Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through September 10, 2007

Old     (cwbx993)      Join Date: Feb 2007       09-06-2007, 5:19 PM Reply   
just a thought how many people on here have got a chance to ride with some of the big names in wakeboarding? itd be sick to have the chance to ride with the best out there.
Old     (wakechic06)      Join Date: Jun 2005       09-06-2007, 6:02 PM Reply   
I've been given instruction by Amber Wing, Barrett Perlman, Cathy Williams, Jeff Weatherall, Brent Starr and the rest of the Northwest Riders staff. Some of THE BEST wakeboarding expirences by far. Learned a ton and improved my riding in only a few hours. Awesome people too, really down to earth and fun to just hang with.
Old     (nj_alex)      Join Date: Aug 2002       09-06-2007, 6:15 PM Reply   
I've been to some cool places and I've been in boats with some pro riders. It has always been really, really cool.
But as cool as it is to run with the big dogs, I actually enjoy hanging, riding and goofing-around with
my regular crew, in our regular old riding spot, more. Personally, I think the best times are had with one's
best friends.
Old     (cwbx993)      Join Date: Feb 2007       09-06-2007, 6:37 PM Reply   
very true
but id still love some lessons from guys who know what theyre doing. (everyone i ride with just started this season so were all just learning the basics and stuff)its fun but theyres like know one to give you advice or correct you on what your doing wrong, but still nothing beats hanginng with friends and family.
Old     (clearlakescott)      Join Date: Apr 2007       09-06-2007, 6:59 PM Reply   
Most of the pros have there own school so they are all only a check away!
Old     (helix_rider)      Join Date: Mar 2003       09-06-2007, 7:08 PM Reply   
Find a local boat dealer that has a wake pro shop. Our dealer has a local pro who does regular clinics and 2 years ago they had Gerry Nunn come and give a clinic. A Nautique dealer in Knoxville has had JD Webb and Shawn Watson the last two years. Of course, its cool to ride with friends, but the 'wow' factor of seeing how smooth the pros are is unbeatable. My session with JD 2 years ago is still by far my best day on the water (although that was the day I landed my first invert, so I'm sure that has something to do with it :-))
Old     (predatorll)      Join Date: Mar 2003       09-06-2007, 7:10 PM Reply   
If you go to OWC on weekdays, you usually get a chance to hang out with some pros. I havent been in a couple years but I've chilled with Parks, Sharpe, Phillip Sovin, and Dallas Friday. All of them were real nice and down to earth, great experience
Old     (cwbx993)      Join Date: Feb 2007       09-06-2007, 7:14 PM Reply   
sweet
man id kill to see soven in person! id be sick to see what he can throw down!
Old     (addicted)      Join Date: Aug 2007       09-06-2007, 7:24 PM Reply   
I got to sit on the boat while Stef Tor gave out some lessons to two of the girls that I ride with regularly (Liquid Force Maven Sessions). Even though I didn't get to take lessons from her, I had such a blast sitting in the front of the boat just hanging out. From what I hear, most of the pros are down to earth and extremely fun to hang out with.

I even recorded some video from the ride: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L53nE7Sd94k
Old     (mcwakerider)      Join Date: Dec 2006       09-06-2007, 7:44 PM Reply   
got to ride with arron rathy.... guy is absolutely ridiculous. goes soooooooo huuuuuuge!!!
Old     (whitie)      Join Date: Jul 2004       09-06-2007, 9:52 PM Reply   
I would say I have been fortunate to kick it with
Tom Foshee, Gabe Lucas, Ryan Doyle, Wes Brisco, Chris Ramirez,Harris@(cbl pk), Gator,Greg Necrassison, and a few more just can't think of them right now.
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       09-07-2007, 12:14 AM Reply   
That is one thing that is very cool about this sport. The top riders are very accessible. You can head out to a local event and be surprised by a seasoned pro just hanging out. I rememeber as a younger kid looking up to the pros as gods and being in awe for their riding. Then I started hanging out with a few and realized they are just as big of dumbasses as the rest of us. They know how small the industry is and are usually stoked to ride/shoot the breeze with the rest of us peons. In February JD was out this way & he came to our Thrift Store Formal party, it was funny as hell.

