Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through July 28, 2004

Old    wakeboardersdad            07-18-2004, 8:02 PM Reply   
Hi All

I'm looking for the right wakeboard for my 12 year old son. He's totally new to wakeboarding, but races an alpine snowboard (carving board with hardboots) in the winter. This is mainly for fun, but it might also be good summer training for his main passion, which is alpine snowboard racing (slalom and giant slalom). He's not really into arials. He'd like like to "carve" a slalom course that we might setup. So, what's the best board for the above, one that will allow him to get started easily (generate some confidence) but last a while as he gains experience? What length? What features? FYI, we borrowed a neighbours board and he got up on the 2nd try and started to carve/cut some turns right off!!

Lastly, we'd consider buying a used board at this early stage.

Thanks for your help.

Julian

Old     (kingskrew)      Join Date: May 2004       07-18-2004, 8:37 PM Reply   
Unfortunately, it sounds like your son would be more suited for slalom skiing. (not that I would recommend skiing over wakeboarding to ANYONE) The whole allure of boarding over skiing is the air. While you can have fun carving on a wakeboard its not really what thy're designed for. I would suggest he give skiing a try before you decide to buy a wakeboard, he might be more into it. I've alpine boarded before, and I didn't dig it at all, I immediately switched to a more traditional trick board which is very similar to wakeboarding. Water skiing is ALL about carving, just like alpine snowboarding. Hope any of this helps
Old     (dococ)      Join Date: Mar 2002       07-18-2004, 8:50 PM Reply   
Something that edges strongly and quickly, with a nice predictable continuous rocker. The Liquid Force "Trip" is one that comes to mind, and it might be ideal for his style. You can probably pick up a used Trip in good condition for not too much money. I'm sure others will have lots of suggestions. At his level and with his downhill snowboard style, I would avoid a 3-stage rocker for his wakeboard at this point. Good luck, I'm sure he will pick it up quickly. I highly recommend sending him to a good school/camp for at least a day so that he can get his fundamentals dialed in properly. This will allow for faster progression and avoid bad habits. If you tell us where you are located, I'm sure some folks can recommend a good instructor. How tall and and how much does he weigh, so that we can provide some guidance on a good board length?
Old    shopguy            07-18-2004, 8:57 PM Reply   
Make sure you demo as many boards as you can..Don't settle for "a name" board...don't get a board with more then 2.3 rocker...all boards are good..good luck
Old     (dococ)      Join Date: Mar 2002       07-18-2004, 8:57 PM Reply   
Steve, I see your point, but slalom skiing requires years of disceplined training to really become proficient at it. This kid is going to pick up wakeboarding in a heartbeat. Right now he thinks that he does not care about air, but we all know he will catch the fever in no time. He better watch out, once he gets a flavor for lofty air, he might be trading in his downhill snowboard for a freestyle board and hanging out in the park all day with all the other jib monkeys in there. Tragedy!
Old    murrayair            07-19-2004, 1:42 AM Reply   
Even if he was better suited for slalom, I would(like Steve said) never reccommend it over wakeboarding. I have a personal beef with anything slalom, but that story's for another time.

I would go with what the good doctor said. Continuous rocker that is very responsive. Never ridden the trip, so I can't comment, but I would go with the 02 or 03 Hyperlite Belmont. Edges really well and is very responsive
Old    jake_mi            07-19-2004, 8:57 AM Reply   
how about the new hyperlite roam. i would imagine that would help him work on edging.

Jake
Old     (dococ)      Join Date: Mar 2002       07-19-2004, 9:42 AM Reply   
Since the Roam is being billed as a jib board, I would not be surprised if the edges are lifted or de-tuned a bit (like on Shane's Subjekt), which would be the opposite of what this kid is familiar with on his snowboard. Hard to say, since none of us have ridden the Roam. Until he gets the feel for wakeboarding, I would go with something established and proven, with responsive edges and a racy feel. Given his background, I'm sure he already knows how to edge better than most newbies, he just needs board that can accommodate his style. I have no loyalty to Liquid Force, but this is what the Trip is known for. The Belmont might work well, or better yet maybe a Hyerlite TFD. Just my opinion.
Old    wakeboardersdad            07-19-2004, 7:15 PM Reply   
Hi All

Thanks for the replies. If you are new to this post, feel free to respond; I'd be grateful for afew more responses.

I'd also appreciate some advise as to length, board stiffness, etc. My son is 12 years old, weighs 90 lbs and is 5 feet tall.

Also, any thoughts on appropriate bindings?

Thanks again.

Julian

(Message edited by wakeboardersdad on July 19, 2004)
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       07-20-2004, 6:58 AM Reply   
This is what I would buy him....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=47363&item=3689686 089&rd=1

It's the same board as I'm riding in my profile pic, but sized for a kid. And it's a sweet deal as well.