Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through October 28, 2007

Old     (tommyg)      Join Date: Apr 2002       08-26-2007, 10:48 AM Reply   
local dealer is advertising an '07 denali Xl, $10.7k off msrp. seems like a great deal. problem is, no nav or dvd (for the kids). my question is this...better to find one with these options, or to go aftermarket?

In the denali, nav means you automatically have to purchase dvd. both options total about $3,800. my thought is that for that amount of dough, i could put in a nice aftermarket dvd headrest setup (I'm not a big fan of the ones that take up headliner space anyway), as well as put in an aftermarket nav (plus, i could buy one with bluetooth, which is not an option in the denali for some unknown reason).

Is it that big of an advantage to use the stock system, or is this a good option? Does anyone know of a good nav system that fits nicely into the denali with a "factory look", that also includes a reverse camera option?

The one i'm looking at has 20" rims and sunroof, $43k. if i could put in aftermarket nav and dvd, I'd have all the options i need.
Old     (droon)      Join Date: Jun 2007       08-26-2007, 11:02 AM Reply   
Imo, go with the Kenwood in dash navigation system. It's all touch screen, plays dvds right there, can hook up with sirius or xm radio. You can add a Tv tuner, back up camera all to this system. You should be able to buy and get it installed for about $2000. I ordered my 07 Limited Expedition with no stereo upgrades or dvd because I put this system in and then hooked up rear entertainment monitors as well. I did it all for about $2600, way better than the factory system and about $1100 cheaper too.
Old     (tommyg)      Join Date: Apr 2002       08-26-2007, 12:35 PM Reply   
D-Roon, do you have any interior pics by chance? How do you like the Expedition? We've considered going with the ford, but i like the extra power of the denali, and my wife likes the interior better. It seems like a comparably equipped expedition is priced about $5k or so less though.
Old     (droon)      Join Date: Jun 2007       08-26-2007, 12:45 PM Reply   
I've worked for a Ford dealership for almost 10 years so I "may" be a little biased, but I really do love the Expedition. The Limited pkg is super nice. As a matter of fact in a few days they're going to offer 0% for 72mos on all 07's- I think it's aug 30th- sept 3rd. Sorry I dont have any pics, but the kenwood system fits right in the dash where the radio was, super clean, nothing out of place.
Old     (tommyg)      Join Date: Apr 2002       08-26-2007, 1:02 PM Reply   
0% is definitely nice. what kind of deals under msrp can you currently get (ballpark) for an EL?
Old     (droon)      Join Date: Jun 2007       08-26-2007, 1:06 PM Reply   
For Example an MSRP of say $42,900 would have an invoice of $39,440. Any dealer in his right mind would sell one at dead invoice or $100 over right now.
Old     (supra24ssv)      Join Date: Mar 2006       08-26-2007, 1:11 PM Reply   
You are talking about 2 diff. trucks, the ford does not compare to the denali. The navigator is a better comparison. I buy fords on a-plan (below dealer invoice) and could have had a 07 navigator for the same price as my denali but the ride of the denali is in a league of its own. I would get the options from the factory to answer your first question.

(Message edited by supra24ssv on August 26, 2007)

(Message edited by supra24ssv on August 26, 2007)
Old     (supra24ssv)      Join Date: Mar 2006       08-26-2007, 1:14 PM Reply   
here is a picUpload
Old     (droon)      Join Date: Jun 2007       08-26-2007, 1:31 PM Reply   
I used to think Factory options were always the way to go, but when it comes to technology stuff, the Auto Manufacturers are wayyyy behind. Plus, they're pricing is insane. Ford charges almost $3000 for Navigation as a factory option. They charge $1600 for a 7" rear dvd player. I am pretty sure the other domestics are in the same ball park. I am really happy with the system I have, so happy that I put the same one in my 06 F-150 4x4.
Old     (tommyg)      Join Date: Apr 2002       08-26-2007, 1:35 PM Reply   
Nice truck. we do love the denali. I have test driven it (the XL), and the power along with the 6 speed is a great combo. Wish it had fold-flat 3rd row seats and bluetooth (even my '02 5 series has bluetooth!), but other than that it has everything we want.

