Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (Reez)      Join Date: Mar 2010       08-09-2012, 7:45 AM Reply   
Perhaps I'm just an old man but I've noticed in a lot of vids and such people are wearing tshirts while riding and alot of times over their vests. Is this just a style thing or something pros do to wear sponsors shirt? I'm just curious but it seems to be a pretty common thing these days.
Old     (petrie141)      Join Date: Jun 2012       08-09-2012, 7:50 AM Reply   
When I was younger we would do it if we had a bad sunburn... it always seemed to weigh us down and limit our range of motion. I think the pros just do it when they're free riding or shooting some video. Seems like if the rider has a vest sponsor, wouldn't they want their vest to be shown on the rider? I don't get it... I also don't get the whole cut off pants being used as board shorts...
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       08-09-2012, 7:51 AM Reply   
Various reasons, most stupid. Pros = to promote sponsor, cover up not having a vest, cover up what type of vest their wearing. Not Pros = because they see the Pros do it, because they think they're sponsored/want to promote something, they think others, or themselves, look silly in a vest and want to look more "normal".

I personally have no desire to ride in a wet t shirt, looking like a drowned rat, and I'm comfortable with how I look in a vest..
Old     (Reez)      Join Date: Mar 2010       08-09-2012, 7:59 AM Reply   
Yeah I kind of thought of the whole not wearing a sponsors vest thing which made sense.... sunburn makes sense..... Never really got the whole looking cool thing. Seems like riding speaks for itself
Old     (brett33)      Join Date: Apr 2011       08-09-2012, 8:13 AM Reply   
I ride in an old A10 jet pilot and if I don't wear a tank or something over it the vest comes unzipped on almost every fall. Just helps me to keep from messing with my vest.
Old     (jperkinsttu)      Join Date: Mar 2008       08-09-2012, 8:24 AM Reply   
I wear one when I ride cable bc my vest is too short and I always get a nice lower back/upper a$$ sunburn. I wear a Dryfit tshirt so at least it dries out pretty quick after I fall and get back to the dock. Out on the boat I don't worry about it bc I always have shade in the boat and my vest covers as well. I'm a ginger so this plays into my thinking haha.

I know a lot of people do it at the cable to try and hide they are wearing non-cga vests. As for behind the boat I have no ideas other than what been mentioned.
Old     (srock)      Join Date: Mar 2002       08-09-2012, 8:46 AM Reply   
I wear a long sleeve dryfit/rashguard type shirt 95% of the time to keep the sun off and to keep cool. I find a damp dryfit keeps me nice and cool when out of the water on hot days. I look for long sleeves and a type that is tall in the neck although I could just regrow my mullet. The shirts work best when tight and I never wear them over a vest...whats the point of that...

I also often wear a loose fitting long sleeve version while off shore fishing or in the sun. I love the new technical fabrics.
Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       08-09-2012, 8:49 AM Reply   
It compliments my flatbill cap.
Old     (BamaLurker)      Join Date: Dec 2011       08-09-2012, 9:21 AM Reply   
Man I get sick of being asked this question. I can't speak for the guys wearing a shirt while doing nothing but wake 2 wake but I always wear a t shirt when hitting rails. After you've fallen on sum dry trex you'll understand. Has nothing to do with trying to b stylish for me at least. My lower back thanks me everytime I end a set with no trex burn.
Old     (VinnyA)      Join Date: Aug 2011       08-09-2012, 10:22 AM Reply   
I always wear a lax pinney over my life vest. Ever since I've done it I have stomped a new trick every time out lol
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       08-09-2012, 10:35 AM Reply   
For the same reason snow boarders do it. To incorporate some skate style into our image.

I don't do it. I hate the extra 2 pounds of wet shirt, and having to pack home a soaking wet cotton shirt.
Old    LR3w8kbrdr            08-09-2012, 10:39 AM Reply   
If I wear a shirt over my vest it'll look like Im not wearing anything since I ride in speedos. Trying to keep the tan lines minimal
Old     (Reez)      Join Date: Mar 2010       08-09-2012, 10:52 AM Reply   
To the cables who wear it to protect during rails i can get that. I am strictly a boat guy so I wouldnt understand that.
Old     (Jmaxymek)      Join Date: Feb 2012       08-09-2012, 10:56 AM Reply   
Trex burns hurt and tend to end up as scars for me... I wear a shirt sometimes on cable, but never behind the boat.
Old     (theloungelife)      Join Date: Jun 2012 Location: Salt Lake City, UT       08-09-2012, 1:49 PM Reply   
I'll second wearing a longsleeve rash guard under the vest. Awesome sun protection and it cuts down on the smack down. I tried wearing a shirt over my vest it was just too heavy
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       08-09-2012, 1:50 PM Reply   
In the over a decade I've ridden cables, I've only "burned" my forearm, which a shirt doesn't cover, and the required vest covers the torso. Winching seems like the only time it would actually make sense, and like J-Rod said, it's more trying to be a skater and keep it real.
Old     (tonyv420)      Join Date: Jul 2007       08-09-2012, 2:11 PM Reply   
I wear a tank to cover my fat a$$ belly!! over my non CGA vest! it also goes with my flat bill cap!!
Old     (imondi)      Join Date: Aug 2010       08-09-2012, 7:45 PM Reply   

