saying the whole model year is junk. he also states they have a hull cracking issue. as far as tigeowners.com goes many different boat owners post there.so you can get the real scoop.what you can take from that is the truth had 2 bad experiences with them and all the other responses were good.doesn't sound like a bad year just a couple of bad boats and the truths spin on his 2 boats to make it seem like a bad year.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       08-11-2010, 9:27 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwb4me View Post
i think whats getting everyones panties in a wad is the truth is saying the whole model year is junk. he also states they have a hull cracking issue. as far as tigeowners.com goes many different boat owners post there.so you can get the real scoop.what you can take from that is the truth had 2 bad experiences with them and all the other responses were good.doesn't sound like a bad year just a couple of bad boats and the truths spin on his 2 boats to make it seem like a bad year.
Either that or he runs a camp and thrashed the chit out of the boats and when some things went bad he tried to blame them on Tige and have the problems covered under warranty. When they didn't cover the items because it was obviously misuse then he got pissed and tells everybody they suck.

Obviously that is a big guess on my part but I have seen it before.
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       08-11-2010, 2:32 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by polarbill View Post
Either that or he runs a camp and thrashed the chit out of the boats and when some things went bad he tried to blame them on Tige and have the problems covered under warranty. When they didn't cover the items because it was obviously misuse then he got pissed and tells everybody they suck.

Obviously that is a big guess on my part but I have seen it before.
very good point. If the boat was purchased by his board school and therefore used for a commercial purpose, they may not have been covered. Also, what his boats saw in a year, the normal boater would not experience in 3-4 years. Ive seen/repaired camp/school boats and they get TRASHED big time.
Old     (BarryB)      Join Date: Aug 2010       08-12-2010, 7:51 AM Reply   
Gotta put in my $0.02. In 1999, a friend and I both bought 21V riders editions. I kept mine for 18 monts, he still has his. We both had the same kind of problems.

The hull seemed fine. The upholstery was OK. The stringers didn't give us trouble. What gave us trouble is echoed in other places here : poor motor bay design.

Problem 1 : steering cable. The hull design allows enough water to pool in the bottom that when you take off, it washes over the rear steering cable. This removes the oil, and we both had to replace our steering cable annually or deal with super hard steering. You need to remove the gas tank to replace the steering cable.

Problem 2 : water on engine. The sundeck design is such that water from people walking over it drains over the back of the engine. Also, if you slow down too quickly or are stopped and waves hit the back of the boat, they'll slop over and run over the back of the engine.
Problem #2 meant that every several years a pulley would rust out or a bearing would go out and require replacement.
Old     (will5150)      Join Date: Oct 2002       08-15-2010, 10:56 AM Reply   
I have a 2001 21 V and the above posted does bring up good issues. I replaced my steering cable after 8 years - Check the seal on the shaft if you getting that much water in the hull, you have a bigger issue. mine MAYBE takes on a half a gallon when we ride and most of that comes from us spilling the bags when filling the ballast.
The "water on the engine" is a real issue. I have a pulley that NEVER stops squeaking. Never has water over the back unless we're surfing- then slow down evenly.

All in all it's a very good boat and runs very well with a very nice wake loaded down. I put 400 on either side of the motor and 600 in the walk.
Old     (TimboSlice)      Join Date: Mar 2010       08-15-2010, 11:53 AM Reply   
this is my 23v weighted as described below...doesnt give you the best perspective but heres my buddy who is 5'6" at 75 feet and 24.5 on the gps
Attached Images

Old     (Lohe)      Join Date: Jun 2010       08-16-2010, 8:22 AM Reply   
Just purchased a 99 21V riders edition last week. Went from a DD to this HUGE improvement. I dont think the wake was white washed out, on my last DD I could only get one side of the wake to be clean and it was SUPER sensitive to weight placement this one so far is not as sensitive. Mine does have the orginal tower some how... But I knew that before I purchased and ordering a new one today. My has the original steering cable and it DOES need to be replaced. They are correct if you do let off the throttle to fast water does comes up over the back/into the engine compartment.. So just don't do that....
Old     (bmartin)      Join Date: Jan 2007       08-16-2010, 9:36 AM Reply   
A little off topic, but if any boat is having trouble with water getting on the blower motor, put a 'U" in your blower line like a drain trap and poke a couple of small drain holes at the bottom of the U.

Last edited by bmartin; 08-16-2010 at 9:36 AM. Reason: diagram didn't work