Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through August 29, 2003

Old     (wakeskier)      Join Date: Aug 2003       08-15-2003, 1:23 PM Reply   
Hi,

Yesterday I tried out a new lake and the wake behind my boat was 50% bigger than normal.
(Same exact setup)

The only difference was the lake.
I usually ride on lake about 20ft deep and this lake was about 75ft deep.
Would this make a difference?

Or could there be a difference in the water itself?

Has anyone else experienced this?

All I know is that I am going to have to frequent this lake a LOT more!
Old     (aaronlee13)      Join Date: Jul 2001       08-15-2003, 1:46 PM Reply   
there wasa post about that a while back... and they were say depth makes a difference... I think it said that the deeping the water the smaller the wake... some guys on here would know more details
Old    shanday            08-15-2003, 1:55 PM Reply   
I've noticed that when we ride over the shallower end of the water were we ride, the wake pansied out on us!!! We weren't sure what was up, but figured it was the depth of the water... it would be nice to know for sure.
Old     (pierce_bronkite)      Join Date: Jul 2003       08-15-2003, 3:04 PM Reply   
ya, i have experienced the same thing. that is strange? i would like to know as well.
Old     (obrienride16)      Join Date: Jul 2001       08-15-2003, 3:17 PM Reply   
shallow water will kill your wake, but once you get over about 15 feet, your wake wont get any bigger by going deeper
Old     (wakeskier)      Join Date: Aug 2003       08-17-2003, 4:01 PM Reply   
Hrmmmm...

Since both lakes are deeper than 15ft, then there shouldn't be a difference in wake size...

Are there other factors? (minerals, contamination? something I'm missing?)
Old    wakeboardjo            08-17-2003, 10:33 PM Reply   
speed?
Old     (wakeskier)      Join Date: Aug 2003       08-18-2003, 6:13 AM Reply   
Everything about the boat has been kept the same:
Speed
Weight & Placement of sacs
Same # of people (same exact people in boat for that matter)
Same amount of Gas
etc...

I went back to the deep lake again, and the wake was once again much larger than when I'm on any of the other lakes I normally ride

Old    blind5            08-19-2003, 8:33 AM Reply   
We hold a tournement in a private lake just big enough for a salom course and it is only about 5-6 feet deep in the middle our wake size is tiny even with a super air loaded. sometimes we have to unload some people cause we start draging on the bottem (clay bottem)

so the depth matters however if you said the one lake is about 20' that shouldn't matter.
Old     (kristian)      Join Date: Nov 2002       08-19-2003, 8:37 AM Reply   
Salt, Brackish and fresh waters make a differance. But since you said lakes, I have no idea. Because 20ft to 75ft shouldn't be any differant.

(Message edited by kristian on August 19, 2003)
Old     (aneal000)      Join Date: Feb 2002       08-19-2003, 10:06 AM Reply   
Anything over 6 feet won't change the wake size. Under 6 feet the wake will get much smaller. I have rode in 2.5' - 200'+

In my personal experience.
Old    absolutofft            08-19-2003, 8:38 PM Reply   
I think that the depth does make a huge difference, and that there is a big difference going from 10-12 ft depth to like 60 ft deep and when you go up to a lake which is like 200+ ft deep the wake is much bigger.

One time i took the boat right out the mouth of the fraser river into the open ocean to do some salmon fishing and the wake in the open water was HUGE at wakeboarding speeds.
Old    wakedave375            08-23-2003, 7:53 PM Reply   
hey ROB do you ride in georgia by any chance?
Old    sumdumguy            08-25-2003, 10:17 PM Reply   
The pressure wave caused by a boat moving through the water if reflected off the bottom of the lake and pushes the boat up (out of the water) when in shallow water.

In deeper water, the reflected pressure wave still bounces back, but by the time it gets back to the surface, the boat has moved forward. Therefore, the boat is allowed to sit slightly deeper in the water, thus creating a bigger wake.