Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through August 29, 2006

Old     (yooper)      Join Date: Jun 2002       08-10-2006, 7:19 AM Reply   
I tried a tantrum last night. It was probably my 4th or 5th lifetime attempt, and I tweaked my MCL pretty good. It is VERY sore today. Of the few times I've tried it, I have sprained a knee twice. My buddy tore his MCL trying a tantrum a couple of years ago. Why is this happening? Is it common? Am I doing something wrong? I think I'm done with that trick unless I figure out something significantly different. I can't be laid up for ski season!
On a more positive note, I was 100% on backrolls last night.
Old     (melanie_g)      Join Date: Jul 2002       08-10-2006, 8:59 AM Reply   
I put a hairline fracture in my knee doing a tantrum
Old     (srh00z)      Join Date: Jun 2003       08-10-2006, 9:08 AM Reply   
My buddy also had hairline fractures of his tibia and fibula after coming up short on tantrums
Old     (bailey)      Join Date: May 2001       08-10-2006, 9:09 AM Reply   
The tantrum is a killer. I wear ankle braces on both ankles and have for years from learning the tantrum. I have also hurt my knee and had a few fall that really hurt my hip. Go for the roll to revert.
Old     (akdoc)      Join Date: Feb 2004       08-10-2006, 9:14 AM Reply   
On my first tantrum try I ended up with a fracture/dislocation (it's called a LisFranc's Fracture) of my Right Foot. I was on crutches for 10 weeks, what fun.
Old     (uppledup17)      Join Date: Sep 2005       08-10-2006, 10:00 AM Reply   
You guys really make me want to run out and try one
Old     (wakeprodigy)      Join Date: Oct 2002       08-10-2006, 10:20 AM Reply   
I always get Tennis Elbow from throwing them.

bailey, what ankle braces do you wear. I'm coming off of a broken ankle and need a good one that will fit under my bindings.
Old     (jonfo)      Join Date: May 2002       08-10-2006, 10:24 AM Reply   
you are probably landing with knees locked if you are getting injured. try taking off with knees bent and keeping them tucked up a bit in the air so you dont land straight legged.
Old     (okwakebdr)      Join Date: Jul 2005       08-10-2006, 10:25 AM Reply   
Yep...tennis elbow...me too. I can't throw more than 1 or 2 of them per set.
Old     (yooper)      Join Date: Jun 2002       08-10-2006, 10:36 AM Reply   
Jon,
Good advice.... I didn't really think about that, but I think you are right, they may be pretty straight legged.
Old     (byrd)      Join Date: Dec 2005       08-10-2006, 10:56 AM Reply   
I'm glad I have never got injured on a Tantrum, it's my best trick....I agree with the post that suggests that until you get it down, "tuck it" instead of the layout. When you get consistant then layout more, that way you wont land with your knees locked.

(Message edited by byrd on August 10, 2006)
Old     (poserondubs)      Join Date: Aug 2004       08-10-2006, 11:00 AM Reply   
tom me too.....when i do alot in one set it happens i hate it..i think im turning weird during the flip..idk..oh and two years ago i tweaked my knee landing off balance..other than that..its a fun trick hah

DRew
Old     (curtisco24)      Join Date: Dec 2005       08-10-2006, 12:11 PM Reply   
I have twisted both ankles repeatedly and tweaked the elbow quiet often.
Old     (jonfo)      Join Date: May 2002       08-10-2006, 12:20 PM Reply   
if you keep your lead arm down close to your body and slightly switch weight to your toeside edge right before the wake you shouldnt get the arm torque. i still get this when i do it wrong, usually because i dont switch edges and cut through the wake which causes too much rope tension.
Old    natter            08-10-2006, 2:19 PM Reply   
Broke me tibia and had a plate and six screws put in my knee coming up short on a tantrum. This happened last year and I was landing them 99% of the time. Just came in a little to slow and didnt get the rotation and landed with my knees bent but most of my weight on my back leg and crushed it inward.
Old    murrayair            08-10-2006, 6:25 PM Reply   
I have been doing tantrums for a few years and have never ever hurt myself in any way (besides the usual bumps and bruises from the crashes). Kind of suprising to hear of all the serious injuries.
Old     (yosquire)      Join Date: Jun 2005       08-10-2006, 7:21 PM Reply   
I'm hobbling around on a gimp knee from a Tantrum 2 weeks ago. I "sprained my LCL" - says the doc (Which is the ligament on the outside of the knee.) Did it once about 3 years back on a Tantrum too.

I learned my tantrum back in the day (1999) on crappy equipment and a crappy wake. I've numerously sprained/tore both my ankle and knee from the tantrum. My ankle holds together better now because binding technology is so much greater these days.

Last week I finally broke down and got a cast for having a Carbon Fiber Knee brace made. $1200 - insurance covered.
Old     (ride_cwb)      Join Date: Aug 2006       08-13-2006, 5:45 PM Reply   
im trying to land one and i havnt been injured at all i guess im just lucky but i have never heard of a tantrum injury acualy i hear more about 360 injuries ecpecialy with knees wierd man.
Old     (liquidmx)      Join Date: Jun 2005       08-13-2006, 7:36 PM Reply   
I have been doing tanny's for years as well. I could see people getting hurt from coming up short; this happened to me on a whirly about 2 weeks ago. I under-rotated the flip and sprained my back (right) ankle. I could feel the force running up my leg upon initial impact. I would say to stay very soft on the landings until you get the tripping right. I would think that most of the injuries are from people hanging onto the handle and trying to "ride them out" while landing on their toes under-rotated. IMHO.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       08-14-2006, 10:06 AM Reply   
my bro is still recovering from breaking all five bones on the top his foot from coming up a bit short, 1 in/1 out.
Old     (bailey)      Join Date: May 2001       08-14-2006, 10:28 AM Reply   
The best braces I have found are the true fit lace up braces. I can't find them around anymore but you can still get them on the internet. Right now I am wearing something called Mcdevit (?) lace up braces. They are not quite as good but they last much longer. They key is to find ones that aren't too bulky so they will fit under your binding. It will make your bindings a pain in the butt even if they are easy to get into now.
I wouldn't be looking to do the tantrum with bent knees. You are much more likely to miss or absorb the pop off the top of the wake and that is where you get into trouble. You could suck your knees up when you are coming down for the landing. I'm telling you are are some much easier and less painful tricks to learn than the tantrum.
Old     (wake_boarder49)      Join Date: Jun 2004       08-14-2006, 1:15 PM Reply   
Ive only tried 3 cause I was getting toward the end of my set so I thought I would try some. I kinda have the trip but im positive im throwing it too early. I'm getting zero air but im getting the rotation.
Old     (curtisco24)      Join Date: Dec 2005       08-15-2006, 6:32 AM Reply   
Had a friend blow his knee last week on a tantrum.