Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through April 04, 2003

Old     (kent_fowlie)      Join Date: Mar 2003       03-24-2003, 6:10 PM Reply   
I have a 1993 Sea Ray 200BR. I'm putting on a tower and the option of speakers has come up. We store our boat at the cottage from June to the end of August in a boat lift with a cover.

The question is whether a marine deck and amp is really necessary. Also, am I better off with tower spakers or just upgrading the 4 speakers I have now (stock). Roswell has hanging speakers or a built in box (Platinum tower) which is better? Are the rules for wattage similar to a car? Finally, is there anything else I should be careful of?
Old     (bcoppinger)      Join Date: Sep 2002       03-24-2003, 7:15 PM Reply   
If it does not get rained on I would think it should be fine. I have a standard radio and 3 standard amps in my boat. I have not had any trouble yet.
Old     (sandbag)      Join Date: May 2002       03-25-2003, 6:24 AM Reply   
I also have standard equip in my boat.
I like to use Damprid whenever the cover is on.
The metal amps do have a tendency to collect
condensation when the boat is covered (locking in
moisture) But the Damprid really works and keeps
everything dry. I use 3-4 small tubs in the compartments and one large tub in the seating area. Its also keeps musty mildew at bay.
And, if the interior is really wet, I set a fan
in there to keep the air moving.

(Message edited by sandbag on March 25, 2003)
Old     (typhoon)      Join Date: Jul 2001       03-25-2003, 6:29 AM Reply   
Standard mp3/cd player with amps. If you are worried about moisture, get the little dry-z-air crystal things in the basket for cheap at wal mart. They work well.
Old    jmccallum            03-25-2003, 7:05 AM Reply   
Hey Ty,

Wanted to replace the caskett deck/am/fm radio that came in my boat. Whats a good mp3 CD player/radio?
Old     (tcaton)      Join Date: Sep 2002       03-25-2003, 7:08 AM Reply   
What works better than the dry-z-air and damp rid is the Happys air Dryer 39.00 at Boaters World its a little round heater. Works great only 130 watt and its safe to run all winter. I also use all car audio PPI amps deck is stock Clarion that came with boat.

(Message edited by tcaton on March 25, 2003)
Old     (typhoon)      Join Date: Jul 2001       03-25-2003, 7:22 AM Reply   
James,
for about the same price as the cd players now you can get an mp3/cd player on ebay. Just get a new one. I love mine. As long as you burn 128 bit or higher you are cd quality and can fit 120-150 songs per disc. Just burn as a data file instead of an audio file. The makers right now are Kenwood, rockford fosgate, panasonic, sony, jvc, and i believe pioneer just released one. Pioneer always makes great decks and I have heard good things about the sony. I actually have a panasonic which I love. I do not normally like panasonic too much, but i got it at a price i could not pass up. It endeed up being outstanding though. Very pleased. I have heard that the kenwood has problems. The sony is very nice also. My first choice would be the pioneer if you can find one at a good price. drop me a line if you need any info.
Old    cws_kahuna            03-25-2003, 8:39 AM Reply   
I have a Marine CD player made by kenwood, I do not want to change it because it has a wired remote on the drivers dash, which makes things a lot easier in my opinion for my boat. Plus I do not want a remote sitting there that has no use.

Both of my amps, the 4 6.5's, tower speakers, and sub are all regular non-marine equipment.

(Message edited by cws_kahuna on March 25, 2003)
Old     (sandbag)      Join Date: May 2002       03-25-2003, 10:42 AM Reply   
Tom, Thanks for telling about the happy's air dryer! I ordered one right away!
The damprid does work well but I have often
worried about spilling the water in the tubs
or forgetting to take then out before heading out of the driveway. The water left at the bottom
of a damprid tub has a certian slim factor I would't know how to clean up. I have considered
writing them to find out what the residue consists of?
The electic air dryer will be perfect for my boat!
Old     (timmy)      Join Date: Jul 2001       03-25-2003, 11:19 AM Reply   
i have a kenwood cd/mp3 in my car, and the $200 jvc cd/mp3 deck that circuit city sells in both my truck and my boat. all 3 units work great. i will never buy another head unit without mp3 (at least until some new technology comes out)

i have car amps and car subs. only marine components are the 6 1/2" coax drivers, mainly cause i got them installed from the factory (infinity kappas) cause I did not want to mess with the clearance between the front speakers and the windshield.

how many of you with car gear keep your boats on a lift or outside? my boat is garaged all the time when not in use, decreases the opportunity for direct water contact.