Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through September 24, 2009

Old     (axeman)      Join Date: Aug 2009       09-08-2009, 8:10 AM Reply   
Need your help guys. Can you guys compare/contrast these two boards? My girlfriend likes the way the Ronix Coy rides (she just demo'ed it this weekend) but she really likes the way the 09 Melissa looks. Do these boards ride differently? We haven't been able to find the Melissa board available to demo locally... Any help is greatly appreciated!!!
Old    dperizzolo            09-08-2009, 11:12 AM Reply   
What specifically does she like about the Coy?
Old     (axeman)      Join Date: Aug 2009       09-08-2009, 11:53 AM Reply   
Compared to other boards she's tried the Coy is the one she's felt the most comfortable with. She likes that its light and doesn't feel too big. She's 4'11'' and weighs ~110...
Old    dperizzolo            09-08-2009, 12:11 PM Reply   
Well I can't say I have ever ridden the Coy, but the Melissa will have a pretty fast edge, it is loose, has soft landings, and some huge pop if you load it right. My sister rides it and she has never said a bad thing about that board. If you read some reviews on the LF trip, with the exception of the Melissa being a hybrid flex, they are the same shape. I hope this helps.
Old     (wakemikey)      Join Date: Mar 2008       09-08-2009, 3:16 PM Reply   
I have a 07 Watson and my girlie has an 08 Melissa. I have ridden the Melissa several times and it is the nicest womens board I have ever seen (although I don't get to see all the new models like I used to).

It has a softer flex pattern than a guys board. It has a nice big spine down the center. It has sharper edges than my Watson, but not as sharp as the Trip. Very light and the Melissa boots are great too extremly cushy footbed and the outer layer is perfectly formed for womens calfs.

Good luck
Old     (axeman)      Join Date: Aug 2009       09-08-2009, 3:26 PM Reply   
Thanks for the comments guys...I'm thinking about getting her the 09 LF Melissa setup for our anniversary but dont want to spend $500+ and her not like it. She did try on the LF boots this weekend but they were a size too big (they only had mediums? and she needs the small size 5-7)...

Anyone else care to chime in that has had any experience with these boards?

She's been riding for years now but she's never had her own board. She was hell bent on getting something under 130cm until she tried the Coy. I know the Melissa is a hybrid flex and thus lighter (which is what she is worried about since she is so small) so she'll like that...
Old     (aliwake)      Join Date: Dec 2006       09-08-2009, 3:49 PM Reply   
I'm keen to try the Melissa, but I haven't had a chance yet. However, I have tried the Coy, and while it wouldn't be my choice, I thought it rode really nicely. It's very predictable and forgiving. Probably the easiest board to ride that I've ever tried, but I wouldn't write it off as a beginner board. I'd call it classy insead :-)
It just depends on how much confidence she has as a rider I guess. The Melissa sounds a bit more aggressive.
Old     (axeman)      Join Date: Aug 2009       09-09-2009, 4:49 PM Reply   
Anyone that has possibly ridden both???
Old     (waken4life)      Join Date: Mar 2008       09-10-2009, 12:54 PM Reply   
My sister rides the melissa and she loves it, she started on it as a beginner and now shes got good edge control and is jumping the wake!
Old     (axeman)      Join Date: Aug 2009       09-10-2009, 8:18 PM Reply   
Sounds like everyone is confirming what I was thinking. I may just order the Melissa set up and pray she likes it!
Old     (manda)      Join Date: Jul 2006       09-11-2009, 2:33 AM Reply   
i have been tossing up between the same two boards and im going with the melissa! it is super light. i havent ridden it yet but i ride the jett and its an agressive board so hopefully the melissa will be awesome!
Old     (axeman)      Join Date: Aug 2009       09-12-2009, 7:48 AM Reply   
Found the Melissa at a local store yesterday and she said it felt heavier than the Coy? Not sure if it was the Melissa bindings or what. Board is super thin and W-I-D-E!!!
Old     (michaelspsp)      Join Date: Sep 2007       09-12-2009, 5:43 PM Reply   
My gfs daughter had the limited melissa from last year (now in my garage). i switched her to the Jett. she now rides at 22 mph w ease, even in rough water. w the Melissa she would never go over 18..19 mph.
Old     (lives2wake)      Join Date: Apr 2002       09-13-2009, 6:36 AM Reply   
My wife rides the Melissa and her friend rides the Coy without fins. Both of them love their boards.
Old     (axeman)      Join Date: Aug 2009       09-13-2009, 8:30 AM Reply   
Justin, has your wife by any chance ridden the Coy as well? If so, what did she think? She has an '09 right? I know the '08 and '09 boards are very different...
Old     (winch_mob)      Join Date: Sep 2007       09-14-2009, 11:30 AM Reply   
i would go melissa the shape is that of a trip and has been a steadfast LF shape since the start, not to mention its a cool looking board, i know thats a large factor amongst the ladies! It does seem like a more advanced board but if your lady rides a bunch she should figure out the control of it rather fast. I got the melissa for my mom and she loves it, shes a beginner who is just starting to get some air and get some more aggressive carving in.

No one i know has ridden the coy so i cant make a judgement on its ride but by the looks of the construction looks like it would be a bit slower with that "riding through" the water feel as opposed to on top

I dont think you can go wrong with the Melissa. Good luck!