Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (wakeboardad)      Join Date: Apr 2006       09-23-2007, 7:29 PM Reply   
OK... I'm jealous of my friend’s free riding (no rope). Its time I get into the act as well. I’m big 5'10" 208lbs. I’m riding a Hyperlite Broadcast 5'6". I grew up surfing but can see to find the sweet spot behind my boat. Im sure its not the wake (07 MC X-15) as many other on my boat don’t have any trouble.

Any suggestions on boards?
Thanks<
MarkUpload
Old     (rio_sanger)      Join Date: Apr 2007       09-23-2007, 7:49 PM Reply   
From your picture it looks like you need to shorten the line, that way you're already closer to the "sweet" spot.
We tie to the pylon, not the tower, I've seen it done both ways, but all the newbies behind our boat have freeboarded easily getting up from the pylon.
Old     (dukeno1)      Join Date: May 2006       09-23-2007, 7:51 PM Reply   
Inland surfer Blue! When I was having trouble last year the blue was the answer for me. I was able to throw the rope in immediately with that board after struggling with some others. A lot of it is technique which will improve with practice but until then the blue makes it easy fa-sheezy! It is a real floaty board but still very fast and fun to ride. By the way, I am 6ft and 210.

Good luck!
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       09-23-2007, 8:37 PM Reply   
You should be able to do it on the Broadcast 5.6. I run from 210 to 225 and have no trouble riding the 5.6. Maybe a little more ballast. The IS Blue is an excellent suggestion. That board is very fast and is an all round good board, much faster than the Broadcast.
Old     (makai_surfer)      Join Date: Jun 2007       09-23-2007, 10:30 PM Reply   
Hey Mark,

First off hang in there and let go of the frustration, that will only make it harder to get it. Its very similar to riding a bike...remember back when...? Once you get the feeling you can surf any wake or ride any board!

It looks like you are a lil far back on the wake so pull yourself closer, but only inch by inch till you "feel" the wake driving you. If you start high on the wake and then ride down (heel side) you should feel the drive. Just dont get too far away from the wake so you can stay in the area of the "spot" Work up on down, right to left with the rope in hand and after a little time you will "feel" the drive and the rope will go slack.

Once you get it, you will go "Ahhh Haaaa, I get it now..." So relax, smile, and enjoy the process. Next you will be asking, how to I spin & get air. So be patient and just work the wake with the board till you "feel" it.

As far as the board goes, if you can find a Blue Lake by Inland Surfer grab it! They are hard to come by as there new '08 line has not come out yet. I really like Matt at www.lakeeffectsupply.com Call him 414-217-6725, and he will be a great support to you. He carries Inland Surfer, and many others that may help you progress.

Here are 2 pics that show the wake pushing while holding the rope:

Upload
Upload

Best wishes,

Jason
Old     (makai_surfer)      Join Date: Jun 2007       09-23-2007, 10:37 PM Reply   
After looking at your pic again...One more thing!

You are leaning way too far back. You have to change your wakeboarding stance to a more forward Surf stance. Balance should be center to front. Think of your back foot as the "Brake Pedal" and your front foot as the "Gas Pedal."

With weight on your front foot, rotate your left hip & butt in towards the wake!!! This will be the piece that helps get you driving down the wake.

I hope this helps... Let me know how it goes for you.
Old     (valsurfer)      Join Date: May 2006       09-24-2007, 9:09 PM Reply   
Ya it looks like u need to be closer to the boat here is a old photo of me 3 yr ago on a Hyperlite Broadcast 5'6".And i # 235 i am now riding the hell out of a 4'11 Ja Mako Shred Stixx every one on the boat kept saying ride this board and i would say its to small cause I rode a 5'6 Shred Stixx it may take u a long time to fine the right board it did me good luck
Upload
Old     (valsurfer)      Join Date: May 2006       09-24-2007, 9:27 PM Reply   
Also it takes some time to set up the boat to get a big wave u may need to weight your boat more or go slower or both we go about 11'5 or so it looks like in photo u r going to fast slow down and the wave will get bigger hope this helps.???
Old     (tonyv420)      Join Date: Jul 2007       09-25-2007, 12:53 PM Reply   
You are to far back. I am 185 lbs. and can ride a 4'6" CWB. Add more weight also. It takes a fair amount of times going out in order to dial in the wave you prefer.(shifting the wieght around).
Old     (nanci)      Join Date: Jun 2007       10-20-2007, 5:57 PM Reply   
build your wake so the peaks up close to the back of the boat and the power zone is easy to find /easier to ride... expand and extend your range from that base... the blue room is a good suggestion, but you should be able to mix it up once you establish a foundation. be alert to vertical motion, particularly upweighting. www.blueturns.com