Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (neilhumble7)      Join Date: Apr 2013       04-07-2013, 4:56 PM Reply   
Hello all, new to this forum and boat ownership and after researching alot i figured i would join a forum and kinda list my pulling setup and exactly what im trying to do to get the most bang for my buck.

I have pretty limited experience wakeboarding, i didnt wakeboard at all last year because my buddy was more interested in sitting on his dock drinking with his frat brothers than fixing his moomba to wakeboard any. The year before i got as far as clearing the wake consistantly one way but not the other, i cant ride switch very well yet. So im still a beginner. But anyway i just bought a 93' sport nautique that has a tower and is in excellent temp. controlled building kept shape so im very excited to do alot of riding here soon in the next month or so.

Basically id like a board and bindings that can fit a couple of different guys that are around my height and weight 5'11 170Ibs. And a good board binding combo that will work good for most of the smaller ladies as well. As i get better im sure ill invest in a good pair of closed toe boots and a board just for myself but im still a noob and just dont want to buy a horrible board that we cant grow with some so suggestions on boards and especially bindings are very welcome as i know they often matter more than the board.

I also need suggestions on tow ropes, as the owner kept all his boards and ropes. I hope i dont step on any toes for asking a question that gets asked constantly but i pretty much broke the bank getting a boat of my own and just want to get the good gear the first time. thnaks everyone
Old     (simplej)      Join Date: Sep 2011       04-07-2013, 5:54 PM Reply   
Okay well lets start with the ropes:
You will need a NON stretch rope that is not like a ski rope to get good progression. They're usually coated say 100% non stretch etc. this will run you around 100 bucks. Make sure you get a long line as you have a nautique which will have a more narrow wake meaning you will want to ride longer as you progress.

Board is very subjective... Everyone likes a different feel almost to the point where asking here is almost irrelavent. My advice would be to hit up EVO (if you don't have a local shop...) and find something cheap that has a continuous rocker line this will be faster and easier to manage than say a ronix one that is slow and hard landing etc, once you know what kind of board feel you like then reviews and advice will come more into play. Just grab open toed bindings to fit alot of people.

Welcome and enjoy boat ownership.
Old     (westsidarider)      Join Date: Feb 2003       04-07-2013, 6:15 PM Reply   
Stop in at you local large board shop. They will have lots of last years or even 2011 and 2010 board and boot packages available at a great price. The thing about buying the year or 2 previous to this year is more often than not the board and boots are the same just with different graphics and boot colors. Beginner package boards are just retired pro models so its not like your getting a bottom of the barrel product. A year or 2 before that board was sitting on top of a podium. Sometimes you can even find a package deal with a decent rope and handle as well. If you don't have a local shop check out buywake.com or just google wake boards for sale. The large online websites will pop up. With this industry as small as it is, the bigger the shop the better prices you will find especially on previous years close out deals
Old     (snork)      Join Date: Jun 2007       04-07-2013, 6:17 PM Reply   
You'll need my 2012 Hyperlite Murray Nova 142 with L-XL system bindings
Old     (hawkeye7708)      Join Date: Feb 2007       04-07-2013, 7:25 PM Reply   
Bindings: Open toe. Some of the mid-level open toe boots will fit a fairly wide range of feet.

Board: Go for something around 140cm-ish. Take a look at some boards online, bounce them off the folks out here. When you're starting out, you can't really do wrong. I would advise you not to shy away from a something because it's a "pro-model". Get a good, solid board you'll like and you (and everybody else) can ride it for a long time.

Always feel free to bounce things off the crew here on WW. You'll get PLENTY of opinions and insight.
Old     (Delt725)      Join Date: Mar 2011       04-07-2013, 10:11 PM Reply   
Boards to Consider: Ronix Vault, Ronix District, Hyperlite Tribute, Hyperlite State

Bindings: Heard good things about the Ronix Divide
Old     (bruizza)      Join Date: May 2009       04-09-2013, 6:51 AM Reply   
The Ronix District is a great board you and your crew can progress on. I am sure multiple sites have it for sale. I was on Trusnow.com yesterday and they have it for $250 or so. Just put wake in the search bar as you can probably tell from the name it is mainly a snowboard site.
Old     (steezyshots)      Join Date: Feb 2008       04-09-2013, 9:12 AM Reply   
I agree with Jason, go to your local boardshop and spark a conversation. Usually there is someone there that knows what they are talking about. It's also a nice way to network with people in your area that share the same stoke on wakeboarding. Good luck, have fun, and no powerturning!