Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through March 15, 2005

Old     (kraig)      Join Date: Dec 2002       12-19-2004, 3:51 PM Reply   
This is a topic I've never seen on WW, not to say it hasn't ever been on here. Where do you store your baby? I was curious where people store their boats and their setups. Here are some pics of our setup. It's what we call the "YardHouse." A custom built garage we built 3 years ago. It's 5 minutes from the dock of our home lake so towing is at a minumum. The back wall is called the "Wall of Shame" It has a few items of fame on it too! We outfitted the Yardhouse with a fridge for our beverages of choice, and of course to store ice, board racks on the wall, a loft that allows easy storage from in the boat for loading and unloading and a bar to hang up all the wet jackets, rash guards and wetsuits. It's a well practiced routine when it comes to prepping the boat and putting her away. It all couldn't happen without a dedicated Crew!!

The YardHouse

(Message edited by Kraig on December 19, 2004)
Old     (kraig)      Join Date: Dec 2002       12-19-2004, 3:58 PM Reply   

The Wall of Shame
Tsunami in her Crib

Let's see and hear about everyone else's setups.
Old     (zacky)      Join Date: Apr 2003       12-19-2004, 4:39 PM Reply   
Man, that's nice. I'd post mine, but unfortunately a boat with a cover on it sitting on the side of the house just doesn't have the same "wow" factor...
Old    mcculloughrg            12-19-2004, 4:40 PM Reply   
Hey Kraig nice setup. How do you keep your floor so clean?
Old     (kraig)      Join Date: Dec 2002       12-19-2004, 4:51 PM Reply   
Rich- Good question! You call up of of your crew, put a mop in their hands and watch them work! lol!
Old     (tcluv85)      Join Date: Jan 2004       12-19-2004, 5:26 PM Reply   
Kraig - Looks like the only thing missing is a drain. I don't have any pictures, but my friends have a sweet three car (two car plus boat) garage and they put a drain in the back, so when the boat goes in, they take the plugs out and crank up the front a little bit and let everything drains out. Of course he was an engineer and thought of all the little details. I am sure I don't know all the details. Another thing I know about is he has a power connection hanging down from the ceiling so he can drop a light to keep the engine warm in the winter.

If I get a chance, I will take some pictures.

Thanks for starting this thread...I hope we get some cool pictures posted.
Old     (kraig)      Join Date: Dec 2002       12-19-2004, 8:41 PM Reply   
You can't see it in the pics, but near the center light which lines up with the wrap around open area of the boat there is an outlet on the ceiling to plug in tools when doing work inside the boat and it comes in really handy for plugging in the vaccum to vaccum the boat out. The plug is wired up on a switch. The original idea for the plug was for a fan, which we are still going to do, to dry the boat out. The switch will turn the fan on and off. Something we did the last two seasons. We just took out the other fan last offseason when we did some major structural changes to the YardHouse to accept the new bigger boat. You can see my custom black steel brackets on the right side due to I had to take out some crossmembers. So, a fan on the ceiling blowing on the boat to dry it out is another idea we have used the past few years.

(Message edited by Kraig on December 19, 2004)
Old    whitechocolate            12-20-2004, 8:30 AM Reply   
This is where my boat chill's. In my insulated garage. Its a tight fit, but she's happy here. Warm and dry and well lit. I had to remove my washer and dryer and relocate them and get a wall mounted water heater so she could slide in. I have a folding toung. I remove the swim deck each time and hang it on the wall. I to have a outlet directley overhead where the vacume and battery charger hang/plug in I have over head storage where all the boards and equipment go. IMO having your boat inside and close to you so you can work on it or clean it is the only way to go. I will spill a little beer for our friends out there that have to have there boats coverd in a cold wet driveway or lonley storage lot. You know your boat hates you!

Old     (ccraftskierfan)      Join Date: Mar 2004       12-20-2004, 10:59 AM Reply   
Kraig

I like your set-up, but it looks as though you may have some structural problems down the road. It appaars that this is half of a structure in which the peak (or ridge) runs from front to back. If this is a shed roof connected to another structure, ignore the rest of this post.

