Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Video and Photography

Old     (ryanw209)      Join Date: Jan 2010       03-15-2011, 4:49 PM Reply   
Just looking for any advice or pros and cons. I don't know much about the contour but I can get one at cost from a friend, otherwise I'd be paying full price for the GoPro. Does the contour shoot still images also? It didn't say it did on the website. Also the contour waterproof case is only waterproof to 30ft where the GoPro says 180ft. I would be mainly using it for wakeboarding but might take it diving once a year. Thanks for the input!
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       03-28-2011, 5:53 PM Reply   
The contour has a lenz that rotates 180, So you can mount the cam upside down and then rotate the picture to the angle you like. It also has a Lazer pointer intergrated into the lenz so you can see with the pointer what your pointing at. Im not sure the Contour has a water proof case like the Go Pro.
Im looking at the GO Pro HD

I
Old     (surfdoggy)      Join Date: Dec 2009       03-29-2011, 6:41 AM Reply   
I researched this earlier this year. Based on what I could find: The Contour has a 135 degree lens, the GoPro has a 170 degree lens. They are shaped differently (bullet cam vs. mini camera box profile) so one may work better than the other in some applications. Both are good for close up/action video. Neither is great for filming wakeboarding from the boat. Neither one has an LCD viewscreen in the base version, although I think there is a clip on one now (or very soon) available for the GoPro. I think the GoPro takes bigger video cards (32gb vs. 16gb) last time I looked. I saw that the GoPro firmware was also just updated to allow for live video output (a rarity in small cameras). If they cost me the same, I would buy the GoPro. From what I have read, there isn’t a difference in video quality (I haven’t seen the Contour HD video), so if all I wanted was some good occasional close up action video, and I could get a real deal on the Contour, I can see going that way too.
Old     (RedRum)      Join Date: Nov 2010       03-29-2011, 7:23 AM Reply   
The GoPro HD has a firmware update that allows for the camera to shoot up-side down. As mentioned, the is a LCD screen available for the Go Pro as well. It is called the LCD BacPac, comes with a new waterproof housing, and retailed for around $80.
I just bought a Go Pro because of the multiple mounting options. I also have a Vio POV1, I like it but the mounting options are a little limited because of the camera head being tethered to the remote recorder.
One thing to consider is whether or not you plan on editing the video on your computer. Does your computer/software possess the performance to edit in HD? I am a PC user, and experimenting with software that can handle the HD video. My computer is only a couple of years old, and the software I used to edit the Vio video won't handle the HD video. From what I can tell you will need at least a 2.4 GHz multiple core processor, 4 gig of RAM, and a decent video card.