Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (seacamper)      Join Date: Jul 2011       07-08-2011, 8:11 PM Reply   
Hey All.
I am a newbie. After years of part time wakeboarding, I finally bought an inboard (89 Ski Nautique) loaded it up with ballast, and I am on my quest for over the tops. I am currently using a hydroslide matrix 143. I watched the Wakeworld 101 vid on the inside roll and a lot of it makes sense. I am currently only getting the board to touch after about 345 degrees of rotation. I do not think I am really getting any pop (a new term to me) and after watching the vid, I saw some techniques to improve. I think that at my age, I need every advantage I can get and I was wondering if a better board would help. Should I go down to a 140? Should I look for lite weight? Does it matter or is it all technique? Are there any aerodynamic things to change like a tighter vest? (The one I use now is pretty big on me) Is there a board made for flips? Any thoughts you have will be appreciated. PS, "get off my lawn" jokes will be ignored.
Old     (e_rock32)      Join Date: Oct 2009       07-08-2011, 8:53 PM Reply   
143 is the perfect size for you (140-144 cm is good), weight isn't a huge issue and usually means it's a stronger board... Not sure about hydroslide wakeboards. What's is the tail shape like? Squared edges near the tail give a good edge and release point for jumping. A consistent arc on the edge is also good for smooth edge and release. Continuous rocker boards are best for all levels of riding because they have a more consistent edge, stable pop, they are faster, and land softer. You can tell a board is continuous by setting it on the ground and rocking it like a rocking chair. Continuous boards will continue to rock back and forth.

Not sure what is an inside roll. I'm guessing it is a backroll or mexican roll, this link has the best instructions to the backroll http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fgNhCwKLf48

If you can't do the flip on the flat water, just take it to the wake going about 15 to 16 mph doing a one wake jump - just build your edge all the way through the wake... the falls don't hurt at that speed, you'll figure out the rotation and get some air awareness and then when you're comfortable speed it up and edge harder to take it wake to wake.
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       07-09-2011, 8:08 AM Reply   
Do you have a tower or pole on the boat? Considering your weight I would definitely not go below a 140. I'm 5'-8" 155 and ride either a 134 or 140 behind the boat. I've been riding the Motive for years now (I'm 55). You can find them pretty cheap and I doubt that the board will hold you back.

Good Luck!
Old     (seacamper)      Join Date: Jul 2011       07-09-2011, 11:59 AM Reply   
Hey Eric and John,
I did see that video and I am going to practice next week. I do have a tower on the boat. This is the board:
http://www.faceplantwatertoys.com/hy...111d32f1d6235e
And there is a 136 listed here that shows the bottom:
http://forums.wakeboarder.com/viewto...b6d89bbbe6f46b
It is a pretty benign board . If you do not think the board is a factor, I will just keep using it until I figure it out.
Old     (V237TX_Nate)      Join Date: Jun 2011       07-09-2011, 1:42 PM Reply   
When I first started riding last year I picked up a hydroslide board - it was a 143 - from my local sporting goods store for pretty cheap cause I wasn't sure how much I would be in to riding. I took it out twice and then ripped the bindings right off the board on a faceplant, so I returned it to the store. I picked up a Hyperlite 141 that was last years model for half price online, and it is alot eaiser to ride than the hydroslide, plus I haven't broke it yet. From my experience so far I'd say 75% of riding is technique, the other 25% is the boat thats pulling you (I started out behind a jet ski, now I have a v-drive wakeboat... what a difference) the board, and factor in any chop, Im 6'1 180lbs, and I dont have any problems with the shorter lenght. Of course I cannot give you much input on doing flip's cause I'm not quite there yet....
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       07-09-2011, 3:27 PM Reply   
That 89 Nautique should have a great wake with some weight. I landed my first backroll behind the same hull.
Old     (seacamper)      Join Date: Jul 2011       07-09-2011, 8:08 PM Reply   
Hey Nate,
I am really not happy with the hydroslide. Every time I wipe out I come out of the bindings in a painful way and I do not think the bindings will hold up. John, I am going to go with about 1500 pounds in the SN. I have 1300 now with cheap bags and I was able to experiment with the movement of them to invest in some Fly high pro x bags.
I am in the market for a new ski and I think I will go with this one:
http://www.evo.com/wakeboards/cwb-ki..._146_Image.jpg
in a 140. I really ought to weigh 165 to 170 and I feel like the 140 will be about right sized. Can someone give me some input on those boots? Anyone used straight velcro before with no laces?
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       07-10-2011, 6:14 AM Reply   
You'll definitely benefit from a good set of boots. I've been riding the same style board and boots for a few years now, so I'm not up with the newest stuff. It's always best to test boards and boots out before deciding. But if you don't have a shop that rents nearby that could be hard.
Old     (will5150)      Join Date: Oct 2002       07-10-2011, 6:18 AM Reply   
Are you doing wake to wake jumps? How about some spins and grabs? The CWB board you're looking at will ride really loose- 3 stage rocker. You better know hoe to edge through the wake - which is critical to doing backrolls as well, as this board will break loose very easily and feel out of control. I ride an Obrien Natural- a mild 3-stage rocker and it's one of the highest rated boards. you may want to look at something like that. Also how fast do you normally ride? A bigger board will give you a faster ride, higher in the water at lower speeds. I'd go with a 140-144 for your weight. I am 5'10 190 and my 139 is ok, but i'd go bigger if I did it over again.
Old     (seacamper)      Join Date: Jul 2011       07-10-2011, 1:12 PM Reply   
Hey John and Will.
Well I pulled the plug on the CWB Kink 140 with the Vapor boots. My foot is an 8 so I got the small boots so my whole family can use the board (I have 2 sons 8 and 11) That was another reason for the 140, so they could grow into it. Anyhow the back flip is my goal for the summer, and this board is 7.5 lbs and 2 inches shorter than the 144 (which was the next option--and with the 144, I could not get size small boots! I could not turn down the deal at Overtons because they had a 15% coupon code, so I bought 3 Pro X bags and the Kink package for $399. (Which brought the package down to $340ish. It was a pretty good deal and the best I could find. I could have gone with the Faze package for $299 with the Edge boots, and I am still kicking myself, but the reviews of the Vapor boots is what got me.
Tom
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       07-10-2011, 4:19 PM Reply   
Give us a report on how you like it after you get a chance to try it out. When you land the backroll are you digging the nose in or landing on your butt? Digging the nose can be painful.
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       07-10-2011, 6:38 PM Reply   
those bindings will be much better than the ones on that hydro slide (if they were like the ones in the pics)
a good pair of bindings is even more important than board of choice. you could have the best board in the world and if you have terrible boots, you wont be able to take advantage of the board under your feet.

