Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (dcwillette)      Join Date: Sep 2005       01-23-2010, 3:17 PM Reply   
This post is mainly to vent but feel free to point to out the error in my logic if you feel I'm wrong....

I've been helping my girlfriend look at cars. After weeks of looking, driving, discussing them, etc... I thought she had come to a decision. She walked away from small crossovers like the Santa Fe, RAV4, Tiguan, etc because she said "it's too small". She likes the Toyota Highlander but hasn't found one that she likes. We found a nice, certified 2007 VW Touareg V6 with only 25K miles on it for $26500. After 2 weeks of me arguing with the dealer and coming to a deal she's thinking that she doesn't want it. She doesn't want to spend that much money and is now looking at a certified 2009 VW Tiguan for $22,600 that also has 25K miles (a lot for a 2009).

The Touareg is AWD, has heated, leather seats in the front and rear, dual zone climate controls in the front and rear (4-zones), it's larger too which helps with a car seat, and even drives better. MPG is 16/20.

The Tiguan SE is 4-cyl, FWD, has a better sunroof, also heated leather seats in the front (only), no dual zone climate controls, etc. MPG is 18/24. She drives about 12K miles per year so fuel savings is not that much on 2-3 MPG difference.

My rational for the Touareg is that it has taken more deprecation and will hold resale better over the next 3 years while the 2009 model will continue to depreciate at a higher rate so that initial $4K difference will be minimized. In the meantime, the Touareg is a much nicer vehicle.

Am I missing something?