Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Video and Photography

Old     (tparider)      Join Date: Aug 2003       03-14-2004, 1:12 PM Reply   
As I'm editing in Premier 6.0, I find that the video lags behind for a second before it "catches up" and starts recording my clip when pulling directly from the camcorder. I'm thinking that the problem is my video card. It's probably my whole computer, but I can't get a new one at this point.

So, what's a good video card to get to help out with this issue? I don't need something crazy, just something that will do the job. I just edit for fun and I'll probably get it on eBay.

My current card is an ATI Rage Pro Turbo 2X AGP with 4MB SGRAM (what came with the machine).

Thanks a lot.
Old     (tparider)      Join Date: Aug 2003       03-14-2004, 1:29 PM Reply   
okay, I think I may have a problem. I just read this about my current computer - this person was doing some upgrades and wrote this:

"Also there is no AGP slot, which makes upgrading the on-board video card iffy, because it's a 2X AGP chipset and to install another card means to install a PCI video card. This would be a questionable pursuit in my opinion, but is an option should the on-board chip ever fail. Also, I don't believe this video chip is equipped for DVD decoding."

What does this mean?
Old     (bigjessup)      Join Date: May 2002       03-14-2004, 2:19 PM Reply   
It means that if you want to upgrade your video card, you need to upgrade you motherboard as well. Cause PCI cards are horrible when compared to AGP cards.
Old     (tparider)      Join Date: Aug 2003       03-14-2004, 6:41 PM Reply   
is that something that is easy to do? I've put in some RAM, a CD-RW drive, a couple of network cards, and did a new hard drive with reformatting and everything (with a friend's help on that one). Will I be able to do that myself?

Thanks.
Old                03-16-2004, 9:03 PM Reply   
Capturing video through firewire does not involve the video card. Even if you uprgrade your card to the biggest baddest one on the market, it wont make a diference. It could be one of several things thats making this happen. A) How fast is your processor? that could be what's holding you back.
B)How much ram do you have? I'd reccomend at least 512 megabytes.
C)It would help if you had a 7200rpm hard drive as opposed to an older 5400rpm one.
D)How long as it been since you reloaded windows? Your install could have become cluttered and that could be slowing you down.

As far as upgrading the motherboard, it is considered the largest of computer upgrades. You need to disconnect everything from the old board and put it to the new board. And most likely if you go to the trouble of upgrading your motherboard, you will need to upgrade your processor too. And if you do not have DDR ram in your current computer, you will need to upgrade to ddr. After you install a new motherboard it is best to reformat and reinstall windows. Unless you consider yourself pretty computer savy, it might be best to just buy a new system. Hope some of this helps out.
Old     (richd)      Join Date: Oct 2003       03-17-2004, 4:39 AM Reply   
Steve Z is on the right track. I would check system software and how many background apps you have running first and then check the speed of your harddrive. Also it's not unusual for the computer's video image to stutter or delay a bit while capture starts. If you're not freezing the capture process or dropping frames I'm not sure I'd be too concerned. Does the video play back fine one you've captured it? The DVD decoder (or lack of it) has nothing to do with the video editing process.
Old     (tparider)      Join Date: Aug 2003       03-17-2004, 1:57 PM Reply   
While in capture, I have to start recording the clip a little sooner than I actually want it to start because it's like there's a little lag time before it actually picks up the clip and begins it. I guess I could take out the little 64mb RAM card and put another 256mb in, maybe that will help a little till I can just get a whole new machine...

Thanks for the tips everyone.