Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through April 04, 2003

Old     (utmba95)      Join Date: Apr 2002       02-18-2003, 9:28 AM Reply   
I'd like to hear from people who use synthetic oil in their Indmar engine. If you want to debate the benefits of synthetic oil, please start a new thread. I'd like to hear from people that have actually had experience with fairly new Indmar 350s. The main reason I ask is because my BMW experienced trouble maintaining a steady idle speed when cold after adding synthetic oil. (I'd let off the throttle and the engine speed would drop down too low and then oscillate up and down as it tried to reach idle speed.)

Thanks.
Old     (peter_c)      Join Date: Sep 2001       02-18-2003, 9:49 AM Reply   
Your BMW had a vacuum leak, bad 02 sensor or a bad idle air control valve. When the IAC gets lazy they hunt for idle and stall. I just got off the phone with a customer complaining of that. I am now running synthetic in my truck because I am lazy and do not want to change the oil as often.
Old    clint            02-18-2003, 12:56 PM Reply   
No problem with 15-50 Mobil 1 in my '98 Indmar 5.7L in a MasterCraft Maristar 210. I change every 50 hours and waited until 100 hours to change to synthetic. The boat has about 300 hours now. Runs well, idles nicely, no leaks. No problems with Mobil 1 5-30 (winter) or 15-50 (summer) in my E39 5 series with over 100,000 miles. Some of my BMW purist friends say I should be using the 5-30 year round but, like the battle over synthetic or not, that's another topic.
Old     (doubleup)      Join Date: Apr 2002       02-18-2003, 2:29 PM Reply   
260h on my Indmar and not a single prob. Very smooth. use mobile 1 in both my boat and truck.
Old    vanderski            02-18-2003, 5:25 PM Reply   
Put over 700 hrs on my 92 mc 205 and ran mobile one and pulled the valve covers off when I sold it and the engine was like brand new. Changed it every 50 hrs. Used it in my yukon and my lightning also. Do not use it on a old motor though.
Old    nohalfboats            02-27-2003, 6:45 PM Reply   
ran all season with only a yearly oil change.Averaged about 130 hrs a season.Never had a problem and it actually looked clean at time of change.Ran synthetic redline oil for the tranny.same good results.Indmar and velvet drive components.
Old     (malibudude)      Join Date: Feb 2001       02-27-2003, 10:44 PM Reply   
If you change you're oil every 50 hrs synthetics are a wom imho.
Old     (utmba95)      Join Date: Apr 2002       02-28-2003, 12:45 PM Reply   
Although I did say "If you want to debate the benefits of synthetic oil, please start a new thread", I got the info I was looking for so let's debate!

My BMW increased its gas mileage by about 2MPG average when I changed to synthetic. In my opinion, anything that reduces friction enough to get a 10% increase in fuel economy has to reduce the engine wear drastically. If your opinion is that you sell your boats before it develops any engine wear, that's a valid point. If you're saying that an engine will last indefinitely as long as you change your oil every 50 hours, I think that's just crazy talk.
Old    davemcadams            02-28-2003, 1:13 PM Reply   
I bought mine used. If I want to start using synthetic do you have to pretreat the motor in any or merely change the oil as normal and add synthetic.
Old     (02wakesettervlx)      Join Date: Jun 2001       02-28-2003, 2:34 PM Reply   
I have a question. Don't BMW's come with synthetic oil from the factory. I know that that's what my dealer uses in our E46. It actually says to use BMW or Mobil 1 synthetic oil in the owners manual. I run Mobil 1 in my boat and have never had any problems.
Old     (bob)      Join Date: Feb 2001       02-28-2003, 6:10 PM Reply   
im curious what the indmar parts are in a chevy block?? i thought the inside was pretty much the same from chevy boat motor to chevy boat motor and only the ancillary components and fuel system were different??