By cutting out the ceiling joist(s) you have weakened the structure to some degree. In time the ridge will begin to sag and the outer walls will bow out in the center. You may want to consider installing a support beam under the existing ridge or support column up to the center of it.
Old     (wake_pop)      Join Date: Jul 2004       12-20-2004, 3:15 PM Reply   
Nice setup Kraig. Here's what we use in the summertime. Zip the front panel on and we're set. It ain't pretty but it keeps the sun off it and it's easy to put up and take down. We found a nice indoor storage spot around Ft Collins for the winter.
summer garage
Old    mcculloughrg            12-20-2004, 4:34 PM Reply   
Actually there is a support beam in the shed, because of the boat and the lighting you cant see it in these pics.
John, where do you ride? Horsetooth?
Old     (kraig)      Join Date: Dec 2002       12-20-2004, 5:00 PM Reply   
I hate winter- I hate winter too!!! Unfortunately I had to do some significant structural changes to the YardHouse this past January and February to accept the new purchase. The garage was custom built for a ski boat I bought in 2002, with some extra room. The problem was the height for the legs of the folded down tower. The garage is actually on 4 foot deep casons, nine of them. Each cason has a 4-6 post bolted to it. I had to take out one cross member, still one existing. To retain the strength I had steel brackets made up, which you can see in the pics to bolt to the roof rafter to keep the strength. The roof rafters are 2-8's and the post is a 4-6, I used brackets on the up side as well as the down side. I also supplemented more brackets at the doors. She should hold for the time I need her too. If you have info on this subject I don't, I'd still love to hear more input.

Grant- Moving mechanical systems in the house, wow, you did go the distance!! I use the break away tongue too. Fortunately I don't have to remove the swim platform. But the day may come when I decide to go with a 24V at which point I will only have about 6 inches to spare without removing the platform, so removal would definately be necessary. Nice to see your setup Grant.

(Message edited by Kraig on December 20, 2004)
Old     (socalwakepunk)      Join Date: Dec 2002       12-20-2004, 5:10 PM Reply   
O.K....Da Garage!

Da Gear!

Da Cart!

Old    whitechocolate            12-20-2004, 5:17 PM Reply   
Nice Jeff: does or can the cart pull the boat?
Old     (socalwakepunk)      Join Date: Dec 2002       12-20-2004, 5:26 PM Reply   
Not sure. I've heard that it's possible, the motor will pull it, but hafta get airbags for the rear suspension, to hold the tongue weight.
Old     (ccraftskierfan)      Join Date: Mar 2004       12-20-2004, 5:30 PM Reply   
Kraig

I am a carpenter since the early 80's, and that is what prompted my response. I own a Wakesetter Malibu which is safe and sound, nice and warm(temps here now 5 degrees) in my garage. My ceiling is 11' high so I don't have a headroom problem.
The problem with removing a ceiling joist is best explained by picturing your roof's cross-section as a large triangle. If you cut out the bottom side of the triangle (which is in tension) there are weight conditions (especially in snow country) that will tend to flatten the other 2 sides downward and outward. This is easily spotted in old farm buildings and houses with a sway-back ridge. The exterior walls will also bow out at the top as a result of the ridge distorting. This does take time to happen, and in the worst case structural failure can occur.
This can be rectified by installing a support column (with a solid concrete footer) to support the ridge in the center. If this is not practical a support beam made from wood, steel or both can be installed under the existing ridge board and supported under both ends down to concrete footers. Hope this helps. Feel free to email me with any questions. Bordshuflr@aol.com

(Message edited by ccraftskierfan on December 20, 2004)
Old    74skier            12-20-2004, 5:42 PM Reply   
2/3 of the fleet stays here

Old    walt            12-20-2004, 6:29 PM Reply   
Jeff, If you ever want to sell Da Cart let me know. Sweet set up's guys !
Old     (buzz_grande)      Join Date: Mar 2004       12-20-2004, 7:21 PM Reply   
Dave (74skier)

Man, you're killing me That place looks cool! I gotta get out of So Cal. Love the area, just got to go to someplace smaller! I have served my time.
Old     (socalwakepunk)      Join Date: Dec 2002       12-20-2004, 7:26 PM Reply   
Ditto, what Buzz said! Only I don't do well in the cold weather. Will hafta be someplace in the South...
Old     (bazel)      Join Date: Oct 2001       12-20-2004, 7:45 PM Reply   
Dave,

Where is that at?

I see you live in New Berlin, I just moved to Muskego last March.
Old     (phaeton)      Join Date: Feb 2002       12-20-2004, 8:25 PM Reply   
Mine started out like John Maddens. After a few hours with the welder and some pipe it grew into this.