another super important piece of gear is a non-stretch wakeboarding rope. get a rope that says it is made of spectra or dyneema if you don't have one already. the rope is your life line to your boarding experience.
Old     (seacamper)      Join Date: Jul 2011       07-11-2011, 7:09 AM Reply   
Hey John,
I am hitting board then butt. Even though my board hits first, it seems like I am going to need 15 degrees more of rotation to have an angle for the board to bite into to have any hope of boarding out successfully. I hope to try it out next Monday with the new sacks. I'll report back.

Wakerider111,
Thanks for the tip on the rope. I have been using a cheap old ski rope! Yes, the boots in the pic are accurate. These are the new boots:
http://www.evo.com/wakeboard-binding...oots-2011.aspx
Old    LR3w8kbrdr            07-11-2011, 8:15 AM Reply   
As stated earlier...the no-stretch line makes a huge difference
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       07-11-2011, 8:26 AM Reply   
Tom. that's the problem I had learning the backroll. I threw at least 200 before I stuck it. My problem was trying it behind a unweighted Nautique with a small wake. When I got behind the 80's weighed Nautique I landed my first one (3 in a row). Since you say your boat is already weighted (loaded up real good hopefully), that doesn't sound as much your problem. Maybe those new sacks will help out.

It sounds like you need to do one of two things. Either speed up your rotation or get more vertical air. You can speed up your rotation by edging hard away from the boat off the top of the wake. Give the board a good snap on the edge when you hit the wake. I have to do this with my boat because no amount of weight gives me a really good wake size.
Old    LR3w8kbrdr            07-11-2011, 9:27 AM Reply   
In all honesty...its probably the boat! Think you should consider that 89' 2001 to ME lol and that will fix your problems
Old     (seacamper)      Join Date: Jul 2011       07-11-2011, 1:48 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by fly135 View Post
Tom. that's the problem I had learning the backroll. I threw at least 200 before I stuck it. My problem was trying it behind a unweighted Nautique with a small wake. When I got behind the 80's weighed Nautique I landed my first one (3 in a row). Since you say your boat is already weighted (loaded up real good hopefully), that doesn't sound as much your problem. Maybe those new sacks will help out.

It sounds like you need to do one of two things. Either speed up your rotation or get more vertical air. You can speed up your rotation by edging hard away from the boat off the top of the wake. Give the board a good snap on the edge when you hit the wake. I have to do this with my boat because no amount of weight gives me a really good wake size.
Yeah, I was amazed by the video where the guy was actually getting 360 degrees just using the pop in clear water. That is the first thing I will be practicing. I think you are right and I think its a little (or a lot) of both. I really think the wake is right because some of the younger guys were landing it no problem. I also don't seem to have my eyes open

Hey LR3, you might want to wait till I get 1230 lbs of bags permanently installed and then I'll also throw in 2 Pro X 155 lb movable bags as well
Old     (will5150)      Join Date: Oct 2002       07-11-2011, 5:11 PM Reply   
Tom- good to hear you got the deal you wanted. I hope the board works out for you. the backroll is a trick that throws you- you don't throw the trick. It's the old saying "less is more" - and so true. just stay on your heel edge and all the way through the wake, look up over your lead shoulder and think about taking the trick UP not around. Most rolls fail due to early releases off the wake and not enough height to fully rotate and square up. The weight in the boat will help a ton- Big confidence booster. Just relax and let it happen- you;ll be surprised how easy the roll is once you stick a few.
send pics!!!!! Check my profile pic- I land these all the time.