Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through April 09, 2008

Old     (jcurtis)      Join Date: Mar 2007       03-30-2008, 6:15 PM Reply   
I have a 98 DHM trailer, carrying a Maristar. It is at Copes getting service and they are telling me, I need all new brakes, it has the drums on one axle. They want to charge me $500 to replace everything. My question is, would I be better off, converting to disc brakes? Also, should I convert to electric disc brakes or keep it hydraulic? What would the cost be? It seems silly to pay $500 to replace a bad system when I can upgrade for an additional few hundred dollars. thanks for your help
Old     (justridin)      Join Date: Oct 2002       03-30-2008, 7:37 PM Reply   
Joe,

I am a dealer for Extreme Engineering Trailers and they install hydraulic (surge) disc brakes on their trailers. The components come from Unique Functional Products http://www.ufpnet.com/ We have had very few problems with the disc brakes versus the old style drums. They work much better and are basically maintenance free. The drum brakes needed to be manually "set up" to keep them working well and the mechanism for that would sieze as has probably happened to yours. If the cost is not much more than fixing the old system, I would suggest the upgrade.
Old     (tanner)      Join Date: Oct 2005       03-30-2008, 7:40 PM Reply   
If it's only a few hundred more then upgrade disc. Might as well just keep the surge brakes unless your in really hilly areas.

The straight electric conversion isn't to expensive, and usually considered a wash in terms of price compared to disc brakes. But the electric brakes are usually only electric drums.

The electric over hydraulic conversion, is outrageously expensive.
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       03-30-2008, 7:50 PM Reply   
On a 98 model trailer, you are probably due for a major overhaul. I would ask exactly what they are planning on replacing for $500. and can you buy and get the disk conversion installed for only a couple hundred more or is that parts only?

There is no big stopping advantage to discs over drum.
Old     (priszkid)      Join Date: Aug 2007       03-31-2008, 6:57 AM Reply   
i just had my whole drum brake system replaced. new master cylinder, hitch, all new plumbing, hubs, brakes, etc, and paid $650- which is half of what this company usually charges. EVERYTHING in my system had to be changed out due to the prior owner not doing any trailer maintenance whatsoever.
Old     (jcurtis)      Join Date: Mar 2007       03-31-2008, 7:27 AM Reply   
thanks for the responses, I am having them fax me a list of what needs to be done and the cost and I am going to compare it then. I will let you know what is being replaced
Old     (olskooltige)      Join Date: Mar 2007       03-31-2008, 1:30 PM Reply   
If you do it yourself, you can swap to disc and save about $250.