BTW nice racks Kraig

Old     (wake_pop)      Join Date: Jul 2004       12-20-2004, 9:15 PM Reply   
Rich: We're on Timnath Res, one of the private lakes around Ft Collins. Since we just lease our spot I can't build anything permanent. Trust me, I'd like to build a little nicer setup but lake leases are very fickle.
Nice setup Phaeton. Somehow I doubt that was a canvas shelter like mine.
Old     (phaeton)      Join Date: Feb 2002       12-21-2004, 2:49 AM Reply   
Nope John it started out as a Costco special just like yours. I lengthened it five feet. Widened it two feet and raised it three feet. Covered it with metal siding and added a door and three windows. I did all the work myself. Total cost with concrete under $2500.
Old     (kraig)      Join Date: Dec 2002       12-21-2004, 7:05 AM Reply   
Phaeton- I take it the red line on the concrete is a guide for your tires on the driver side to make sure the boat is lined up properly? Good idea since being off a foot in that setup could cause a problem. I live where you mounted the vac. Does it discharge the exhaust outside to limit the amount of dust kicked up? (And if not, there's the winter project! lol!) Nice placement on the lights too.

Dave- Looks like you need a wakeboard boat in that arsenal. When do I move in?!? That right garaga would be just perfect! Awesome Awesome setup!

(Message edited by Kraig on December 21, 2004)
Old    swass            12-21-2004, 7:16 AM Reply   
Old     (phaeton)      Join Date: Feb 2002       12-21-2004, 7:20 AM Reply   
Kraig since that pic I have carpeted the whole shop. I know the boat is spoiled. You are correct about the red line. I have a wheel chaulk secured to the ground. I just back up until the boat stops. Since the vacum is only used for the boat there are no exhaust issues. Good idea though. It is hard to see but there is also a furnace and a ceiling fan to help dry out the boat. I built the structure for the old boat which was a lot narrower. This one fits it's just tight.
Old     (kraig)      Join Date: Dec 2002       12-21-2004, 7:42 AM Reply   
Hey Swass- The cart in your pic just doesn't have the BLING BLING that Jeff's does! LOL!!
Old    swass            12-21-2004, 8:34 AM Reply   
Man, you just don't know classic 909 when you see it.
Old     (phat_in_cincy)      Join Date: May 2003       12-21-2004, 8:51 AM Reply   
Here's the garage with a house attached that we just built. 8' tall doors. Almost 25' deep. Fully insulated. Sorry, no completed photos with boat in it yet. Too new!
It was funny at the start when my wife and I told them "if you can't build this garage, we aren't building a house with you." Priorities!
X10 home
Old     (greatdane)      Join Date: Feb 2001       12-21-2004, 9:45 AM Reply   
nice house! CA sucks for houses unless you spend 2 to 4 million.
Old     (colorider)      Join Date: Jun 2001       12-21-2004, 9:56 AM Reply   
Garage is a bit unorganized at the moment, But I am working on it.
Old     (phat_in_cincy)      Join Date: May 2003       12-21-2004, 10:47 AM Reply   
OK. Ran home at lunch and snapped my first pic w/the boat in the garage. Wish I would have put that floor drain in.

GD...if you're referring to my pic...thanks! Houses are a little more reasonable in the mid-west, but there are other things to contend with.
Old     (colorider)      Join Date: Jun 2001       12-21-2004, 11:06 AM Reply   
That is a killer garage,, and I think floor drains are not legal in a garage unless you have a grease trap installed too. So don't beat yourself up too hard. It could have been really expensive if I am correct about the grease/oil trap.
Old     (michale)      Join Date: May 2004       12-21-2004, 12:17 PM Reply   
Here is mine. Im still working on it.12'6" x 40' x 13' tall.No more lowering down the tower to put it in the garage.

Old    74skier            12-21-2004, 5:14 PM Reply   
The boat house is in Three Lakes, WI. My grandpa built it back in the late 50's when the DNR let you build on the water. All steel and poured concrete so it isn't going anywhere for a while. I apologize for the lack of wakeboarding equipment......and the tube, we only have the tube for all the young nieces and nephews and limit it to the Sport Nautique (my rule). I'm not much of a wakeboarder but my love of boats brings me to the site, also I live in the show ski capital of the world and I can't limit myself to one discipline.
Old     (wiltok)      Join Date: Feb 2003       12-21-2004, 5:45 PM Reply   
The best kind of crib - right on the water for quick and easy access...

