Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through April 26, 2009

Old     (rhett_true_session_board_riders)      Join Date: Sep 2007       04-05-2009, 11:30 AM Reply   
what is the best way to get out the highlights old decals leave?
Old     (99_slaunch)      Join Date: Oct 2005       04-05-2009, 12:10 PM Reply   
Depending on how bad they are. Try to just buff(variable speed buffer)and a fine compound. If that does not work a little wet sanding and then buffing.
Old     (supraride)      Join Date: Jun 2007       04-05-2009, 2:10 PM Reply   
Rhett, Yea you will probably have to wet sand and buff them out. I used to have an older sanger that I took the old decals off and put the newer ones on and the guy doing the boat for me had to wet sand them otherwise you could see the outline of the old ones. It came out real nice though. Good luck
Old     (rhett_true_session_board_riders)      Join Date: Sep 2007       04-05-2009, 5:35 PM Reply   
i figured i would have to wet sand. buffing didnt do it. tony did you try bringing the gel around the decals up to the same level? i have a 95.
Old     (supraride)      Join Date: Jun 2007       04-05-2009, 6:15 PM Reply   
Just wet sanded it , buffed and waxed the crap out of it, buffed some more. It was a pretty big area to do so most of it was re-done.
Old     (wakeboardin2k4)      Join Date: Sep 2006       04-05-2009, 7:36 PM Reply   
I just went through this issue today. What a pain in the butt.

This is my first wetsanding experience. I took my decals off of my 86 nautique and i tried buffing, then tried 600 grit sandpaper and wasn't making progress so I got 320 and went with that.

I hate doing it but the results are amazing. This picture is really poor lighting. It was about 630 when I finished up this part.

Here is also a picture of the before.
Old     (wakeboardin2k4)      Join Date: Sep 2006       04-05-2009, 7:43 PM Reply   
sorry heres my pics

Upload
Upload
Upload
Old     (supraride)      Join Date: Jun 2007       04-05-2009, 9:16 PM Reply   
Eric, That came out nice. Great job.
Old     (rhett_true_session_board_riders)      Join Date: Sep 2007       04-05-2009, 9:30 PM Reply   
Eric, really nice. what grit did you end on after the 320? im guessing you used 3m wax or something close to it. did you go with a rotary buffer?
Old     (greatdane)      Join Date: Feb 2001       04-06-2009, 12:24 AM Reply   
This is why my next boat will be WHITE with no DECALS.
Old     (wakeboardin2k4)      Join Date: Sep 2006       04-06-2009, 4:00 AM Reply   
Thanks guys. Its not perfectly brand new looking, but its damn good for 23 years old. When you look REALLY close you can see the scratch marks from the sand paper. But too the touch its smooth as glass.

I did 320, 400, 600, 800, 1000, heavy duty rubbing compound, 3m imperial compound, starbright polish, and then 3m liquid wax.

I try not to curse on these forums but the F-word just wants to come screaming out when I talk about wetsanding. If the results weren't so amazing id never ever do it.

I am going to try and finish up the rest of my boats red with that same procedure. And then the white on the sides will get HD compound, light compound, polish and waxed. But the top deck is going to get 600 grit and up to bring back the shine.
Old     (wstr01)      Join Date: Feb 2001       04-06-2009, 7:06 AM Reply   
I had the 01 Wakesetter decals on my white boat. After about 2 years I took them off and they left the shiney part where they were. I've buffed and polished and am now thinking wetsanding may be the answer. But after reading this I'm afraid my arms may fall off from doing it on the entire side of the boat (twice).

IF I ever get a new boat again, the stickers are coming off as soon as it shows up in my driveway.

I'm almost thinking a wrap would be better than wetsanding but they're kinda pricey.
Old     (salty87)      Join Date: Jul 2002       04-06-2009, 7:10 AM Reply   
finesse-it is a great polish that should get anything the compound leaves behind. expensive but worth it imo.

looks great. great workout i'm sure.
Old     (rhett_true_session_board_riders)      Join Date: Sep 2007       04-06-2009, 9:32 PM Reply   
i have a wrap on mine but it seems to be an ongoing battle with scratches or tears. the other option is going with barney purple and teal that was rockin mid 90s.