Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (popwar4207)      Join Date: Apr 2010       04-21-2010, 7:18 AM Reply   
I can't decide between these two boards. I've read the reviews and I just can't destinguish one as the better board for me. Does anybody have any info that might help me decide which one to get? I ride behind the boat a lot but I also ride rails so it's about 50-50. Thanks guys.
Old     (Luker)      Join Date: Feb 2010       04-21-2010, 7:26 AM Reply   
Chicks dig the Watson Hybrid. Thats the entire reason I ride it.
Attached Images

Old     (popwar4207)      Join Date: Apr 2010       04-21-2010, 7:27 AM Reply   
Haha the looks of the Watson are sickkk. Do you have any bolt on fins in on just molded in?
Old     (Luker)      Join Date: Feb 2010       04-21-2010, 7:32 AM Reply   
They are 0.7 bolt on.... its pretty loose and fun behind the boat esp compared to the S4 I rode last year which even with just molded fins felt sticky. I rode cable all winter on my Henshaw press... so going back to the S4 felt terrible. The Hybrid was a nice middle ground.
Old     (popwar4207)      Join Date: Apr 2010       04-21-2010, 7:42 AM Reply   
Yeah that's why I'm leaning towards the Waton because the Bill doesn't have the molded in fins the Watson does so it's probably too sticky for my style.
Old     (benjaminp)      Join Date: Nov 2008       04-21-2010, 8:08 AM Reply   
Not really following your logic on that one? If the Bill doesnt have molded in fins, you can make it as sticky or as loose as you want it. The Watson will only get so loose because it has molded fins and more bottom features. You probably wont be making a bad decision either way you go, they are both pro level boards.
Old     (popwar4207)      Join Date: Apr 2010       04-21-2010, 8:17 AM Reply   
The Bill will either be sticky as hell or loose as the hell. That's where I'm at right now and I'm looking for an in between. The Waston seems to have a happy medium. And the flex style will be perfect for rails.
Old     (spencerwm)      Join Date: Feb 2009       04-21-2010, 9:07 AM Reply   
I am stoked on both boards this year. Liquid Force killed it with the Watson Hybrid shape and the flex is perfect. With that said the new Ronix Bill shape is really fun wake to wake. Having the slider fins and sintered base will be super durable on the rails. You are not going to go wrong either way and it really comes down to how much flex you want.
Old     (andrew_moreton)      Join Date: Feb 2003       04-21-2010, 9:20 AM Reply   
The new Watson and Watson Hybrid do not have molded fins for 2010. If you look at that photo of Luker above, those fins are the bolt-on fins. There are features on the bottom of the board, but no true molded fins, which is very similar to the Bill. I ride my Hybrid primarily on the cable so I do not have any fins on my board. It's fine finless but you need to have good edging technique and not rely too much on fins on your previous boards. If you want something with true molded fins, you'll need to look at the Watson Classic, which was last year's Watson shape that has the molded fins. The problem there is that the Watson Classic does not have the LF Grind Base for 2010, so if you want molded fins and a board that will really hold up for rails, you'll need to search for a 2009 LF Watson LTD that has the white top sheet. All that said, the 2010 Hybrid or Bill will both be great boards and would be relatively similar.

