Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Trick Tips

Old                09-12-2001, 12:17 PM Reply   
I've heard this trick is not that hard to do, but it can be brutal if you wipe out. Looking for tips on how to do it, and opinions.
Old    Nielsen (lzyboy) on Frid            09-14-2001, 11:20 AM Reply   
1) commitment
2) Hard solid cut
3) Get the POP first - throw your legs out - happens naturallly with right cut
4) Keep the handle below your head
5) If the cut is hard enough at the right angle
you can nail it w/o much effort.
6) Crashes hurt!! Be carefull - and again make sure you are committed

I nail them 99% of the time now, last weekend I threw about 20 + of them and all clean. I will email you a clip of one of the first times i nailed it!!

Good Luck

-= peace =-
Old                09-17-2001, 11:30 AM Reply   
Make sure you understand what loading the line is before you try this trick.
If you know what it means and can do it, just gather your balls and give it a try, you won't be disapointed.
Old                10-05-2001, 4:26 PM Reply   
Rayley?
Old    lol I spelled raley wrong hehe o-well            10-05-2001, 4:33 PM Reply   
I've always wanted to post these pics. Just learned how to use the ol' scanner.

Thats the same guy in both pics. Kinda cool. umm hes on a trampoline in the first pic just incase you were thinking otherwise, or cared.

(lol I spelled raley wrong hehe o-well)
Old    about 20 feet out            02-10-2002, 3:51 PM Reply   
The air raley is easy. Many people just think it is hard because they are scared of it. All you have to do is suck it up and go. First make a good cut (about 20 feet out) then cut in hard and make sure you load the line. When you cut in, drop your butt close to the water, then edge through the wake. Hit the wake and pop, but let your legs go. To come back in, just bring the handle towards your stomach. After that, just stick the landing and don't catch an edge. The raley is all just fear.
Old                02-11-2002, 10:52 AM Reply   
Dan,

If you are "cutting hard and have your butt close to the water and edge through the wake" when you get the pop and let your legs go, they will want to go forward because of the set up for the jump. How do you go from having your legs in front of you and your butt way low to having your legs compeletly behind you? make sense?? I want to try the trick but have to be able to visualize it first.

Thanks,
Dave
Old    it will come natural - trust me            02-11-2002, 5:15 PM Reply   
ok, i guess i was alittle vague. what happens, is you pop, and when you do let your legs kind of fly back (it will come natural - trust me) and if you load the line, the rope will pull you forward. I know the set up sounds weird, but when you hit the wake pop hard, and your legs will automatically fly back (unless you force them down) its really scarey, but after about 4 tries you will feel it
Old                02-12-2002, 1:47 PM Reply   
This trick isn't that hard but you have to make sure that you relax your stomach and allow your legs to extend behind you. The other key to the trick is to keep your head up during the entire trick. For me, I try to look at the tower to keep my body straight. This is the MOST important part of the trick.
Old    Dallas Texas Group            02-18-2002, 2:28 PM Reply   
Hey I know that I was on www.n2wakeboarding.com (Dallas Texas Group) and Jason G. did a write up on it.. I posted this on www.wakeboarder.com a while back.. BY FAR the best description or instructions on doing a raley..

Trick of the month - October

The Raley…

The raley has to be the hardest trick to try, but the easiest to do once you know how. The fear factor is definitely larger than the skill factor needed. It is totally mental. Here is the breakdown:

1. Edge

This is the first thing you need to think about. It is also the most important thing. If you don't get this right, the rest is a very painful experience. Cut out a little farther than you do on a wake jump. Then, slowly and progressively edge back in. Now, don't come in on the "bat out of Hell/screaming like Rambo" cut. It is out of control and out of balance. Don't worry about speed. Speed will come later. Cut in as progressive and hard as you can without losing balance between your feet. Only cut as fast as you fell you can control. An out of control cut will get very rear foot heavy and you will do the infamous star-gaze and spin 90 degrees to the front. Come in unger control and with good balance on your board.

2. Pop

When you hit the wake, you want you weight to be behind the board instead of on top like a wake jump. Not behind the board as in on your rear foot, but behind the board as in on your heels. Edge all the way up and through the wake.

3. Handle

On a wake jump, when you pop, you pull that loaded rope in to your hips to stay upright. Well, on a raley, let it out in front of your face. Don't just push it out their, because you will put slack in the rope. Let it out as the load pulls it away. This will throw your feet out behind you hard and fast, like a whip.

4. Head

At this point, you have exploded of the wake and your feet have been whipped out from under you. Now what? Only one thing controls this, your head. Your body IS going to follow your head. Don't look down, and don't look to the side. Look straight ahead. Look at the water way ahead of you and use it to judge how high you are. This is the scary part. DON'T LET GO!! No rope, no hope!

5. Landing

Alright, you're up, you're out, and this flight is about over. It's time to get this back in. Give that handle a good tug towards your knees. This will pull that board back in a hurry. Get it under you and sit it down. You will find this landing to be softer than you think. You have so much lateral movement that you sit down very smoothly. It's not the hard thud of usual jumps to the flats.

Well, that's it! Anyone can do it. Ride, have fun and be safe!

Good luck,
Jason Gindrup

Hope that helps..
B