Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (blastmaster)      Join Date: Aug 2001       01-28-2010, 3:43 PM Reply   
Thinking about getting a Traeger Smoker and wondering if any of the grill experts on WW have experience. I know everybody loves the Big Green Egg but it is too fragile to transport camping & not big enough for a large group of people. I already have a Weber Summit C with all the goodies but watching Pitmasters, I am now ready to step up. Thinking of entering some local bbq competetions just for kicks.
I already have Xmas,Superbowl,Thanksgiving,4th July and god knows how many other gatherings where I end up Q'ing for a group.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Even some more of the BBQ recipees would be great. Gramp's bacon wrapped scallops still top my list of favorits from WW but the bacon wrapped tenderloin was a close second.

Thanks
Rick
Old     (mammoth)      Join Date: Apr 2005       01-28-2010, 3:51 PM Reply   
Traegers are great! I'm the black sheep in my family because I'm the only one that doesn't have one. My extended family lives near the factory in Oregon where they are pretty heavily marketed so everyone ended up with them.

You can't sear on a trager...but searing is best done on cast iron over a burner anyway.

I'm sure that you know that aside cooking and smoking with wood, a huge benefit from the Traeger is consist heat that you don't have to babysit. This isn't BS, they work great.

IMO these guys have the right idea with their dual-fuel grills...

http://www.americangrills.com/home.html
Old     (bond)      Join Date: Nov 2002       01-28-2010, 4:04 PM Reply   
Rick the Traegers are great we bought one for our office last summer The small smoket, works great, has the auto feeder, tuen it on low & let it go nice and slow
Old     (jetskiprosx)      Join Date: Aug 2004       01-28-2010, 4:49 PM Reply   
I love Traegers! My dad is a dealer for them and sells them at his store. I don't have one (yet) cause they are pretty spendy and my gas grill is still going strong. When it dies though I will def. be getting one!

The only downsides to them are they cost more to operate, take longer to heat up, and they can't get really hot (400* max on the smaller units). Other then that, they are awesome!

You won't really notice a difference when you cook a burger, but when you start slow cooking something for hours, you will really be able to taste the difference. One of my favorites is a whole smoked turkey. Brine it for 24 hours, then let it cook all day...yummm!
Old     (mendo247)      Join Date: Mar 2005       01-28-2010, 6:20 PM Reply   
AHhhh man Trager Turkeys are the best ever! We have been doing them for years! I could never imagine going back. Alittle Trager rub on some chicken, smoke all day, another best ever. My parents have one we use on the Holidays and also at their summer home we use during the summer. Nothing better than throwing some chicken on in the morning and picking what you want off in the afternoon. You really cant over cook with it set on low. Almost dummy proof. I swear unless you've had a Turkey smoked on a Trager you are missing out!
Old     (steezyshots)      Join Date: Feb 2008       01-29-2010, 9:29 AM Reply   
I love my big green egg! Haven't tried the trager but i hear good things! Pizza in the big green egg is amazing!
Old     (mendo247)      Join Date: Mar 2005       01-29-2010, 10:01 AM Reply   
I may have to get one of these big green eggs. Seen allot of people talking about them lately.
Old     (mfifer)      Join Date: Mar 2008       01-29-2010, 10:25 AM Reply   
Riley I agree the pizza's I get out of my BGE are amazing. I have never had one person not say that it was one of the best pizzas they have ever had. Do you put any type of wood chip in with the pizza to add a little flavor ever?}
Old     (wakescene)      Join Date: Feb 2001       01-29-2010, 10:52 AM Reply   
don't discount electric either. I have a Masterbilt Electric 30" and it's awesome.
Old     (chadgreg)      Join Date: Feb 2008       01-29-2010, 10:58 AM Reply   
I have the Traeger Professional and I am just getting it dialed in since I got it in November. I've cooked Chicken, Ribs, Tri-Tip, Turkey, Beef Shoulder and Pork Shoulder on it. So far the pork shoulder was by far the best thing.

I bought mine at http://pelletgrilloutlet.com/inc/sdetail/135:

With the 180 degree thermostat

I smoked an 9 LB pork shoulder for 14.5 Hrs @ 225 degrees with apple pellets and it turned out incredible. I did use 1 whole bag of apple pellets ($18) so kind of expensive but worth it.

I have found that you need to get the right combo of pellets, temperature and time...LOw and slowwww

Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
UploadUpload
Upload

(Message edited by chadgreg on January 29, 2010)
Old     (steezyshots)      Join Date: Feb 2008       01-29-2010, 11:05 AM Reply   
Sometimes I mess around with different flavors. The best thing I have done in my egg is Oysters, they are so good!
Old     (wakejunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       01-29-2010, 8:26 PM Reply   
I've had a Traeger for 5 years now and haven't looked back.
I've done a number of foods
turkey
brisket
pork butt
ribs
salmon
pizza
meatloaf
hamburgers
bacon

Would love to put a cold smoker on it and start doing cheeses and nuts.

Chris
get the grip you deserve
www.wakejunky.com
Old     (shane97210)      Join Date: Jan 2007       01-30-2010, 12:34 PM Reply   
I have had the "Tex" model for 10 years now and it is still running strong. Great for bbq and smoking, not so great for grilling. I use mine year round and love it, but i also want a TEK grill for steaks. If you buy the pellets in bulk (1 ton), they are pretty cheap. I go in with dad, uncle, and a buddy once every year or so.