Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through June 03, 2009

Old     (ace77)      Join Date: Mar 2003       05-11-2009, 4:20 PM Reply   
Louisiana has lost one of our little up and coming rippers. She was a little wakeboard ripper from Baton Rouge, LA that rode a few stops in TX INT Stops and AR INT stops last season. She went on to INT Nationals to place on the podium. She was a killer rider that will be missed. Please remember her family in your thoughts and prayers. Valarie passed away this past weekend on the water. The following is from our local news station:

[IMG]http://WAFB.images.worldnow.com/images/10337146_BG1.jpg[/IMG]

River drowning victim identified
Posted:
May 10, 2009 09:49 PM
Updated:
May 11, 2009 04:19 PM
River drowning victim identified
Girl's body found in Amite River

Valarie Hodges

By Cheryl Mercedes

PORT VINCENT, LA (WAFB) -Her dream was to become a professional wakeboarder. Family and friends of ten year-old Valarie Hodges say she spent every minute of her free time in the water perfecting her craft.

Sunday night, around 6:30, Valarie was preparing to doing just that behind her home in Amite Acres when authorities say she disappeared into the Amite River and never came back up.

Valerie's parents, Michael and Norma, can't comprehend how this happened. They say their daughter was a skilled swimmer who spent most of her life in the water.

Valarie Hodges was born in Pensacola, Florida. Her parents named her after her grandmother. She spent the first three years of her life in Mexico with her parents who were missionaries. Her grandmother says Valarie fell in love with wakeboarding at a young age. Hodges says seven years ago, her parents had a house built on the Amite River so Valarie could pursue her dream. "They wanted to be on the river so she could practice." Hodges says her granddaughter spent most of her free time on the Amite. At ten years-old, Valarie was already fulfilling her dream. Valarie's family says she recently placed second in a national wakeboarding competition. The Galvez Elementary school student was well on her way. "She was on the honor roll, has all kinds of medals."

Hodges says Sunday when Valarie and her father Michael were gearing up for another practice run, the unimaginable happened. "Michael was putting on a life jacket on the three year old granddaughter and talking to Valarie. He turned around and after he got the life jacket on her... Tiffany... Valarie stopped talking and at first he thought she was playing a joke."

But, it was not joke. Valarie was gone. Authorities searched the river and surrounding area for nearly three hours Sunday evening. Around ten o'clock deputies pulled Valarie from the water not far from her house. "I just can't believe it. She could swim like a fish. There is no explanation. We don't know what happened." Her family is struggling to understand how this little girl with a warm smile and such promising future could be taken from them so soon. "She did love life. She was never sad... always happy. We'll always remember what a blessing she is."

The coroner's office is doing an autopsy to determine the exact cause of death. Valarie's family has set up an account to help pay for funeral expenses.

PORT VINCENT, LA (WAFB) - Louisiana Wildlife and Fisheries agents and Ascension Parish sheriff's deputies pulled the body of a missing 10-year-old girl out of the Amite River off Highway 42 Sunday night.

She apparently drowned on Amite Acres, which is not far from Fred's in Port Vincent. Family friends identified the victim as Valarie Hodges.

Deputies say they had been out there searching for nearly three hours.

A family friend says Valarie liked to wakeboard and compete in competitions.

Officials aren't releasing much information at this time, leaving questions as to how Valarie drowned.

The family has set up accounts in her name at First Guaranty and Chase banks.
Old     (akdivision)      Join Date: Mar 2007       05-11-2009, 4:28 PM Reply   
heart breaking...Having and child of my own I cant imagine what this family must be going through. My heart and prayer's go out to them
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       05-11-2009, 4:55 PM Reply   
Wow, that's just crushing. Our prayers go out to the family!
Old     (wakeboardgeezer)      Join Date: May 2009       05-11-2009, 5:11 PM Reply   
Oh NO,.. bless her heart and her family's.
Please accept my heart felt sadness for your loss. It is not much but please let me send you our "Wake Prayer".

http://videos.wakeboardingmag.com/viewVideo.php?video_id=1222&title=The_Wake_Prayer

May God be with you and bless you!
Old     (fulltilt429)      Join Date: Apr 2007       05-11-2009, 5:13 PM Reply   
My condolences to the family, that is so sad.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       05-11-2009, 5:15 PM Reply   
was she standing on the swim step with the boat running by any chance?
Old     (waterdork88)      Join Date: Aug 2005       05-11-2009, 5:34 PM Reply   
my prayers to the family
Old    walt            05-11-2009, 5:35 PM Reply   
My condolences.
Old     (cbk)      Join Date: Aug 2006       05-11-2009, 6:26 PM Reply   
Seriously.... I can't even imagine what they are dealing with right now. We are all blessed to be here.

