Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Trick Tips

Old     (k9fxr)      Join Date: Jul 2005       08-26-2007, 6:13 PM Reply   
I seems that in many tricks there was one final thought or move that made the trick click for you.
What did it for you in the TS Front Roll.
Old    alanp            08-26-2007, 7:02 PM Reply   
hmm i wrote some things down in my other thread (oa 3's) that may help you. there are a few things i really focus on.
1. haul arse into the wake.
2. completely come off the edge
3. stand as tall as you can(weight on your heels) at the top of the wake
4. rope HAS TO STAY PINNED at your front hip(this was my key to being consistent but i had to do all the other steps too!!!)
5. really huck the trick(chest down to the water and hard
6. stay tucked much longer than you think you need to. when learning these you want to fall over your toes into your face(it wont hurt, just stay tucked)
7. about mid rotation you can move the handle from your hip and release you rear hand.

this is a really intense trick for me, what i mean is that i really have to throw it. other tricks have more to do with the set up into the wake that will almost do the trick for you (i.e. back roll, raley based tricks) i've got close to 15 inverts and this one i didnt learn until this year. it was a real pain in my butt!!!!!

(Message edited by alanp on August 26, 2007)
Old     (rmack)      Join Date: Jul 2005       08-27-2007, 10:10 AM Reply   
First you have to have a working binding. Broken bindings will not help you.
Old     (rmack)      Join Date: Jul 2005       08-27-2007, 10:11 AM Reply   
Who's David Smith?
Old     (k9fxr)      Join Date: Jul 2005       08-27-2007, 7:00 PM Reply   
Alanp, on point 6 above, are you referring to the landing?
Hey Tuna finger, the bindings are now new again
Old    alanp            08-27-2007, 9:46 PM Reply   
yes the landing. stay tucked. when learning these try to overrotate and try to fall over on your face. if you do fall over onto your face(while tucked) it wont hurt. once you can do this you know you are rotating enough(most people underrotate and land on their back or heels)
Old     (eubanks01)      Join Date: Jun 2001       08-28-2007, 7:05 AM Reply   
Alan - Any other tips on the "trip" part of this trick and the crow? That is where I'm getting hung up...getting the pop from the trip.
Old    alanp            08-28-2007, 9:35 AM Reply   
hey jarret the main thing i had to get over was that i didnt need a progressive edge. mentally it was difficult to conceive that if i hauled enough butt into the wake and let off that i would get the pop that i needed in order to rotate this trick. but it works.

before even tried to throw the trick i just learned the proper "pop".
1. to do this i cut out at far as possible.
2.pin the handle to the area of your front hip. 3.let the boat turn your board
4. once your on edge really lay into it.
5. when you get to the bottom of the wake remove all your weight from you toes to your heels.
6. at the top of the wake you want to stand as tall as possible.

do this before even attempting the trick. it took me a bit to get the timing of all of it. when youre doing this correctly you will get booted(land in the flats). its pretty wierd because its so different than the edge i normally take to get booted however it works.

i do two different types of crows. one using the edge discribed above(the correct way) and the other using a progressive edge and the board flies out the back.

when i do then the "correct" way i simply keep my rear hand on the handle and tug it a little to rear hip. but i couldnt do these "correctly" until i learned the tsfr.
Old     (eubanks01)      Join Date: Jun 2001       08-28-2007, 9:50 AM Reply   
Cool. Thanks a lot. I think doing the edge and pop without throwing the trick would save me a lot of pain. I've tried this a few times one wake style but not trying to take them bigger. I got a little bit of the feeling and did the "roll up the windows" since I was getting throw forward.

I hope to try some this weekend and land this thing. I'll report back next week.
Old     (k9fxr)      Join Date: Jul 2005       08-29-2007, 3:42 PM Reply   
There really is not alot of pain. I did feel pretty beat up at the end of the day, and sometimes you do slap the boys down under, but usually no big deal

thanks alanp for your thoughts
Old     (eas)      Join Date: Nov 2001       08-31-2007, 8:01 AM Reply   
for eubanks: i think a key to the take-off is coming off your edge like ap says, but MAKE SURE you ride all the way up the wake before you throw either trick. we've all thrown them too early so i'm sure you know what i mean....just make sure you get to the peak....don't flip from the trough.

for david: i think ap's point six from his first post is the single most important part of the FR. i've even gotten into the habit of saying (out loud) "wait" right before i think it's time to open up. i don't think i've ever seen anyone land this trick until after they've OVER-rotated a few just to get the feeling of staying tucked. don't worry about the over-rotated landing....it's not like catching an edge, especially if you stay tucked. basically, you will do a crashing somersault.

good luck to both!