I'm gonna take up this rash guard under the vest idea for rails! Haha
Old     (srock)      Join Date: Mar 2002       08-10-2012, 5:41 AM Reply   
get a good burn on that and it will leave a nice scar to talk about
Old     (MrPeepers)      Join Date: Aug 2011       08-10-2012, 5:47 AM Reply   
Wakeboarding is dangerous. I now wear gloves in addition to a t-shirt over my vest after I sustained this brutal injury.
Old     (simplej)      Join Date: Sep 2011       08-10-2012, 6:07 AM Reply   
My brother does. It fits his style and even eventuates it and everything seems to flow more. Simple as that.
Old     (MrPeepers)      Join Date: Aug 2011       08-10-2012, 6:11 AM Reply   
Does anyone else wear knee pads?
Old     (baitkiller)      Join Date: Jan 2010       08-10-2012, 9:34 AM Reply   
I thought about wearing a cup the first time I got ball smacked riding cable. I will wear a rash guard under my vest normally and long sleeved Ts while in the boat.
Old     (kybool)      Join Date: Aug 2004       08-10-2012, 9:43 AM Reply   
Does anyone else wear knee pads?

Hahaha, only to my night job.

Last edited by kybool; 08-10-2012 at 9:44 AM. Reason: duh
Old     (Tucker_McElroy)      Join Date: Mar 2012       08-10-2012, 9:44 AM Reply   
I have been pulled over by the sheriff no less than four times because idiots riding behind my boat have t-shirts over their vests. The sheriff can't see if they are wearing a vest or not and bingo, it is an excuse to pull us over and go through a damn safety check. The t-shirt thing is just plain stupid and is asking for trouble, at least here in AZ and UT.
Old     (kristian)      Join Date: Nov 2002       08-10-2012, 11:01 AM Reply   
Hot days at the cable where you're cutting laps a wet shirt does keep you cool..... other than that, don't really get it.
Old     (waketx05)      Join Date: Feb 2008       08-11-2012, 6:09 PM Reply   
Plain and simple. Dumb trend.
Old     (WaterBullDawg)      Join Date: Mar 2010       08-12-2012, 11:32 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by LR3w8kbrdr View Post
If I wear a shirt over my vest it'll look like Im not wearing anything since I ride in speedos. Trying to keep the tan lines minimal
#swag

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
Old     (madcityskier)      Join Date: Jun 2012       08-12-2012, 9:19 PM Reply   
I'm calling BS on the back injury. No way a vest is allowing that but a t shirt prevents it. Or do you ride with an orange horseshoe that leaves your back exposed?
Old     (imondi)      Join Date: Aug 2010       08-13-2012, 2:01 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by madcityskier View Post
I'm calling BS on the back injury. No way a vest is allowing that but a t shirt prevents it. Or do you ride with an orange horseshoe that leaves your back exposed?
I wear a jet pilot comp vest and I fell on the edge of the slider. When I was sliding across on my back it pushed the vest over. It really wasn't as bad as it looked! Haha
Old     (srock)      Join Date: Mar 2002       08-14-2012, 8:14 AM Reply   
If your going to do it, make sure your shirt matches your socks!
Old     (skiboarder)      Join Date: Oct 2006       08-14-2012, 9:42 AM Reply   
I don't wear a shirt unless it is super-sunny. And then it is under my vest. The one time I tried it over, I kept getting tangled in my handle-passes. Anyone else had this problem?

As far as protection goes. I don't wear my techy-thin boardshorts at the park anymore unless I have too. I ripped a pair and in the process cut myself more than once. Now I wear walking shorts or even my old work slacks cut-off. they are a thicker and if they get destroyed I am not too worried about it.
Old     (dizzlestoy)      Join Date: Aug 2006       08-15-2012, 8:52 PM Reply   
Then why don't you put it under your jacket?