Last edited by andrew_moreton; 04-21-2010 at 9:22 AM.
Old     (steezyshots)      Join Date: Feb 2008       04-21-2010, 9:30 AM Reply   
Watson came out to shoot a couple weeks ago and I took a long look at the hybrid, I must say that board looks like it is super fun to ride!
Old     (Luker)      Join Date: Feb 2010       04-21-2010, 10:26 AM Reply   
^ it really is man. You can barely tell its flex behind the boat because the center is nice and stiff.... and it presses really well on rails since the tip and tail are pretty flexy. Lots of fun for sure.
Old     (stang_killa_ss)      Join Date: Jan 2010       04-21-2010, 11:31 AM Reply   
x2 on watson. perfect amount of loosness. and the pop is stupid.
Old     (dlwsrider)      Join Date: Apr 2007       04-21-2010, 4:06 PM Reply   
The Bill is a super fun board, very durable, and lets be honest, it has a chalk board. That means that it likes to party.
Old     (kristian)      Join Date: Nov 2002       04-21-2010, 4:19 PM Reply   
+1 for the Bill. Super super fun board! Very durable! There's just so much fun to be had on that board. Very playful but is a rockstar off the wake. Surprises most people when they ride it.
Old     (benjaminp)      Join Date: Nov 2008       04-21-2010, 4:20 PM Reply   
Shoulda done my homework on the fins there. My point was that you can put different size fins on a board to change how it feels. As made apparent by the relative looseness of the Watson's bolt on fins.
Old     (kyle_L)      Join Date: Mar 2010       04-21-2010, 4:36 PM Reply   
This is comparing apples to oranges. You are comparing a 3-stage board to a continuous. Two completely different animals. With removable fins, no matter what designs they come out with, you are going to break off a fin occasionally on rails. It also depends on how big of a wake you are riding. If you are riding a sacked out huge wake, then you won't be giving up too much pop and gaining a lot more predictability with the Bill because it is continuous. It will also be much faster and land much softer in the flats. Now on the same token, the watson on a huge wake is going to give you HUGE pop and the flex in the tip and tails should help with harder flats landings. If you are riding a medium to small wake, then I would 100% go with a 3-stage rocker to maximize pop
Old     (cheesydog)      Join Date: Mar 2009       04-21-2010, 6:57 PM Reply   
I honestly I think you couldnt pick 2 more dissimilar boards. There are many fans of the bill but for me it cant touch the watson hybrid. The hybrid has such a snappy lively feel characteristic of the flex boards, yet it still maintains enough firmness in the middle and has the bottom features of traditional boards. This sets it apart from the slingies and the company boards, makes it a superior ride in my opinion, not starting anything but thats how i call it.

One thing I always say tho with the hybrid, try swapping out the stock fins with lyman fins. Especially for cable and rails it makes the board really come alive as you can still get on a good strong edge, but the lyman fins are infinitely better for pressing and sliding on obstacles.
Old     (onepoorpilot)      Join Date: Apr 2010       04-23-2010, 8:15 AM Reply   
I bought the omg 139 watson last week. Best cable board iv ever ridden hands down.
Old     (kyle_L)      Join Date: Mar 2010       04-23-2010, 1:11 PM Reply   
Mark, why would you put center fins on the board if you are riding cable?
Old     (superair502)      Join Date: Mar 2010       04-23-2010, 9:10 PM Reply   
Are the new watson boards sized down because of width like the previous such are 139=141 in surface area because i weigh around 195 and a 141 sounds about right but if they arent sized down the 143 =145, thats a little massive. Im currently riding the 09 138 which should =a 140 in surface area. the reccommended weight is up to 210 i beleive.
Old     (cheesydog)      Join Date: Mar 2009       04-25-2010, 10:41 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle_L View Post
Mark, why would you put center fins on the board if you are riding cable?
kyle dont think I ever said anything about center fins? Only mentioned I ride the hybrid with the Lyman side cup fins. Like I said, theyre enough to give u a good strong edge for air tricks but the board still feels very skatey and loose in neutral, and slides well on obstacles.

Its a good compromise as riding the hybrid completely finless is great for obstacles but not for air tricks.
Old     (gene3x)      Join Date: Apr 2005 Location: Dallas , TX       07-19-2010, 9:57 AM Reply   
Sorry about the thread rebirth but I am wanting to know about the 2009 Watson Press How does it compare the the Classic & Hybrid? Good for Rails? Flat flex board? Molded fins? How does it ride compared to the classic?
Old     (Luker)      Join Date: Feb 2010       07-19-2010, 11:22 AM Reply   
I just broke my Press in half at McCormicks Saturday but shredded it on rails for like 8 months (super durable) and loved it... completely different from the hybrid... super flat, soft flex, tru rail board. The classic is the original Watson, its in no way similar to either the hybrid or the press so I'm not sure why ur looking to compare... like apples and oranges duder
Old     (gene3x)      Join Date: Apr 2005 Location: Dallas , TX       07-19-2010, 11:51 AM Reply   
Thanks man. That is what I was looking for..... I just had no clue. Can you ride wake and still get consistant pop? I hated the Slingshot boards.... I am assuming they pop off the wake similar to any flex board.
Old     (Luker)      Join Date: Feb 2010       07-19-2010, 12:53 PM Reply   
Hybrid's pop off the wake is money... as much as I loved it on rails, the Press is not a boat board. Rode it once and was not a fan... just too mushy and inconsistent. Slingshot has way more consistent snap that the press... its truly a rail board... I'm tellin ya though man, that Hybrid is where its at. Does everything so well and is mad fun.
Old     (gene3x)      Join Date: Apr 2005 Location: Dallas , TX       07-19-2010, 2:26 PM Reply   
Rock on. Thanks man.