Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Video and Photography

Old     (KLPDEPAEPE)      Join Date: Jun 2010       02-07-2013, 2:01 PM Reply   
Hello- I am thinking about buying a GoPro (mostly for fun times at the lake or river) but I am so overwhelmed with options, features, accessories, etc., I am not sure where to start. So, anyone who has one, what would you recommend to get as a "starter kit" set-up. I would need it to be waterproof, have decent memory and quality, and mostly be easy and fun to use. Does this mean the Hero 3? The Wi-fi thing seems pretty cool. Budget is $500 to $600.... Let me know what you guys think. Thanks!
Old     (rcuadro)      Join Date: Nov 2012       02-07-2013, 2:20 PM Reply   
I picked up a hero pro had on Craig's list for $100 and I plan on playing with it and see how I like it. I didn't want to drop about $500 on something I didn't like. The good thing is that any attachment I buy or make will work on a new one if I go that route
Old     (waketowake)      Join Date: Jul 2007       02-07-2013, 3:05 PM Reply   
Go with the white or silver gopro 3, and save your self some bucks. Doesn't sound like you need the black edition. Get a pole and a head mount, and your pretty much ready to go.
Old     (KLPDEPAEPE)      Join Date: Jun 2010       02-07-2013, 3:38 PM Reply   
Ok. Sounds good. I will search CL. Thanks!
Old     (JJ)      Join Date: Feb 2010       02-08-2013, 8:57 AM Reply   
I strongly recommend the Silver or Black Editions. I've owned the Hero (white), Hero2 (Silver) and now own a Black Edition. The quality is clearly better the higher you go in their line up.

HERO (White):

from JJ on Vimeo.

HERO 2 (Silver):

from JJ on Vimeo.

HERO 3 (Black):

from JJ on Vimeo.

Also as far as mounting goes the pole (handle bar) mount is a must!
Old     (MCObray)      Join Date: Mar 2013       03-17-2013, 3:26 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by KLPDEPAEPE View Post
Hello- I am thinking about buying a GoPro (mostly for fun times at the lake or river) but I am so overwhelmed with options, features, accessories, etc., I am not sure where to start. So, anyone who has one, what would you recommend to get as a "starter kit" set-up. I would need it to be waterproof, have decent memory and quality, and mostly be easy and fun to use. Does this mean the Hero 3? The Wi-fi thing seems pretty cool. Budget is $500 to $600.... Let me know what you guys think. Thanks!
GoPro HD Hero 2
2 Rechareable Li-Ion Battery
1 LCD BacPac (comes with multiple housings to fit)
1 Suction Cup Mount
1 Floaty backdoor
32gb/16gb Sandisk SDHC Memory Card

I have much more accessories for my GoPro than what I listed above, but I never ended up using them. I.E. Chesty mount, Skeleton Housing (only use for time lapse), head strap, etc.

Forum classifieds and Craigslist would be the first place I would search. Deals are to be had as people off load the HD Hero 2 for the newer model. I am well pleased with my HD Hero 2 and do not feel the need to bump up the 3. Best of luck on your search.