Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through October 07, 2003

Old     (hyperlitenrd)      Join Date: Jan 2003       09-23-2003, 10:12 PM Reply   
me and my brothers, due to lack of wakeboarding, have been on our trampoline alot, since we cant backflip, we do a backdrop backflip. and my lil brother had the crazy idea to do a backdrop backflip to a raley, it took us a lil while but we got it, u pretty much slow ur rotation down and poke out ur legs behind u. I was wondering if there are ne other people who r making up stuff on the trampoline, or if we r just freaks, haha
Old     (shutupandboard)      Join Date: Aug 2002       09-24-2003, 6:33 AM Reply   
Backdrop backflip? You mean where you do a backflip after bouncing off your back?
TRAMPOLINE YAA! We gotta have something to do when it get's cold. ALOT of people practice on trampolines.
Here's a video of my bro and i from last winter.
http://www.wakepics.com/view_single.php?medid=6583
Old     (rootc)      Join Date: Aug 2002       09-24-2003, 8:31 AM Reply   
Why can't you backflip. Backflips are a lot easier than front flips. A backflip to raley would just be a laid out backflip. You should try a normal raley on the tramp. It is really easy once you get the feel of it. Note: it really sucks when the rope breaks when throwing a raley on the trampoline.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       09-24-2003, 8:46 AM Reply   
I had a rope break twice while practicing Raleys on the tramp! It was ugly. For some reason everyone watching was rolling around on the ground laughing. Good thing I had a safty net or I would be toast!
Old     (thane_dogg)      Join Date: Jun 2002       09-24-2003, 9:03 AM Reply   
I think front flips are a lot easier than back flips. I've got some tramp tricks. I'm working on an orbital 7 on the tramp.
Old    stormrider            09-24-2003, 9:19 AM Reply   
Thanks for posting the video. Kids have been bugging me for a tramp to practice grabs, spins, flips, etc., and now at least I know what they're talking about.
Old     (hyperlitenrd)      Join Date: Jan 2003       09-24-2003, 9:55 AM Reply   
Yea we dont have a net on ours, ours is also a rectangle. Yea backdrop back flip, then u 90 to a raley, ill try and get a video of it. And yea i dont know why u can backflip, its probley lack of guts.
Old     (ryin)      Join Date: May 2002       09-24-2003, 10:25 AM Reply   
im afraid to do a back flip, i fell like im gonna not rotate enough and break my neck, if you guys felt the same how did you overcome this fear. i was wondering what a front flip with a 180 is called, and also a frontflip with a 360 called?
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       09-24-2003, 10:39 AM Reply   
I watched my wife throw back flip after back flip on the trampoline (weeeee). Then I knew I had to try one no matter what. There are SO easy, you'll wonder what you were scared of. The main thing is, NEVER try to change your mind. Commit to it and don't think twice. When you pop, throw your head back like you're trying to look down at the trampoline. Pull your knees to your chest and you'll spot the landing. Your head starts the rotation. Swing your arms back for some momentum on your first couple of attempts.
Old    Josh            09-24-2003, 12:23 PM Reply   
Yep - I can't do them either. It's a mental thing. It's stupid 'cause I couldn't do them before, then one day I just sucked it up and went for it and they were super easy so I started doing Indy Tantrums, Tantrum to blind, Moby etc on the tramp. I didn't jump for a while and now I can't do them again. Funny thing is I can do tantrums fine on a wakeboard!

Tramps are definitely fun though. They really help you with your air awareness and getting used to flipping and doing handle passes at the same time.
Old    Josh            09-24-2003, 12:24 PM Reply   
I guess the sensoring system doesn't like trick names!
Old     (hyperlitenrd)      Join Date: Jan 2003       09-24-2003, 1:04 PM Reply   
i was out trying them a lil while ago, and when i flip i was like rolling over my right shoulder landing 90 degrees to the left on my knees. arrrg
Old     (rootc)      Join Date: Aug 2002       09-24-2003, 1:29 PM Reply   
To learn a backflip you need two spotters. Have your spotters hold hands behind you. Then you throw the filp over their arms. Also, If you don't have rotation they they can help you out by pushing you legs over to speed up rotation. Do this until you can filp without touching their arms. Then have them get off the trampoline and try one on your own. I think the backflip is way easier than a front because you can spot your landing through the entire flip.