Just a question now of getting the best possible deal we can. Would consider the ford if it's going to be a big drop in price (and 0% financing would make a difference), but if we can get the denali we want for $11-12k off msrp, I think we'd step up for it.
Old     (droon)      Join Date: Jun 2007       08-26-2007, 1:36 PM Reply   
here's the link to that kenwood navi
http://www.kenwoodusa.com/products/ListProduct.aspx?k1=2&k2=38&k3=150&pr=2759
Old     (joe_crawley)      Join Date: Jan 2007       08-26-2007, 3:33 PM Reply   
get the nav
Old     (pwningjr)      Join Date: Apr 2007       08-26-2007, 5:34 PM Reply   
lol $1600 for a 7" DVD player!! You can get a 9" portable one at Best Buy for around $150!
Old     (peterc4)      Join Date: Aug 2005       08-27-2007, 9:53 PM Reply   
Weird. I just got an 07 Denali for my wife. Got it with NAV but without DVD as we are planning on adding headrest DVD players with video games for the kids. A friend of mine just got the new Limited Expedition and although it's very nice, I don't think it compares to the Denali. Here's ours.

Upload
Old     (tommyg)      Join Date: Apr 2002       08-28-2007, 3:16 PM Reply   
Nice looking truck, Red. I had assumed that you had to buy the dvd player package with the nav, b/c on the GMC site, when i selected nav on the "build your gmc" template, it seemed to me that the dvd player option automatically checked.

Happy to find out if I'm wrong. ultimately, I'd like to do what you're doing...factory nav along with my own custom headrest dvd set-up. The factory rear dvd setups are way too intrusive, the one on the Expedition is especially big and bulky.
Old     (peterc4)      Join Date: Aug 2005       08-28-2007, 5:29 PM Reply   
Thanks, Tommy. It must be some kind of glitch on their website. It let me select NAV without DVD.

Upload
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       08-28-2007, 5:32 PM Reply   
I have a 07 Caddy EXT Im assuming the DVD Nav is the same on Denali. $3800 seems like alot but I say its worth it. If you can have them install a factory touch screen Nav unit for $3800 I say go for it. Your gonna make up 1/2 that on re sale and the factory unit in my rig is Awesome. Its the best Nav I have seen so far.
Old     (johnsvt)      Join Date: Dec 2006       08-28-2007, 8:15 PM Reply   
There is a way to add factory add nav to your vehicle. I would talk to dealer about adding nav if you really want it but don't get hung up on having nav...if the unit is 2000 more I doubt you will recoup the cost on trade in. That being said, I would agree with "G" in that the GM nav systems might be one of the best and easiest to use out there. I have been adding the gm acc. dvd's and think the new system is great all the wires are hidden and each screen has it's own dvd player just behind the screen, should cost between 1700-2000.
Old     (tommyg)      Join Date: Apr 2002       08-29-2007, 8:44 AM Reply   
I think I'm going to pass on this deal, even though it's definitely the best I've come across. The truck is black on black, which is definitely not my first preference. I would like to get the factory nav, you all make good points The $3,800 is for nav AND rear dvd, I believe it's like $2,300 or so just for nav.

If I'm spending this much dough, I definitely want to get exactly what I want. I'm sure there will be some nice deals as the last '07's leave the lot.

It's a beautiful truck, I've test driven it. 380 horse, plus the 6 speed tranny is hard to beat...
Old     (aquahawk)      Join Date: Feb 2005       08-30-2007, 9:21 PM Reply   
We've had both (Denali/Escalade) and put in after market units in both. If blowing (my term) the $3800 without the hassle of bringing it to another shop (time, effort) makes more sense to you, then go for it. I have had more luck (IMO) with after market products and installers. Including my sunroofs.

Spending the money for the sake of spending it, regardless of how much you have of it, to me, is just piss poor money management. But what the hell do I know. :-)
Old     (sinkoumn)      Join Date: Jan 2007       08-31-2007, 7:57 AM Reply   
Buy an aftermarket headunit and install it yourself. I put an AVIC Z2 in my Denali and like it WAY more than the stock NAVI that GMC installs.

Plus you save a crap load of money doing it yourself because installing decks is easy as pie.
Old     (tommyg)      Join Date: Apr 2002       09-04-2007, 10:46 AM Reply   
Two other questions for you guys:

-does anyone know if GM will be offering 0% financing on the Denali and/or Suburban anytime soon? it seems like there's a few 0% offers out there right now, would hate to miss out if GM is planning to do this soon on '07s.