Old    hk_usp_45            12-21-2004, 6:23 PM Reply   

Old     (wakehound)      Join Date: Oct 2003       12-22-2004, 8:59 AM Reply   

Old     (wakeme884)      Join Date: Jul 2004       12-22-2004, 9:23 AM Reply   
Michale, what did your garage run to put it together? I assume you assembled it yourself. Thats exactly what Im looking for, but shorter. Also do you have the name,phone #, web site,?? for the place where you got it? any info would help. thanks...paul
Old     (air_dooley)      Join Date: Dec 2004       12-22-2004, 10:14 AM Reply   
Had to take the tower off to clear the door but was able to attach it to the celing after everything was in place. Fits with enough room for another??
boat in the crib
Old     (tyler_o)      Join Date: Nov 2004       12-22-2004, 10:42 AM Reply   
Uh oh, Just found my new favorite thread....

Please note photos are of old boat (new SV211 on the way). Also note power and air hose in ceiling and before you ask, yes I am anal retentive....
Garage1
Garage2
Garage3
Old     (michale)      Join Date: May 2004       12-22-2004, 11:02 AM Reply   
paul (wakeme884) I bought 4 of the 20'x 8'6" tall kits from Home Depot and just threw away the assembly instructions.The only welding required was to make the doors.$2800.00 total.I know I could have built it out of lumber for that but its just temporary.The real garage is coming soon.I just need to cut down a few oak trees and bring in about a thousand yards of fill to level the pad where the new one goes........m
Old    caval            12-24-2004, 11:32 AM Reply   
All packed up for the winter. Tige 20V, Pontoon, Fishing boat, and a really old WaveRunner. Gotta clean it up so it looks better.
Old     (wakeme884)      Join Date: Jul 2004       12-25-2004, 3:06 PM Reply   
the weathers starting to get to it,but it beats having the boat in the driveway out in the open. next project will be a completely enclosed alum shed..
Old     (seattle)      Join Date: Mar 2002       12-27-2004, 6:19 AM Reply   
Saw it when we were looking for a house, and I was sold. I walk out my back door and step on my boat. I plan on putting a deck/awning over it this summer.

cover

cover
Old     (millerda31)      Join Date: Dec 2004       12-31-2004, 12:38 PM Reply   
Here are a few pics of my boat's crib. Built over the summer last year, (2004). 40' x 30' x 12' eaves. Fully auto overhead door. Haven't finished the inside yet.
In Process
In Process

Old     (millerda31)      Join Date: Dec 2004       12-31-2004, 12:42 PM Reply   
Continued...

Flor in
Almost done
Old     (smokedog2)      Join Date: Dec 2004       12-31-2004, 1:47 PM Reply   
If this works, barn was bought last month and boat was bought yesterday.

inside corner
outside
Old     (oldcentury76)      Join Date: Dec 2004       01-05-2005, 11:56 AM Reply   
mine....

Old     (sordave)      Join Date: May 2002       01-05-2005, 1:03 PM Reply   
You can never have enough garage space. Gotta have 9' doors (I still have to put my tower down) and 28' deep.

Old     (actiondcpd)      Join Date: Apr 2003       01-05-2005, 1:11 PM Reply   
Nice dave... Tyler you garage is cleaner than my livingroom!!! Sweet setup.
Old    plane_doc            01-05-2005, 5:00 PM Reply   

Old    lsupcar            01-05-2005, 5:53 PM Reply   
Don, how tall are your doors. Nice boat and garage. Bill Z
Old    plane_doc            01-05-2005, 6:46 PM Reply   
Bill, Thanks for the comments. The boat garage door height opening is 12' and the car is 8'
Don

(Message edited by plane doc on January 05, 2005)
Old    howie            01-05-2005, 8:21 PM Reply   
I thought I was going to buy a boat first but this thread makes me think (Build it and it will come) you guys have great cribs and great ideas
Old     (john_d)      Join Date: Apr 2003       01-08-2005, 9:59 AM Reply   
Before Modification Boat Does Not Fit

After Modification Boat Fits Perfectly

Old     (schmo)      Join Date: Oct 2003       01-08-2005, 10:43 AM Reply   
Well here are a couple pics. One of the summer crib on my dock in our private community marina and another one of the winter crib in our soon to be completed house. The boat garage has a separated entrance but is connected inside to the other 2 car garage by a 6' wide passage. The boat garage is 13'x 25'4" with an 10x8 door.

