Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Trick Tips

Old                03-28-2001, 5:38 PM Reply   
i just started wakeboarding last summer, i have excellent control riding normal and coming down from jumps, but every time i try to ride switch, my board gets sideways and i fall on my face. can anyone give me some tips or pointers on how to ride switch? i'm getting tired of simple wakejumps and ollies.

bigfoot
Old                03-28-2001, 5:41 PM Reply   
by the way, i'm in the market for a new board and/or bindings, i'm about 130 pounds, and of course, a beginner, any suggestions?

thanx,
brett
Old                03-28-2001, 7:05 PM Reply   
Start each set riding switch and drop your rear hand.
Old                03-28-2001, 7:26 PM Reply   
riding switch on a skateboard or practicing on an indo board also helps too
Old    back            03-28-2001, 9:58 PM Reply   
It sounds like a similar problem that I had...for your board sliding sideways...

Put more weight on your trail (back) foot. You are putting too much weight on your lead foot and its allowing the board to break loose and slip sideways. Catching that edge is NO fun! Just try placing more weight over your back leg. Like MP said, ride with only your lead hand holding on. This will help a lot when you are first getting a feel for riding switch. Keep trying and it will come to you.
Old                03-29-2001, 4:24 AM Reply   
thanx, what about boards and bindings?
Old    Note: wakeskates may not be the the best board to ride if youre in a really cold water area right n            03-29-2001, 10:28 AM Reply   
something else Brad, you might want to consider putting a bigger fin on the end of your board that you use when riding switch, something like a 2.5 or whatever you can find--do this while you get the feel for riding switchstance, and once you think you have it, go back to a smaller fin.

also, the best tool I've ever used to learn balance and control, along with lipslides and surface slides was a wakeskate, couple of sets on a wakeskate, and all of a sudden I could do lipslides on my wakeboard too. (Note: wakeskates may not be the the best board to ride if youre in a really cold water area right now...)

Lates,
CHRIS
Old                03-29-2001, 12:57 PM Reply   
thanx man!
Old                04-07-2001, 11:18 AM Reply   
A board you may want to consider the O'brien Swindle 133. This a great board ,which retails for $300.00.
Old                04-07-2001, 8:21 PM Reply   
Brett, email me I might have a good board for ya
Ger
Old                04-11-2001, 5:32 AM Reply   
Brett, if Gerry's doesn't work out, I have a great set up, very cheap!
Old                04-15-2001, 3:11 PM Reply   
what's your setup?
Old    same as a Liquid Force Squirt            04-16-2001, 11:43 AM Reply   
I have a 2000 Freemotion Journey 126(same as a Liquid Force Squirt) with size medium 1999 moonboots. The board is very wide and has great pop, plus it spins like a top(I nearly landed the first 360 I ever tried!) The board has no dings, just a little sun fading. The bindings were new when I got them in 2000, and I only used them half a season. The only reason I am selling is because I got a good deal on a trip and some 30/60's. $200 and I will pay for shipping, I can email you a picture, or if anyone else is interested email me also.
Old                04-16-2001, 2:19 PM Reply   
thanks, but i just got new bindings and all; the new belmonts... they're sweet, but i'm still trying to saving up and get one of the new belmont 134's. i haven's tried any 360's yet but maybe i should since i can't ride switch. any pointers?

thanx for the board anyway,
brett
Old                04-16-2001, 3:50 PM Reply   
Hey Brett i have a 2000 134 Belmont that is pretty used but no major damage. id let go real cheap.Its the black and yellow one with the skull on it.Make me an offer at TxWakeboardAssn@aol.com later

Bill
TWA
Old                04-19-2001, 1:24 PM Reply   
guys, i still can't ride switch. i switched the fins and all, but i can't do anything because i keep going losing my balance back-2-front. i end up in the water 20 feet from where i originally started. :-(

brett
Old                04-19-2001, 4:01 PM Reply   
Hey Brett,

From there all there is to do now is practice,Practice,PRACTICE..

Later
BILL
TWA
BA Wakeboards
Old                04-22-2001, 11:04 AM Reply   
OK, I had the same problem, twenty feet then splat. That blows, and it happened to me plenty of times. My suggestion is to start out you're run switch. I don't know why, but for some reason, I found it easier to start switch then to do a surface180 once riding. Just put like all concentration into keeping that weight on your back foot, and keeping the board straight---don't even think about carving until you can ride straight behind the boat. Again, skateboard if you can when you're not riding. Switch is a pain in the ass, but its crucial to learn, especially early.
Old                06-07-2001, 10:19 AM Reply   
Place as much weight on your trailing leg as you can then gently surf the wake. Slowly transition your weight off your trailing leg as you surf the wake and feel the difference on how the board handles. This will tell your brain where the sweet spot is for you to ride switch! I've found that when riding switch I never instictively want to put enough weight on my trailing leg.
Old                06-09-2001, 5:35 PM Reply   
I was just out today trying to ride switch too. It took me two tries to get far but i slowly got it. Then i was feelin coky and attmepted an ollie 180 to go back to normal , but i ended up face planting.
Old                06-10-2001, 5:46 AM Reply   
i know it may sound stupid, but just ride right outside the wake switch, and just try to get the visual that you are riding regular. don't carve, don't move, just ride one or two lengths of the lake getting comfortable with that visual. then start SLOWLY carving in and out without even crossing the wake. when you start feeling a little more comfy do easy wake crossings and then some half cab 180's. the main thing to remember is that is just takes time riding switch to be able to ride switch.