-how is the 5.3 for towing? I know it's not going to be as nice as the 6.2 and 6 speed, but i want to have an idea in case i come across a sweet deal for a suburban. I don't need a total powerhouse, but one of the main reasons i'm looking to trade in our current ride (2001 durango with 4.7) is the absolute lack of towing power, especially when we go to Tahoe. Is the 5.3 still have some nice get up and go?
Old     (fatsac)      Join Date: Jun 2004       09-04-2007, 11:03 AM Reply   
Nav is the only option I didn't order with my 4-Runner. I'm still kicking myself... especially when lost, which is often.
I think it was roughly the same price.
Old     (jonfo)      Join Date: May 2002       09-04-2007, 11:42 AM Reply   
Tommy, I have owned a 2004 Tahoe with 5.3 290hp, and a 2007 Tahoe with the 5.3 320hp. The 2007 with the displacement on demand thing does nothing for mpg, it gets the same or worse mpg as my 2004. The extra 30hp is noticeable though, so i would take the 2007 over the 2004, but dont think you will get better milage with the 5.3 Vs the 6.2. I get about 12mpg, 14-15 if on the highway, and I have talked to people with the Denali with the 6.2 and they get the same. Bottom line is if you have a choice go with the 6.2 and not the 5.3.
Old     (tommyg)      Join Date: Apr 2002       09-04-2007, 1:47 PM Reply   
Jon, how is the 5.3 for towing, do you find it lacking at all? My preference is definitely the 6.2, but want to keep my options open if I happen to come across a really good deal...my wife's given the green light to buy something, just trying to be as fiscally responsible as I can...
Old     (phatboypimp)      Join Date: Apr 2005       09-04-2007, 1:52 PM Reply   
I had a 2001 Tahoe with the 5.3L, and it was all it could do to pull my MC209 up a hill at 55mph (on 20" wheels which killed some power as well)I have a 2.5 hour hilly drive to get to the lake so I needed more HP. If you are doing short drives to the lake with the occassional long trip I think it will be fine. I moved to the 6.0L in my H2 and I am much happier.
Old     (jonfo)      Join Date: May 2002       09-04-2007, 1:53 PM Reply   
The 07 5.3 is good for towing. On steep inclines it may have to drop to 2nd or 1st to get up, but it works, and it is better than the 04 5.3. The 6.2 is probably way better though. My dissapointment is in that the mpg is worse with the 5.3 than the 6.2, so all else equal, always take the 6.2. Also if buying new dont spring for the 20" factory wheels, its like $2k and you can do way better aftermarket. With the 08s out you should be able to find some good deals on the 07s new or used. good luck!
Old     (jonfo)      Join Date: May 2002       09-04-2007, 1:56 PM Reply   
Also, they do offer the 5.3 tahoe's and yukons with a 4.10 axel ration for an extra $100. I calculated that out to a 10% increase in rpm/10% increase in rear wheel power over the 3.73. I would have liked to have that option.
Old     (tommyg)      Join Date: Apr 2002       09-04-2007, 2:57 PM Reply   
Thanks for the info guys. I'm sure the 6.2 gas mileage is tied to that 6 speed tranny. I think I'm going to hold out for that option. When we load up the Durango to go to Tahoe, it's a complete joke, I get semi's passing me up if i don't build up enough speed on the downhills. I have to drop it down to 1 occassionally and crawl up some inclines...truly embarrasing. Some of it's due to elevation I'm sure, but it's exactly what I want to avoid in a new ride...
Old     (emay)      Join Date: Apr 2005       09-06-2007, 10:07 AM Reply   
Tommy, I have an 07 avalanche, essentialy the same dash configuration, minus console and such. I went aftermarket for the Z-1 last July and haven't looked back. The features you get in doing so are far above the oem supplied units. I came from the previous gen Denali to the avalanche. Go aftermarket and you won't be disappointed. Avic Z-2 would be my choice. Get the back up camera, XM or sirius and your set.

Here's a few shots of it:

Upload
Upload
Old     (tommyg)      Join Date: Apr 2002       09-13-2007, 8:59 PM Reply   
thanks for posting the pics. that does look very clean and "factory", have heard good things about the Avics.

Still looking for the right deal out there, and open to w or w/o nav at this point...