Summer crib

Soon to be Winter Crib
Old    fun9c1            01-08-2005, 6:21 PM Reply   
Man you guys are giving me some ideas! I'm really enjoying these pics- some of you guys are completely anal which I envy like crazy. I'm not that way, but I wish I was and respect the hell out of anyone that can have a garage with no clutter. After seeing all your pix, I just had a discussion with my wife about a new house with a bigger garage and driveway.

Mine is only in the garage over the winter because it's a huge time consuming (about 5 hours) PITA job to put it in the garage. But just so you know I DO love my boat, I knocked a wall down making the breezeway part of the garage (behind the boat) because the boat/trailer was about 3" longer than the garage. I also cut doors into the back of the garage (front of the boat) in order to get the boat in. It's a two car garage, but there is a sunroom in front of one side, and the front garage door is only 7' wide with no room for widening.

I am thankful, though, to have a woodstove in there so I can work on it over the winter if I want in a 70* garage like now, when it's 20* out and snowing like a bastid.
front of garage
back of garage
Old     (deltaboarder)      Join Date: Jan 2005       01-09-2005, 1:00 PM Reply   
Here is a pic of my boat's home. I am looking into getting a canopy over the middle slip if anyone has any inexpensive recommendations that will hold up well with the wind.
sangerdocked
Old     (san_man)      Join Date: Mar 2004       01-11-2005, 9:39 PM Reply   

On the lake!
Old     (mango)      Join Date: Mar 2004       01-12-2005, 11:09 AM Reply   
jeff, im coming over your house to ride in your buggy. that's awesome how you matched the colors to your boat.

-Sick looking x-star Don
-Nice Woody Luke, lol
-nice house JD
Old     (02wakesettervlx)      Join Date: Jun 2001       01-12-2005, 4:00 PM Reply   
Here's our boat's house. I call it the toy box. 1,200 square feet of garage attached to the house.

Old     (actiondcpd)      Join Date: Apr 2003       01-12-2005, 5:00 PM Reply   
Shawn... Nice place!
Old     (02wakesettervlx)      Join Date: Jun 2001       01-12-2005, 9:11 PM Reply   
Thanks, I GC'd it myself. Seven months of work, work, work. I forgot to add the best part. The tournament lake that it sits on.
Old     (doobie)      Join Date: Jul 2004       01-16-2005, 1:22 PM Reply   
My boats future home.Lake Jimmerson Indiana.No heat yet so the pole barn is empty for now.
Old     (ldr)      Join Date: Nov 2002       01-28-2005, 5:50 PM Reply   
Here is the garage in stockton. My parents added the garage onto the side of the house. As you can see they also built a great room over the garage. The set up is awesome. just around back there is a spa and sunkin trampoline for practice and relaxation,and everyone has a space for their board on the rack.

Old     (ldr)      Join Date: Nov 2002       01-28-2005, 5:55 PM Reply   
from the street, and the racks. It's 30'deep and 14' wide
racks and garage
Old     (tyler_o)      Join Date: Nov 2004       01-28-2005, 8:17 PM Reply   
ldr,

Can you post a pic of your suken tramp? I've got a tramp and was curious to see what people use to hold back the earth and line the ground with.

BTW- Sweet boat crib
Old     (kevin_bird)      Join Date: Dec 2002       01-29-2005, 8:54 AM Reply   
Hey ldr is my brother i will get a pic of it up but it is just a hole we dug out with a bobcat and then we cinderr blocked up arouind the trampoline and filled in the blocks with cement were are now going to dcap the top of the cinder blocks with teh same type of stuff they use to do the side of pools with so it has a nice clean lip.
Old     (midwesty)      Join Date: Aug 2003       01-29-2005, 7:44 PM Reply   
damn..some fools with some money but props to ya
Old    r3612            01-29-2005, 8:20 PM Reply   
Shawn,,,

Glad to see the house is up......Missed ya last summer on the river.. Got another new ride...Same company though.

Hope all is going well and look forward to seeing you sometyime in the summer

Kris
Old     (xstar_mike)      Join Date: Aug 2003       01-30-2005, 9:37 PM Reply   
Great pics and lots of nice board racks. Where did you all buy your wall mount board racks in your gararge? I am looking for something for my garage. Thanks (sorry for the slight thread hijack)
Old     (ladythump)      Join Date: Jul 2004       01-31-2005, 7:34 AM Reply