Our prayers to her and the family.
Old     (ryan_shima1)      Join Date: Sep 2002 Location: Layton, Utah       05-11-2009, 6:27 PM Reply   
Very sad, my condolences to the family.
Old     (wakereviews)      Join Date: Sep 2006       05-11-2009, 6:46 PM Reply   
that is horrible. condolences to the family.
Old     (jixxxer)      Join Date: Apr 2006       05-11-2009, 6:55 PM Reply   
My condolences; can't even imagine.
Old     (jjakober)      Join Date: Apr 2002       05-11-2009, 7:19 PM Reply   
What a tragedy, condolences to the family.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       05-11-2009, 7:22 PM Reply   
my condolences to the family.
Old     (deltawake)      Join Date: Sep 2004       05-11-2009, 7:48 PM Reply   
I hate to hear this. Our thoughts and prayers go out to the family.
Old     (lftaylor)      Join Date: Mar 2006       05-11-2009, 7:51 PM Reply   
Can someone post an address for these accounts.
Scott
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       05-11-2009, 8:12 PM Reply   
Thoughts and prayers for sure. That is tragic.
Old     (teamvaldez)      Join Date: Apr 2003       05-11-2009, 8:16 PM Reply   
Our thoughts and continued prayer for this family!!
Old     (skate_or_die)      Join Date: Mar 2008       05-11-2009, 8:18 PM Reply   
my prayers go out to her family. as a father of 4 kids and 1 on the way it makes me aware of just how fast things can happen. now have to go and hug my kids.
Old     (nuckledragger)      Join Date: Jun 2004       05-11-2009, 8:59 PM Reply   
Heartbreaking...my thoughts and prayers go out to the Hodges family.
Old     (saceone)      Join Date: Jan 2009       05-12-2009, 1:13 AM Reply   
horrible :-(
thoughts and prayers
Old     (morgs)      Join Date: Nov 2005       05-12-2009, 1:32 AM Reply   
Just terrible news. My thoughts, prayers and condolences go out to the family.
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       05-12-2009, 5:32 AM Reply   
horrible! I feel so much for this family.
Old     (fullonsalesgrp)      Join Date: Jan 2004       05-12-2009, 5:52 AM Reply   
Ditto what everyone else has said and is feeling
Old     (slipknot)      Join Date: Aug 2001       05-12-2009, 6:12 AM Reply   
our prayers go out to the family
Old     (ktm525)      Join Date: Mar 2009       05-12-2009, 6:31 AM Reply   
My whole family prayers go to their family.
Old     (innov8)      Join Date: May 2005       05-12-2009, 8:30 AM Reply   
So sad, my thoughts and prayers are with her family.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       05-12-2009, 9:10 AM Reply   
how sad. thoughts and prayers to hers.
Old     (jaybee)      Join Date: Aug 2007       05-12-2009, 9:19 AM Reply   
So Tragic
Old     (beisbol20)      Join Date: Jun 2005       05-12-2009, 10:03 AM Reply   
very sad, so young and tragic. just said a prayer for them.
Old     (wazzy)      Join Date: Nov 2001       05-12-2009, 10:13 AM Reply   
Thats so sad.....
Old     (weskel)      Join Date: Jan 2007       05-12-2009, 10:53 AM Reply   
Having two kids myself this is heartbreaking, I could not imagine something happenign to one of mine.

You have to hold on to them tight, you never know if you will wake up the next day.

My condolences to the family.
Old     (wakekat15)      Join Date: Jul 2005       05-12-2009, 12:00 PM Reply   
It's hard to even imagine the heartache the family is experiencing. It would be a nice gesture if someone could design a sticker to distribute honoring her memory that we could put on our boards. (I'm not qualified!) That way, Valarie will be riding with us!

I did make a couple of calls and came up with the informaton for the burial fund that is at First Guaranty Bank.

You can mail the funds, or send them electronically if you are set up on a bill pay system with your own bank.

First Guaranty Bank
c/o Lynn Westmoreland
P.O. Box 400
Walker, LA 70785
Ph # 225-664-5549

You should reference payments with:
Valarie Hodges Fund - Account # 6361374
Old     (bmartin)      Join Date: Jan 2007       05-12-2009, 1:04 PM Reply   
What a terrible moment - going from joking around to the terror of trying to find your beautiful daughter. I hope that her family will be able to hear her favorite song and that some day soon the fond memories will cast a shadow over the pain of their loss. With great condolences to her family and friends.
Old     (dlwsrider)      Join Date: Apr 2007       05-12-2009, 3:32 PM Reply   
This is awful... She was such a sweet girl. I judged her at many local events, and even talked with her a few times, and everything on and off the water impressed me. She will be greatly missed...
Old     (dmc_napa)      Join Date: Jul 2007       05-12-2009, 5:56 PM Reply   
The Dinatale family sends our deepest sympathy to the Hodges family. My daughter, Sofia, was in the same division as Valarie, and they played on the docks this past year at INT Nationals.

Please keep us posted if someone is able to design a sticker to honor her memory. We will all wear it on our boards and remember what a tough competitor and great young lady she was.