Hannah, book a week at a camp. Head down to the Wakeboard Camp or Murray's camp. You will ride with some of the best, learn a ton in the process and have a blast.
Old     (erikeven)      Join Date: Jul 2007       09-07-2007, 1:38 AM Reply   
Two years ago @ the wakeboard camp i sat in the back of the boat watching Benny G killin it . it was chill
Old     (fuller313)      Join Date: Oct 2006       09-07-2007, 7:59 AM Reply   
I got to ride with Ricky G on my home lake. It is incredible how high and how much style they have. Its also a plus that he was so down to earth.
Old     (bmartin)      Join Date: Jan 2007       09-07-2007, 8:18 AM Reply   
Pros are very accessible in this sport. Check the the major board brands backyard tours and your local boat / wakeboard proshop. There are all kinds of local clinics which is usually about $100-$200pp for a days instruction or demo days which may be free at a lake near you. Probably not too many more of these local events left this season, but there will be plenty next. It is a memorable experience riding with the best...well maybe not 'riding with' more like riding in the presence of the best.
Old     (solo)      Join Date: Oct 2001       09-07-2007, 8:32 AM Reply   
I've ridden with Joe Umali, does that count? He's a Pro Wakeworlder!
Old     (liquidforcefan)      Join Date: Aug 2007       09-07-2007, 8:25 PM Reply   
Go to ride the spot, I got to ride an chill with darin Shapiro that was soooo awesome he showed me around his house and stuff and you hang out with him a lot
Old     (thestones13)      Join Date: Aug 2007       09-07-2007, 10:47 PM Reply   
I've taken lessons from Gregg Necrason and it was so cool just to sit in his boat with him and pick his brain. It's amazing how nice and accessible wakeboarding pros seem to be.
Old     (wakechic06)      Join Date: Jun 2005       09-07-2007, 10:57 PM Reply   
This is the awesome thing about wakeboarding...getting the oportunity to ride with the biggest names in the industry. How often do you get the chance to pay only $40 bucks to get professional instruction?! Try givin Michael Jordan or Tiger Woods a call to see if they'll help ya out....aint gonna happen! It's just awesome and I wouldn't have it any other way. Though my riding definitely needs some help, I appreciate all the help I've gotten so far.
Old     (bcmach)      Join Date: Apr 2007       09-08-2007, 10:06 AM Reply   
Took a lesson with Dave Briscoe, was pretty awesome. I got a lot of help with tricks and watching him ride was incredible, he always had little tips and pointers while we were riding. The dude is 40 years old and I watched him throw a mobe 5, slurpee and the wrecking ball, I'd definitely do it again.
Old     (26lacefield)      Join Date: Aug 2006       09-08-2007, 11:27 AM Reply   
I've rode with Daniel Watkins, Nick Weinacker, Erik Ruck, and Chris Bishoff. at my parents dealership we bring out some of the Tige riders every year and do a couple days out on the water with our customers. Those guys are probably the coolest guys i've met in the industry. super nice guys.
Old     (knarbar)      Join Date: Nov 2006       09-08-2007, 11:30 AM Reply   
Just got back from winterhaven rode with jeff house, derek grassman, jimmy, bryan hutton, and jd web. Nuthing like seeing them first hand and let me say that no matter who those guys ride with or for they're so chill and down to earth not to mention they killed it. when we got back to the dock we tried catching a baby crock it was hilarious.
Old     (misfits1981)      Join Date: Aug 2007       09-08-2007, 11:31 AM Reply   
I've been riding with Harf before. It was over 5 years ago but still sweet. He Was trying his 900s. That was the new shiz back then. it was cool watching him boot of the double up.

Also had a chance to ride and hang out with Murray. Most down to earth guy ever and knows a ton of Simpsons quotes.
Old     (ezekiel700)      Join Date: Jun 2007       09-09-2007, 5:13 AM Reply   
November 17th you all can get a chance to compete and ride with the Pros! We are have an event called "Pros and Joes". Right now we have the following riders coming out. There will be 9 total.

Byerly
Liberg
Greenwood
Watson
Aaron Reed
Kevin Henshaw to name a few.

More still to be announced. This should be a fun event. Finally something here in south florida.

I copied the event description below, but you can also go to www.sfwake.com to get more info soon. We will start registration in a couple weeks. First come first serve. Only 27 spots available.

The South Florida Wakeboarding Association (SFWA) is excited to announce the "Pros and Joes" wakeboarding/wakeskating event to be held
on November 17, 2007 at Okeeheelee Park located in Palm Beach County at 7715 Forest Hill Blvd, West Palm Beach, FL 33413.

Description of the Wake Event

The event is a unique concept in the world of competitive wakeboarding. As of right now, we have a commitment for participation from ten (9) professional riders (names include Scott Byerly, Keith Lidberg, Aaron Reed, Shane Bonifay, and Shawn Watson) some of which are wakeboarders, some of which are wakeskaters. For each pro rider
there will be two local amateurs allowed into the tournament. So as of right now there will be twenty seven (27) local riders plus ten (9)
professional riders giving a total of thirty six (36) riders. At the beginning of the day (approximately 9:00am) the pro riders will select
two amateur riders at random, this will be the pro riders "team". The teams will compete behind the boats against each other through out the day with a winning team emerging at the end of the day. There will be judges and a tournament MC hosting the event and describing the tricks to the masses. Again, it will give amateur riders the opportunity to do something they may never get another chance to do-ride with the professionals that they look up to in this sport.

Event Overview

The event is designed to give amateur riders in South Florida the opportunity to not only meet pro-level wakeboarders and wakeskaters
but to rider with them as well. It is also a "coming out" event so to speak that will be the first step in making Palm Beach County relevant
in wake related sports. The SFWA is dedicated to this purpose and our intention is to make this a family event that will attract both the hard core wake enthusiast and the casual observer. It will be an all day event starting at 10:00am and lasting until roughly 6:00pm. The SFWA members will man the event with our membership of approximately 100 people.
Old     (ezekiel700)      Join Date: Jun 2007       09-10-2007, 4:48 AM Reply   
I will post again later as I am a little late in the post.
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       09-10-2007, 7:42 AM Reply   
I ride with pro's almost every single time i go riding I guess live the privileged life.