Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through May 12, 2008

Old     (wakedude101)      Join Date: Apr 2008       04-24-2008, 7:25 PM Reply   
i want i new wakeboard im 5'4" 100 pounds and im 13 so ill be going some more i do spins air raleys and bat wings and i love expocive tricks i want a all around good board thats light amazing pop and there is no price range ...thanx
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       04-24-2008, 8:05 PM Reply   
check out the slingshot recoil....it has crazy pop, and if flex isn't for you the Ronix ibex pops pretty hard too
Old     (innov8)      Join Date: May 2005       04-25-2008, 7:57 AM Reply   
Check out the 08 Hyperlite B-Side 127cm or 131cm.
Nice and light with big pop.
Old     (wakedude101)      Join Date: Apr 2008       04-27-2008, 5:19 PM Reply   
ive never riden a board with flex what are the pros and cons does it give a huge pop?
Old     (iamnathanhudson)      Join Date: Dec 2002       04-27-2008, 5:36 PM Reply   
slingshot is killa!
Old     (wakedude101)      Join Date: Apr 2008       04-27-2008, 6:27 PM Reply   
ive never riden a board with flex what are the pros and cons does it give a huge pop?
Old     (wakedude101)      Join Date: Apr 2008       04-27-2008, 8:34 PM Reply   
whats the best board ronix ibex ...ronix 1 ....ronix dhv1.... slingshot recoil... or a hyperlite board......i want a board with huge pop extreamly aggresive and LIGHT AS HELL and i do not no wat size to get im 5'4" 100 pounds and im 13 so im still growing thanx for your help
Old     (brodie_chaboya)      Join Date: Apr 2006       04-27-2008, 10:33 PM Reply   
Marek, Byerly Monarch 52", B-side 131
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       04-27-2008, 11:32 PM Reply   
LOTS of pop and hardly any weight = slingshot

my 142 slingshot weighs a LOT less than my 134 Ibex did... the monarch is pretty light too but nowhere near the SS....check one out, you won't be dissapointed
Old     (player138)      Join Date: Jun 2007       04-28-2008, 8:19 AM Reply   
DHV1 is supposed to be super light and have really good pop. I'm not sure that it comes smaller than a 137 though, which would likely be too big for you.
Old     (wakedude101)      Join Date: Apr 2008       04-29-2008, 7:56 AM Reply   
i a 134 ronix ibex too big for me?
Old     (wakedude101)      Join Date: Apr 2008       05-01-2008, 6:16 PM Reply   
is a ronix ibex 134 too big for me
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       05-03-2008, 12:24 PM Reply   
IBEX:
A 134 should not be too big for you. It is good for riders up to 175 lbs
the 139 is for riders above 160 lbs... or so the board review states on the board's stats
some people will choose to ride larger though, but for you it may not be recommended...
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
SLINGSHOT (and flex)
I am another rider that can say they will never own/ride anything other than a flex-board (more specifically a slingshot board)

Sometimes the word "flex" can be thrown arround too generally. There are two major types of "flex-boards" on the market now
1. REBOUNDING/ CONTROLLABLE FLEX - good for both wake riding and for rails. The flex rebounds back like a rubber band and provides additional lift when loaded correctly. boards that fit this description are: Slingshot recoil and responce (currently the leader in this type), Liquid Force Press, Obrien local (and maybe the Obrien R-5 too)
2. "WET NOODLE" FLEX - These boards do not rebound to their original shape as well and may not be the best for wake riding, unless just messing around. These boards are popular for rails mostly. boards in this category are: Hyperlite roam, Ronix Covenant, and Obrien R-5

Flex (speaking of the rebounding type) is an entirely new thing and is as different as comparing 3-stage rocker to continuous rocker, more so in fact. Some are really diggin it, some are not. many more have not even tasted flex, because of how new and revolutionary it is to wake.

PROS:
*Super soft landings (a minority believe the landings are harder)
*added lift from the "rebounding quality" (if you are confident in your edge/cut)
*teaches correct edging technique- the better you edge the more "power" the board will store, releasing it when you pop at the wake... think of "loading the line" but for your board too.
*Super light thin, but durable. ex. Slingshots are USA made, have an ABS side wall and have a combination of high-quality foam and wood in the core. Obrien's new line is an EVA core and they are actually providing warranties for their boards even after hitting rails apparently.

CONS:
*can be a little slippery- the boards have no channels. channels create ridged spots in the board and hinder the flex performance. (BUT the smooth surface is great for sliders and adds to the effect of relying on your edge, teaching your correct edging)
*flex just isn't for everyone, but it is at least for everyone to try and taste. ;)

Most of the cons i believe are things that you can get used to. Most people take up to 3 sets to really get used to the board, but those 3 sets will still be a blast!

Slingshot boots are pretty unique and awesome too