Our thoughts and prayers are with the Hodges.
Old     (galvezlexii)      Join Date: May 2009       05-12-2009, 8:17 PM Reply   
I Miss Her, I Only Talked to Her Once But I Still Miss Her,She was Really Nice from what i heard, i wil deffinately be praying for her family,actually i already have, SHe went to my school.

We have posters all over campus for her,
We WILL NEVER FORGET HER}!!
Old     (kneeboarddad)      Join Date: Sep 2005       05-12-2009, 8:39 PM Reply   
Unimaginable. My heart breaks for them. I have no words.
Old     (koop)      Join Date: Jan 2008       05-12-2009, 8:45 PM Reply   
As a father of three young girls.....This brings a tear to my eye and lump in my throat..........can't even begin to imagine how that family is feeling...With the families approval a memorial sticker is a great idea.....deepest condolences from the Kupczyk family.
Old     (wakebrdmom)      Join Date: Mar 2006       05-13-2009, 7:15 AM Reply   
RIP Valarie, our prayers go out to her family and friends. Words can not express our sorrow for your loss.
Old     (kylielogan)      Join Date: Apr 2006       05-13-2009, 7:52 AM Reply   
my prayers go out to her family. RIP Valarie.
Old     (ace77)      Join Date: Mar 2003       05-13-2009, 8:37 PM Reply   
Just want to say thank you to everyone for the out pouring thoughts and prayers for this family. I have made plans to create a wakeboard decal in memory of Valarie. All the proceeds will go to the family for the burial fund.
This weekend in south Louisiana is LSF (Louisiana Spring Fling) a three day wakeboard festival in which we will have some of the decals on site, plus you can contact me by one of two websites
www.skibennetts.com or www.southbounddesign.com to order the decals.
Old     (wakeandmx)      Join Date: Apr 2009       05-13-2009, 8:55 PM Reply   
Terrible. Thoughts and prayers
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       05-13-2009, 10:41 PM Reply   
how heart breaking!
Old     (mikehodges)      Join Date: May 2009       05-14-2009, 3:32 AM Reply   
Thanks to everyone, for your thoughts and prayers. Ace I want to thank you for the decal it is a great gesture from yourself and benetts, I never thought something so small could meen so much. For those in the area Valarie's "wake" will be at seal funeral home in Denham Springs on Range Av. thursday from 5 till 9pm. and the funeral friday at 10 am.
Old     (zo1)      Join Date: Aug 2002       05-14-2009, 7:40 AM Reply   
Mike, best of luck to you and your family in this tragic time...
Old     (ace77)      Join Date: Mar 2003       05-14-2009, 11:14 AM Reply   
Update on Service:

Valarie Anne Hodges moved forward to be with her Lord and Savior on Sunday night, May 10, 2009, tragically while doing that which she most loved in the world. On May 27, 1998, Michael and Norma Hodges gave birth to a beautiful baby girl in Pensacola, Fla. Valarie Anne, named after her two grandmothers, spent the first three years of her life in Mexico with her family who were missionaries. Valarie by age 10 had lived more than most people do in a lifetime. She was on the honor roll and had received all kinds of medals. Valarie fell in love with wakeboarding at a young age after her father built her family a home on the Amite River. Although only 10, Valarie was well on her way to fulfilling her dream of becoming a professional wake boarder in the INT league recently placing second in the nation within her age group. Her drive and determination were always visible by her saying, "Second place is the first loser and next time I will get first place." She immediately began practicing. Valarie spent most of her free time with her father training for her sport. Her family is at a loss to understand how such a joyful and indescribably amazing person could be taken from them at such a young age. She loved life to the fullest and never ceased to bring warmth to those around her. The true extent to which she influenced those around her is beyond understanding. Valarie Anne Hodges, you are loved by all. Visitation at Seale Funeral Home in Denham Springs on Thursday, May 14, from 5 p.m. to 9 p.m. Visitation resumes at the funeral home on Friday, May 15, from 8 a.m. until services at 10 a.m. Burial in Evergreen Memorial Park, Denham Springs. She is survived by her father and best friend, Michael Hodges, and mother, Norma Hodges; sisters, Tiffany Claire, Elisha Marie and London Joy Hodges; grandparents, Leland and Valarie Hodges, and Luis and Ana Mexin; aunts and uncles, Kellie Hodges, Ana Mexin, Luis Mexin and Joshua Hodges; and many extended loving family and friends. Her motto was "Never love anything more than you love Jesus." Her family knows she is safe at home with her heavenly father. Donations may be made at Chase Bank to Straight Way Ministries for Valarie Hodges.
Old     (pavement_rider)      Join Date: Feb 2009       05-14-2009, 2:41 PM Reply   
so sad to hear of these unfortunate incidents as a father my heart aches for the hodges family. For the rest of you wake worlders CGA life jackets on please so we don't have to read anymore of these
Old     (flwa)      Join Date: Jul 2007       05-14-2009, 6:07 PM Reply   
Our thoughts and prayers to Valarie and her family. -The Reynolds Preston, Jo-Hannah, and Jenna.