Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through June 10, 2005

Old    robertt            05-10-2005, 11:07 AM Reply   
Well, I just about had myself talked into buying a new X7, but am giving it more thought now.

After spending a little time in a few comp boats I have found that the bow section is pretty much useless for everyday use.

First, I live on a lake and have a pontoon boat sitting right next to the ski boat. So…I don’t need to take a bunch of people out. Its only an 800 acre lake, so you go back by my dock every ten minutes or so.

Another issue is that this will be my first inboard, I currently have an I/O.

Although I love the new boats, is it really worth it to spend 45k on a new boat? Yea, it would be if I was absolutely certain that was the boat I wanted for many years to come…but it is also making sense to me to find something a few years old and learn what I want and also to learn how to drive an inboard. Many others will end up driving the boat…so I am sure it may get a little beat up the first year.

So, what are the pros and cons of an open bow. I realize resale will be much better on a open bow, but what other issues are there? It seems that a lot of the hard core guys on the lake have closed bow boats….what does that tell me?

I really don’t feel safe putting my kids in the front of a comp ski boat, and an adult is out of the question on a choppy day. So what good is it?

If I get a great deal on a open bow, great…but if the best deal is on a closed bow is there a good reason not to jump on it? With the recent trend towards open bows, is it true that I will be able to find a much better deal on a closed bow boat?

Thanks…

Robert
Old     (h20jnky)      Join Date: Mar 2003       05-10-2005, 11:18 AM Reply   
sounds like you have already worked this one out robert? go with what works best for you. open bows are nice for additional weight, passengers, stuff but if you find that the boat is going to serve a more utilitarian purpose and not one for lounging and cruising, well then feed your fancy. i would still go with the open bow for the long term return on resale, kids and different needs down the road. if the "hardcore guys on the lake have closed bows", that should tell you that they are slalom skiers...
Old    robertt            05-10-2005, 11:37 AM Reply   
Thanks...but I have hardly worked it out...I just cant seem to make up my mind. I do agree on the resale thing though.

Is there any other issues besides lounging and resale that a newbie would miss?
Old     (h20jnky)      Join Date: Mar 2003       05-10-2005, 11:48 AM Reply   
open bow offers convenience with ease of entry, docking, loading on trailer, passenger loading, stereo upgrades with speakers in bow, you can always purchase a tonneau to cover bow when not in use.
closed bows are becoming more and more obsolete, with the exception of slalom skiers and boarders on a budget. closed bows serve the same purpose and do it almost as well but with the x7, you get all that with the addition of the open bow.
there are plenty of used x7's down on the money out there, here are some links to try to help you find any deals:

www.boattraderonline.com.
www.flipsell.com
www.boats.com
www.iboats.com
www.ebay.com (boats)
www.wakeworld.com (classifieds)
www.boatsexpress.com (nationwide transport)
Old    robertt            05-10-2005, 11:57 AM Reply   
That was exactly the info I was looking for. I didnt even think about the passenger loading, docking, or any of those other issues.

I will stick with an open bow unless something comes my way that is just a stupid good deal.

Thanks Ryan!!!
Old     (ladythump)      Join Date: Jul 2004       05-10-2005, 1:13 PM Reply   
Robert-

You might want to hold off on getting an actual wakeboard boat until you get a little better at wakeboarding. I think you're going to find that as you progress, you're not going to like riding at LAKE ST LOUIS and you might want to consider getting a boat that is not just regulated for the lake.

Having moved to LAKE STL last season, we bought a LSL specific waterski boat. As we got better during the season, we realized we didn't like riding on LSL as much and now we ride on the river. We also wished we bought a different boat instead of one we could use on LSL.

If you want, I can speak more to you about this if we ever catch up with each other on the lake.

Ronia
Old     (stanfield)      Join Date: Mar 2004       05-10-2005, 1:19 PM Reply   
Just out of curiosity, why don't you feel safe letting people ride in the open bow?
Old     (fbroen)      Join Date: Apr 2002       05-10-2005, 1:36 PM Reply   
I dislike driving with people up in the bow because of obstructed view. But I like open bow for docking etc. Perhaps most important, much better storage/easier access for extra ballast up front.

Old    robertt            05-10-2005, 1:41 PM Reply   
Ronia...thanks, I hope to see you this week on the lake...I am leaving work in a few minutes and plan on getting out today. In the end, that is my fear...buying a boat that I regret in a year or two. Not a big deal if you buy used...but plunking down 45K on a new boat then selling it after a year would hurt. I just want to make a good decision.

Stanfield...I guess because its so easy to take on water and I dont know if I want my 3 year old sitting up there by herself. I may get over that...who knows. I realize that if you drive properly it shouldnt be an issue but again I am sure I will have a ton of other people driving the boat now and then and I cant guarantee what they will do.

neighbors, etc...you know how it is.
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       05-10-2005, 2:59 PM Reply   
Robert,

After owning closed bow boats for 30+ years I have had my new open bow boat for less then 2 months. I cannot think of a reason to go back to a closed bow. Most dedicated slalom guys with promo boats have even switched to open bow boats and even some with towers because they are so much more convenient. Those guys rarely even use the front but it's there if ever needed.
Old    masterwake            05-11-2005, 1:41 AM Reply   
Open has my vote-better resale, and more convenient.
Old     (882001)      Join Date: Nov 2003       05-11-2005, 7:28 AM Reply   
are you talking about new open bows and used closed. cause you could save alot of money and still get what you need out of a closed bow. and party in the pontoon. thats probably what i would do, but i am cheap. how many people do you usually ride with? i have never had any trouble docking or loading my closed bow.
Old    alanp            05-11-2005, 8:00 AM Reply   
it depends if you just wanna spend money get an open bow. a closed bow will serve you just fine and save money.
Old     (wakeguru)      Join Date: Feb 2003       05-11-2005, 8:22 AM Reply   
Robert, like 882001 said, docking or loading isn't that big of an issue. Storage and people space is, but you live on a lake so any extra riders and gear can hang on the dock.

