Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through September 10, 2007

Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       08-25-2007, 6:16 PM Reply   
Just got home with it, too late to ride tonight
but tomorrow, oh baby
Old     (drewsnautique94)      Join Date: Nov 2006       08-26-2007, 6:28 AM Reply   
thanks for letting us all know.....lol
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       08-26-2007, 8:56 AM Reply   
yea now reading what I wrote sounds worthless, but I'll try to turn it into a review later when I get to ride
Old     (magellan)      Join Date: Feb 2003       08-26-2007, 8:57 AM Reply   
How was the demo to see if you will like it?
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       08-26-2007, 9:02 AM Reply   
I just bought it no demo, I work at the shop it came from, I'll be able to return it if I don't like it
Old     (lfs56)      Join Date: Jul 2007       08-26-2007, 6:03 PM Reply   
so, how was it?
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       08-27-2007, 9:46 AM Reply   
It was amazing, it kicked so hard off our wake, SSN/SAN ... I had a 3ds and hated 4 fin design (couln't spin worth a damn) but I was spinning 7's like nothing, not landing, but spinning them really well, it is just really really fun board to ride... it is totally the opposite of what I usually ride but I love it, plus it looks like a transformer or something....
everyone should own one
Old     (raftisland)      Join Date: Aug 2006       08-27-2007, 11:00 AM Reply   
how are the landings? soft or hard?
Old     (byrd)      Join Date: Dec 2005       08-27-2007, 11:16 AM Reply   
Upload
Old     (ronnyboy27)      Join Date: Nov 2005       08-27-2007, 12:03 PM Reply   
How does it compare to the ONE?
Old     (ronnyboy27)      Join Date: Nov 2005       08-27-2007, 12:03 PM Reply   
How does it compare to the ONE? Pop, landings, etc.?
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       08-27-2007, 12:07 PM Reply   
I can't believe you didn't demo it!?!

Joking!!! Just don't let Trey know

http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/1/489377.html?1187376837
Old     (ronnyboy27)      Join Date: Nov 2005       08-27-2007, 12:12 PM Reply   
Let's not get into all that crap again!
Old     (h2oterroristo)      Join Date: Apr 2006       08-27-2007, 5:46 PM Reply   
FWIW, I rode the IBEX last week for a few days in a row, with no consistent prior experience with three stage boards, and here's my thoughts:

To preface, I have been riding roughly 3 years, not a huge trick bag(regular/switch into the flats or w2w heel and ts jumps w/fs 180's, any grab, really close on tantrum attempts recently), boards mostly ridden are TFD, LF Team, Roam, currently 07 Trip(maybe you've noticed not a lot of 3 stage...)

ok, now that I got that out of the way, I'll keep it simple.

Cliche sounding maybe, but this board is FUN. I found it really easy to be mellow and take shallow cuts into the wake with great pop results, or take really wide more aggressive cuts and take it into the flats.

What I mean by "I found it easy" is that although the board definitely(obviously)rode slower than my trip, it didn't feel feel heavy/slow enough to make it seem like I was really having to change my normal riding style/muscle it around to get results out of it.

If that doesn't exactly jive to some of you, maybe another aspect of it will make more sense: It didn't seem to matter if I was bombing across the wake into the flats from way high up, or taking mellower cuts and ollying w2w more vertically and landing more straight down: the landings were great, very soft.

I was surprised by the landings so much that I started purposely casing the wake in different combinations of speed and height just to confirm what I was thinking. I dunno, I'd be surprised if anyone said it was a rough landing board.

The weird thing is that the board has a massive flat spot on the bottom so my first guess before riding it would have been that it looked like it would be a harder landing board.

As far as edging, edge transfer was really cool, definitely much different than anything I'm used to. When I'd initiate an edge it seemed to really smoothly transition into it, basically what I mean by that(and you either get this or you don't)is that it felt like power steering.(Bearing in mind that the board is also much tighter than what I'm used to, I still mix it up and swap my fins on and off the board on a regular basis so I don't get too comfortable in one configuration).

Anyways, sorry but I gotta run right now. Hope some of this is useful. I'll try to answer any questions later or 2morrow if anyone has any.
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       08-27-2007, 6:09 PM Reply   
The only pic I have... I rode again tonight and I love it !!!!