Shwa - 'mobyrichard'
Old     (hyperlitenrd)      Join Date: Jan 2003       09-24-2003, 1:34 PM Reply   
cool ill try and get my brothers to do this for me haha.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       09-24-2003, 1:39 PM Reply   
Chris. If you turn your head to one side, your body will follow. Look straight back until you see the trampoline come into vision. Then, open up and land.

Two spotters may be a bit of an overkill, but if that makes you feel comfortable, go for it. You can try one off the back of your boat first too.
Old     (hyperlitenrd)      Join Date: Jan 2003       09-24-2003, 2:33 PM Reply   
oh i will haha. Yea i duno i just cant get around, but mabey with the spotters i will
Old     (cbv)      Join Date: Sep 2002       09-24-2003, 3:58 PM Reply   
Two spotters are good if you are doing this on the ground. Then you work your way to one spotter then none. One spotter should be fine for the trampoline.

Back flips are much easier than front flips for several reasons. You can spot the ground much sooner, if your rotation is short you can use your hands, the landing is a downward motion.

On a front flip you have to go by "feel" to know when you are around enuff to come out. A squat position (like sitting on a stool) helps control the spin and moves the legs outta the way to help spot the ground faster.

Here is a pic of my son doing a huge front flip. You can see why you cannot see your landing and must feel for it. He did not land on his feet even tho he had great height because as you can see he opened up too soon.
Lee flip

On a trampoline the back flip is really easy and if you can get over the 'fear' of going upside down then you will not need a spotter at all and should be able to get it in no time.

If you feel more comfortable with a spotter or two heres how they spot you. You stand, they kneel at your side. They put one hand on your back and the other just above your knee on the back of the thigh.

You have to do the jumping. When you jump, do not go for distance go for height. Jump in a slight angel backwards. As you jump you throw your hands straight up then bring your knees to your hands, not the oppisite. The bringing of your knees to your hands will give you all the rotation you need. If you rotate too slow, just put your hands down and sorta hand spring out of it. If you are using the spotter on a slow rotation (which is always the case the first couple) the hand on your back is for stability, to hold you in the air a sec, and the one behind the knee is for rotation. The spotter is to throw your legs over for the rest of the rotation so you dont land on your head.

Old    xtremebordgurl            09-24-2003, 5:22 PM Reply   
How do you raley on the tramp? Note I'm using an old nylon ski line, do i need to use spectra on the tramp too?
Old     (hyperlitenrd)      Join Date: Jan 2003       09-24-2003, 5:49 PM Reply   
for a raley u jump at angle in to the trampoline that would push u backwards, when u do this let ur legs fly out behind u. I found that i can batwing alot better than i can raley i duno y. the key is to jump back hard loading the line. we just have so rope we found in our grage we used an eye screw to mount it to our roof at the end of the line we have a handle, we now have 2 so we can go doubles, lol
Old     (thane_dogg)      Join Date: Jun 2002       09-24-2003, 8:21 PM Reply   
Chris - I can batwing a lot easier too. I don't get it. I also tried a hoochie and that was a little easier than a regular raley too. I don't get it.
Old     (hyperlitenrd)      Join Date: Jan 2003       09-24-2003, 8:34 PM Reply   
yea, i think with our trampoline it cause im 6ft so if i extend im like a good 3 feet off the trampoline and a good 8ft up, so if i crash, ill really hurt my self.
Old    xtremebordgurl            09-24-2003, 9:19 PM Reply   
do you guys have your board on when you're doing this? How are you doing grabs? Just grabbing your feet or did you make a board out of a skate deck and sneakers?
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       09-25-2003, 7:15 AM Reply   
I used to practice backflips on the trampoline with my board on, but most of the time I go without it. When I grab my spins or rolls I grab a foot. The wakeskate is a blast on the trampoline too.