I bought a new '02 X5 (closed bow) for about $20K less than what you're quoting and from what I've seen in my area the resale is still pretty good on mine.

There are times when I wished I would have bought an open bow, but at the time of purchase it was about $12K more for a CC or MC with open bow and not worth it to me. Like you, I live on a lake and it works for me.
Old     (tdeneka)      Join Date: Aug 2002       05-11-2005, 8:22 AM Reply   
I didn't read any responses, but:

Open bow- because you can always just get a cover for the times you want it closed (like cold weather wind blockage) and it is available as an open space when you need/want it.
Old    jlm            05-11-2005, 8:30 AM Reply   
Mines for sale...for what it's worth (in the thread that is)I love it. I just want a bass boat. My riding bud has an X-Star so I really don't need it.

Old     (skibum69)      Join Date: Aug 2004       05-11-2005, 9:05 AM Reply   
Wakinvol want to let me swap enignes with you if you are going to sell it?

(Message edited by skibum69 on May 11, 2005)
Old     (jon_a)      Join Date: Feb 2003       05-11-2005, 9:36 AM Reply   
Chris has it right. Open bow for resale value. You might not need an open bow but another person might. Put a snap on bow cover on it.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       05-11-2005, 10:03 AM Reply   
I have never heard of anyone falling out of an open-bow boat. because of the chop. sure, maybe because of the jim beam or wine coolers. I don't guess you would sac it out then. Open bow for sure
Old    robertt            05-11-2005, 10:20 AM Reply   
Thanks everyone. Wakinvol...shoot me an email at robertt@parkway-inc.com

thanks.
Old    robertt            05-11-2005, 10:33 AM Reply   
Thanks everyone. Wakinvol...shoot me an email at robertt@parkway-inc.com

thanks.
Old     (schmo)      Join Date: Oct 2003       05-11-2005, 10:55 AM Reply   
I heavily favor open bow boats however, care does have to be taken as you can fall out and tragedy can occur.

The link below is an accident close to where I live that happened a month or so ago. Poor girl lost her balance and went overboard to be sucked under and struck by the prop several times. She had severe damage to her body and ended up losing an arm.

My only point is that it can happen and you need to be careful and be aware of what is going on. I know I have lost my balance in the boat when someone slowed down or sped up unexpectedly.

http://www.wakeboardatlanta.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=6591&PN=5&mbDate=4/20/2005%2010:53:50%20AM

http://www2.caringbridge.org/ga/katiewootton/index.htm

(Message edited by schmo on May 11, 2005)
Old    robertt            05-11-2005, 11:30 AM Reply   
Well, reading that story is exactly why it worries me. If you are not an idiot, everything will be fine….but unfortunately we are all guilty of a stupid act now and then.

Simple answer…don’t put anyone in the front of an open bow when there is even the remote possibility that something rough can happen. Kids…never.

Other than just poking around, I wouldn’t want anyone in the front of the boat.

The biggest issue that I have is that I built this house on this lake for entertaining and friends. There will always be new friends in and around the boat that have no idea what they are doing.

Here is the deal…what started this entire thing is that I was out on the lake and saw a MC 197 cruising along with about five little kids in the bow and about seven people in the back. It was a friggin joke. They were cruising around like idiot….im sure it was the owners brother or somebody taking everyone out for a spin.

They made a power turn into their own wake and took about a foot of water over the bow. I saw the little (2-5year olds) kids heads get slammed back into the windshield then I just heard crying. I am sure they were OK, but it made me think.

Old     (schmo)      Join Date: Oct 2003       05-11-2005, 11:37 AM Reply   
I don't think it is a matter of being an idiot... it is just a matter of being aware of your surroundings and never taking for granted the danger that boating in general can cause.

We all sometimes get too comfortable with something and that is when most accidents occur. You get over confident and don't take the precausions that you once did. If you stay seated at all times and don't drive like a total nut, I don't think there is a problem. It is most likely that she was standing when this incident happened a I understand it.
Old    matt_w            05-12-2005, 12:27 PM Reply   
I like my closed bow, plenty of room for batteries and stereo equip. and slalom skis and wakeboards...etc....

also keeps you totally out of the wind in the winter.

Open bows are nice, but if you have another boat like I do you just don't need the extra room so why spend the extra dollars?

Old     (tlb)      Join Date: Feb 2003       05-12-2005, 4:52 PM Reply   
Robert, I used to own an x-7 before we bought our SAN. I really liked that boat and would highly recommend it. Like someone said earlier, try to find a used one if you can. The only reason we sold it was because we were looking for a more wakeboard specific boat. This is a great waterski boat and throws a decent wake if you add some side sacks along with the ballast bag that comes with the boat.
A buddy of mine lives on a private lake and a couple of people there own x-7's/197's.
I don't know if you've demo'd one yet or not but that boat is super fun to drive.