travis
ridethespot.com
Old                06-16-2001, 7:46 PM Reply   
hey,

i just started riding switch too. Start out switch and just ride around. I found that my hips and shoulders were a little out of wack. Think of your normal stance and try duplicating that

it worked for me
Old                06-16-2001, 7:48 PM Reply   
hey,

i just started riding switch too. Start out switch and just ride around. I found that my hips and shoulders were a little out of wack. Think of your normal stance and try duplicating that

it worked for me
Old                06-18-2001, 10:35 AM Reply   
brett,

I tried riding switch last year and face planted. Didn't try again until this year, last weekend. I too fall about 100 feet from where I start. Feels like starting to wakeboard for the first time all over again. I guess I just need to practice.

BTW: Just bought my wife a 2001 Belmont 134, with Hyperlite splits, Nice rig.
Old                06-27-2001, 11:42 AM Reply   
yo here is what i been doing, after everyday i go out and ride switch , even just for a little , and then i got real confident at it. I got up switch and did an ollie 180 to normal , and did a hs 180 and landed it cleanly.
Old    Note that if the water is a little rough, it will be easier.            07-02-2001, 5:28 AM Reply   
Hi.

1.) Find place behind a the wake that is a bit slippery. (Note that if the water is a little rough, it will be easier.) For me (left foot forward) it is to my right just outside the wake.

2.) Let go with left hand and let the board do the work. Don't try to force it.

3. DO IT VERY QUICKLY. LET THE BOARD ROTATE. If you hesitate or try to force the move, you will face plant. The board will rotate by itself if you just let it.

4. Its easier to let the board catch and rotate then to try to slowly turn yourself.

5. This works for me.

6.) You can do it. Good Luck.
Old                07-06-2001, 6:42 PM Reply   
i've been trying to ride switch some more over the past month. i still can't ride switch good, but for the 100 yards or so that i am on the board feel a lot better than they used to. thanx for all of your help and tips.

later,
bb
Old                07-09-2001, 8:57 AM Reply   
Here is something else you can try. My wife is learning to ride switch right now also. She gets up regular once then switch the next time. When she is getting up switch I slow the boat down enough to just keep her on top of the water. This sinks the board a little and gives her better control. Then as she is stable I slowly increase speed until she is at her regular speed. But when she was first getting up switch we would plow the boat for awhile to get her comfortable riding that way. Hope that helps and good luck.
Old                07-09-2001, 9:35 AM Reply   
ok , now i am the switch master! i ride regular , so here is what i did. i cut out really hard toeside and flatten out , letting the rope slacken, then i kick the board around and ride switch. then i do a 180 to regualr again.
i also found out that if you ride switch for awhile then go to regular you ride regualr anlot more comfortabley.
Old                07-12-2001, 9:13 PM Reply   
thanx, but every time i try a surface 180, i catch the edge and land on my face.:(
and i can't do a bunny hop 180 because my weight distrobution sux when i get around to switch.
i've been trying the start off regular-start off switch thing and it's been working a little

thanz,
bb
Old                07-13-2001, 8:26 PM Reply   
I DID IT!!! i can finally ride switch really good for the length of the lake. i'm still trying to get weight distrobution for hard edging, but otherwise fine. i would like to thank everyone for their suggestions and tips. WOO HOO!!!

thanx alot,
bb
Old    my friend grinds the wake            09-04-2001, 10:15 PM Reply   
My favorite way of switching: Do a lipslide or a butterslide or any kind of slide (my friend grinds the wake) and come down switch. Very stylish, and very easy...
Fun, too.

Peace,
Ittai
Old    even one handed            09-07-2001, 5:15 PM Reply   
I am new to wakeboarding, but am hooked bad. I have only had my board for 3 weeks. I am having the same problem trying to ride switched. I've been skateboarding since the 70's, and have no problem riding either way on a skateboard. The last couple weeks all I do is faceplant ...ouch.. on surface 180's. Can pull up easy left foot forward (even one handed), but do not even get close to pulling up right foot forwad. I am going to try Verns advice this weekend, and let go with my right hand (maybe put a little weight on my heels first). Sounds like it may work for me.L8ER, Richard
Old                09-17-2001, 11:19 AM Reply   
Try starting switch every time you get up, and do 1 wake 180's from inside the wake out. The best way to learn to ride switch is to do it,and get your body used to that awkward feeling.Also pay attention to your weight distribution when you ride regularly and do the same thing but SWITCH.
Old                09-25-2001, 5:30 PM Reply   
Finally got to ride switch several times. Each time is feeling more comfortable. Still cannot pull up switch, but have been doing the 180 butterslide to get there. The butterslide 180s look cool on the video my son took of me. Finally landed my 1st full wake-to-wake jump too. Did it twice, took off 5' of rope, and no more landing on top the 2nd wake. Not much left of the season here in Indiana, 3 or 4 weeks left using a wetsuite. I plan to keep practicing switch jumps, switch ollies, and 180 before I try anything else. Tips from here and my video camera really help a big, heavy, and old begginer like me. Love this sport!! Thanks all, L8ER, Richard