Old     (hyperlitenrd)      Join Date: Jan 2003       09-25-2003, 9:33 AM Reply   
Yea i have brang my board on there b4, but since we have a rectangle it hard to stay off the springs. Yea get a sk8 deck on there and its a blast. And yes grag your feet, or u can grab where it would be on the board, but thats gimp
Old     (shutupandboard)      Join Date: Aug 2002       09-25-2003, 9:35 AM Reply   
Bess, I made a tramp board. Plywood and tennis shoes. The link to wakepics at the top of this thread has a vid i made showing it.
Old     (shutupandboard)      Join Date: Aug 2002       09-25-2003, 9:38 AM Reply   
Here's a pic from the video.

(Message edited by shutupandboard on September 25, 2003)
Old     (shutupandboard)      Join Date: Aug 2002       09-25-2003, 9:39 AM Reply   
Nother

Old    stormrider            09-25-2003, 9:49 AM Reply   
Are circular tramps better than rectangular? How big, diameter, is just right? Thanks.
Old     (shutupandboard)      Join Date: Aug 2002       09-25-2003, 9:57 AM Reply   
The one i have is just great but i would think a rectangular one would give more room. If you know which way you normally FLY when you don't try to, it would probably give more space to screw up. Mine (the one i use) is 15' i think.
Old     (rootc)      Join Date: Aug 2002       09-25-2003, 10:53 AM Reply   
Rectangle Tramps give a lot more bounce but circle tramps provide more room for error.

I would never wear a board on my feet when jumping. A skate deck or wakeskate is cool just don't attach it to your feet especially if you plan to flip. Never ever use an old rope while throwing tricks on a trampoline. I broke a rope while doing a raley. Luckily it didn't break until I was already in motion to get my feet under myself.
Old     (shutupandboard)      Join Date: Aug 2002       09-25-2003, 11:16 AM Reply   
I've been hurt more without using my board than when i do. I twist my ankles all the time when not using the board. That's just me though.
If your holding onto a rope there's really only need for alot of room one direction (side to side). That's why i say a rectangular tramp would give you more room for error. IMO. The only time i've ever needed more room is doing whirlybirds, and iv'e only needed room side to side.
Old     (hyperlitenrd)      Join Date: Jan 2003       09-25-2003, 4:57 PM Reply   
Ok ive been trying a backflip, my brother got it, his friend did first time, but i still cant arrg. here is what im told im doing, im like rollin over my right shoulder still, like sort of flipping sideways?

heres my gimp movie of me trying a back flip

http://home.comcast.net/~chris.sontag/backflip.wmv
Old     (wake2wake103)      Join Date: Jul 2003       09-25-2003, 5:36 PM Reply   
Have you guys ever heard of any one geting hung when juming on the tramp? Just wornding. Not taht i'm going to stop. I mean there are risks in all sports .
Old     (hyperlitenrd)      Join Date: Jan 2003       09-25-2003, 5:51 PM Reply   
hung? like a noose?
Old     (deepstructure)      Join Date: Jun 2002       09-25-2003, 7:12 PM Reply   
chris - you're just chickening out. like someone said, get a spotter. it makes a big difference. jump up and back and have them help you rotate. you are just lacking confidence in it.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       09-25-2003, 8:25 PM Reply   
Chickening out for sure. You're looking over one shoulder. Look straight back.
Old     (nautiboarder)      Join Date: Mar 2003       09-26-2003, 6:49 PM Reply   
I'm 34, and just last summer was the first time I ever did a flip on a tramp. You just have to say what the f and do it. Thats what I kept doing chris, looking over my sholder, and then I said screw it and tried it like everyone had told me. Just through your head straight back. the first couple of times I landed on my knees and after that I started landing on my feet. It was the greatest feeling.