Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through November 07, 2008

Old     (naptownwake)      Join Date: Jul 2007       11-04-2008, 8:05 PM Reply   
Has anyone ridden both?

I'm looking to pick one of these up before next season, and I was wondering if there are any significant differences between the two.
Old     (westsidarider)      Join Date: Feb 2003       11-04-2008, 8:38 PM Reply   
there is not a ton of difference but ronix no longer makes the covenant so when you break it they wont be able to warranty it out for you.
Old     (kickflip_mj)      Join Date: Apr 2007       11-04-2008, 8:49 PM Reply   
my question is why would you go to a wood flex board and not a slingshot.etc??

Jason you ride a Roam full time right?
Old     (bailey)      Join Date: May 2001       11-04-2008, 9:49 PM Reply   
I have ridden both boards. They are fairly similar but the ronix is much narrower. If you have big feet you will certainly drag your binding when you cut. Otherwise they ride really similar. I have a friend who has broken a few of them so warranty may be an issue.
Old     (westsidarider)      Join Date: Feb 2003       11-04-2008, 10:43 PM Reply   
michael- i rode the roam full time for 4 years but this year got off it becase i wanted some fin. i rode the byerly monarch this year and will be riding the byerly assault next year which has flex but not as much as a slingshot
Old     (naptownwake)      Join Date: Jul 2007       11-04-2008, 10:54 PM Reply   
thanks, I'm a size 11.5, and I never thought about width of the board.

sounds like roam would be a good bet.

also, I've never heard of slingshot, checked out their site, and I didn't really see anything similar to a roam.
Old     (skidaddy)      Join Date: May 2008       11-05-2008, 7:08 AM Reply   
I have the ronix & wear size 10. Close to being too narrow. Go with the Roam. Same boards other than the width.

They are a lot of fun to mess around with and practice spins and edging (particularly switch riding). My riding has definitely improved. Don't think many folks use these as their main board - I mostly ride a Hyperlite B-Side.
Old     (wakeboardern1)      Join Date: Aug 2007       11-05-2008, 7:25 AM Reply   
My covenant is definitely too narrow, although, to be fair, whenever I've edged properly, my bindings haven't dragged in the water....
Old     (ponder86)      Join Date: Mar 2008       11-05-2008, 8:53 AM Reply   
I have a Covenant and a Roam and wear size 11 bindings. As long as you have your weight distributed right, when you edge, your feet won't drag on the covenant. But I like the Roam more and can't wait for their new shape to come out b/c it's suppose to be a lot faster.
Old     (n00b)      Join Date: Mar 2006       11-05-2008, 1:50 PM Reply   
I've owned both, broke the Roam on a tumble. There is not a whole lot of difference between them.
The Roam is just $149 on boardersmall, I'd go for that!
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       11-05-2008, 5:45 PM Reply   
It can be hard to see the resemblance of the roam and covenant to Slingshot boards, especially for those that have not been following it.

It could be said that Slingshot boards are a blend of traditional wakeboards AND "rail-boards" (is what i'll call them for the sake of this discussion) such as the two you are comparing.

FLEX
TRADITIONAL BOARDS are more ridged and don't flex much
RAIL-BOARDS have lots of flex, almost a "wet noodle-like flex"
SLINGSHOT (IE "FLEX-BOARDS") have a "rebounding" sort of flex which helps with pop... as well as the additional surface area because of a wider base (not parabolic)

CONSTRUCTION
TRADITIONAL foam cores
RAIL-BOARDS wood core
"FLEX-BOARDS" wood AND foam (closed-cell foam)

In short, flexboards such as slingshot are "ALL-TERRAIN" boards, designed specifically in part to take as much advantages from rail riding AND wake riding and meld them together.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
with that said... there is one board you are missing from your "rail board" line up. ADD also the Obrien R5.

Also, f.y.i. there is other "(rebounding)flex-boards" out there. There is also Company wake (new to '09), and Humanoid wake (also new to '09)... Slingshot is basically the "founder."
also there is the Obrien Local, Liquidforce press, LF flyu series (new to '09) but these all have a little different constructions than the wood-foam described above.

ALSO a note you should not miss is that Obrien believes in their method of flex construction enough to back it with a full warranty EVEN AFTER hitting sliders.

so there it is in a nut shell... a big nut shell ;)
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       11-05-2008, 5:57 PM Reply   
actually, just check this out. it is probably one of the best explanations of slingshot i have seen, and better yet, it is a video! shows the flex in action, the cross section of the cores etc.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s7lwEUQ6j0I

and i might be off by saying the LF FLY series is "flex"... but i am pretty sure it's supposed to be "more flexier"

(Message edited by wakerider111 on November 05, 2008)