Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through May 29, 2009

Old     (bjeremi)      Join Date: Mar 2006       04-27-2009, 5:49 PM Reply   
Running a second battery and installing my new stereo stuff as well. Trying to work wiring in the budget. I realized this part wasn't going to be cheap but I don't want to spend more than I need to. One of my batteries is in the back and the other one is going to go in the observers compartment. I'm using a perko. Can I get by with 4 gauge to wire the second battery or do I need to go all the way down to 0/1? The alt that I am running is a 90A or 105A I can't remember which. I was going to have 0/1ga come of the second battery to a distribution block (Nice streetwires one that Mikiski recommended) and 4gauge from the distribution block to the amps. Boils down to can I use the 4 gauge for the second battery or not?
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       04-27-2009, 7:07 PM Reply   
If the 2nd battery is only going to receive the load of the alt, as opposed to being used to start engine, the 4 ga will probably work. What you need to do is google a wire gauge chart and cross the load (the alt output) with the length of the run and see what the rec'd ga is. My chart says 4 ga carrying a 100A load it good for 10Ft
Old     (bjeremi)      Join Date: Mar 2006       04-27-2009, 7:16 PM Reply   
Dang I think run will be longer than 10' but I'll check when as soon as I can measure it again. Thanks for the reply tigemike!
Old     (bjeremi)      Join Date: Mar 2006       04-28-2009, 6:56 PM Reply   
Anybody see a problem with something like this to wire in the Second Battery?

http://order.waytekwire.com/productdetail2/M37/WB0-2/0GA%20BATTERY%20CABLE%20RED/
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       04-28-2009, 7:25 PM Reply   
Nothing at all, except you gotta buy 100ft min.
Old     (bjeremi)      Join Date: Mar 2006       04-28-2009, 7:38 PM Reply   
Damn you beat me to that I just noticed it. This KnuKonceptz stuff doesn't look that bad

http://www.knukonceptz.com/productMaster.cfm?category=KLMX%20Kable

It is CCA though. The wire gauge chart found in the Ebay auction for the same wire seems to suggest it would be acceptable.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&Item=380120256445&Category= 32810&_trkparms=algo%3DLVI%26its%3DI%26otn%3D2
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       04-29-2009, 8:20 AM Reply   
Doesnt' look as pretty , but I've been very happy using welding cable.
Old     (bjeremi)      Join Date: Mar 2006       04-29-2009, 8:52 AM Reply   
I haven't seem to have been able to find this cheap welding cable everyone is talking about.
Old     (bjeremi)      Join Date: Mar 2006       04-29-2009, 9:06 AM Reply   
Allright I called around and about the cheapest I have found is $2.40 a foot for the 1/0 welding cable. While that's a good price I still think the Knu stuff is cheaper and since everyone on here seems to like their stuff I probably just do that.
Old     (bjeremi)      Join Date: Mar 2006       04-29-2009, 3:10 PM Reply   
As far as a secondary battery has anyone used Group 31 batteries. I found a decent deal on some new PACCAR Dual Purpose batteries.
Old     (bjeremi)      Join Date: Mar 2006       05-13-2009, 12:41 PM Reply   
Just thought I would post a follow up. I ended up getting a hold of a welding supply store and at first was disappointed because the prices didn't seem that much better than what I could get the cable online for. After I went down there though they were super excited when I told them the lengths I needed because they had a bunch of scraps that they couldn't use on the trucks. I got the four lengths I needed two 4' to 5' sections and two 15' sections. The longer 1 gauge pieces they only charged me about $1.45/ft and the shorter 1/0 pieces were $1.60/ft. I took the home installed my ends and shrink wrapped. They look all right, the cable seems to be pretty high quality stuff. Highly flexible. I had to grind the ends a little so they would fit into the Streetwires distribution block. Couple pics of the cable and my growing mountain of stuff to put in. Tower speakers are already installed and the EQ is supposed to get here tonight.
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Old     (brucemac)      Join Date: Dec 2005       05-13-2009, 12:45 PM Reply   
where did you get those street wire disti blocks? is that the all-in-one? which fuse type does it take (what's the largest fuse size it will take)?
Old     (bjeremi)      Join Date: Mar 2006       05-13-2009, 1:01 PM Reply   
It's the maxi style one, not exactly like the mikiski recommended. So it's limited to 100 I believe. However it's seems any amp requiring more than 100A fuse it also going to need bigger than 4 gauage wire so this distribution block will no longer work anyway. As it stands I have an extra in and out (only three amps right now). So down the road if I want to add another sub which I am sure I will. I will be slightly limited as to what I can add. Probably just add another KX600.1 and 10" solo. I got the block off of Ebay.
Old     (brucemac)      Join Date: Dec 2005       05-13-2009, 2:32 PM Reply   
cool, thanks. last question, what's the part# off of it?

i think i'm going to try and hunt one down.
Old     (bjeremi)      Join Date: Mar 2006       05-13-2009, 2:35 PM Reply   
CBR44M Mine ran me $44 shipped. It wasn't cheap.
Old     (brucemac)      Join Date: Dec 2005       05-13-2009, 2:50 PM Reply   
thanks, just found the place i'm betting you bought it. yeah, $44 is a little spendy, but like the looks of it and it does what i need. i think these were actually like $80-90 before they were disco'd. right now i have a pair of stingers and i can make it a little cleaner with this one. hey, it's made pretty well right? the set screws aren't soft or anything are they? it's hard to tell from the picture, but do the negative/grounds come out at a right angle to the input like the power ones? is the negative/ground input at the bottom next to the power?

(Message edited by brucemac on May 13, 2009)
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       05-13-2009, 4:47 PM Reply   
That sub box will be a pile of mush by the end of the summer. Better pull the carpet off of it and resin that thing.
Old     (bjeremi)      Join Date: Mar 2006       05-13-2009, 6:03 PM Reply   
Already done. One more question for the stereo gurus. The distribution block will be about two-three feet from the battery so I am thinking I should install a breaker in the 0/1 cable closer to the battery? 250amp do the trick?