Upload
Old     (ronnyboy27)      Join Date: Nov 2005       08-28-2007, 8:03 AM Reply   
Thanks for the post!
Old     (longlakerider)      Join Date: Mar 2007       08-28-2007, 8:12 AM Reply   
can we possibly get a picture of this huge flat spot weve all ben hearing about
Old     (hawkeye7708)      Join Date: Feb 2007       08-28-2007, 8:13 AM Reply   
I still think its a sweet looking board, i'll have to give it a shot sometime. Diggin' my Premier, but i'll definetely have to give it a shot.
Old     (bbking)      Join Date: Dec 2006       08-28-2007, 6:04 PM Reply   
hmm... i've narrowed my choices down to 3 boards i must demo first
slingshot recoil (2008 model)
cwb marius
and ronix ibex

and i have no idea where i'm going to start
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       08-28-2007, 6:25 PM Reply   
I got the ibex free so thats why it happened, if i was you I would go slingshot, they look amazing
Old     (ronnyboy27)      Join Date: Nov 2005       08-29-2007, 8:39 AM Reply   
I wish I got free boards. I was just counting the thousands of dollars worth of boards, life jackets, ropes etc in my garage the other day. I realized why I'm so broke!
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       08-30-2007, 9:06 PM Reply   
Here is my best shot at showing the flat spot... its runs from binding to binding all the way out, its big
Upload
Upload
Old     (jermiside)      Join Date: Jun 2007       08-30-2007, 10:05 PM Reply   
Ronix is giving away FREE boards!?!? Aaah is that a marketing ploy or desperation? Seriously try the CWB Marius...it'll change your perspective of what a great shape will do for your riding.
Old     (misfits1981)      Join Date: Aug 2007       08-30-2007, 10:45 PM Reply   
Jerm...I agree. I used to test a ton of boards and I have never ridden a board like the Marius. I can't wait to get my 08!
Old     (jermiside)      Join Date: Jun 2007       08-30-2007, 11:09 PM Reply   
Yeah KRIS, I went to a contest this summer and seriously 10 of the 18 Outlaw riders were riding a Marius. I was amazed. The Marius fan club is HUGE! You really don't understand it until you've ridden it. SICK!! BTW I got the 08...worth every penny!!
Old     (mikeporter2000)      Join Date: Oct 2005       09-02-2007, 10:35 AM Reply   
OK, so I purchased both the Ronix IBEX 144 and One 142 boards last week. I also purchased the new Ronix Relec boot (parks boot). As a side note, I'm 6'4" and 195 pounds. I do four inverts, heelside and toesside threes, grabs 180s, etc. My riding style has typically been a desire for straight up pop, landing wake to wake on some tricks and in the flats on others. I would NOT consider myself a charger who likes to land way out in the flats.

Let me start with the boots. I had them heated up and molded to my feet. After being used the the Hyperlite Parks boots it took some getting used to. However, after a few rides I am absolutley blown away by the comfort and performance of these boots. With these boots molded to your feet you can literally ride forever. They are so incredibly comfortable. I found that you need to be sure they are tight by sinching the laces every once in awhile, but when they are tight, they are incredible. The closed toe is great. On big tricks when I landed wrong in my old Hyperlite parks sometimes my foot would jam forward and get out of place in the boot - that of course never happens with the closed toe. By the way - they are light! I highly recommend the Ronix boot - totally impressed.

Onto the Ronix IBEX 144. I have been riding Hyperlite Byerlys for years, although I have tried many boards including the old Hyperlite Parks and various Premier versions. Let me start by saying the Ronix boards are extremely light, and it makes a differences on inverts for me. Perhaps it's the release off the wake as well, but the flips are so much more effortless and natural with this board. The landings are also incredibly soft and smooth. I found myself being able to go big and land softer and more consistantly with the Parks IBEX than with my 07 Byerly 56" (heavy and slow). I was really amazed by how softly this board lands regardless of how big you go into the flats. The bottom of this board is totally flat and yet the board lands fast so there is no jarring on the landings. Landing tricks also just seems smoother on this board, even compared to the Ronix "One". The board initiates a turn very quickly and holds it up through the wake, as with the old Hyperlite Parks. The board seems to ride lower in the water than the Ronix One and gives you a much more locked down feeling, but still releases off the wake really nicely, and is definitely fast. At the same time it you can break the board loose when you intend to, which I like.

Now for the down side, and I think this may have to do with my riding style. The Bylerly gives you a very straight up pop and you can go really melow into the wake and still get really big pop. With the Ronix IBEX I felt like the board wants me to charge the wake as opposed to floating in for a straigt up pop. Becuase of this I ended up riding 5 feet out more at 80 feet. I think I could even go to 85 with this board. However, I just didn't feel like I was getting the upwards pop I get out of my Byerly. The "One" also felt like I got better straight up pop. I think this is due to the fast nature of the board and something I could get used to riding. I need to ride the IBEX a few more times and report back.

All in all, I think this is a really soft landing board, I think the biggest benefit of this board is that it's very forgiving and just easy to land tricks on. The board also initiates a cut very quickly and locks in that cut, it seems to ride lower in the water than the Ronix "One", and the board gives you a nice up and out pop. It's fast on edge with soft landings, but can break loose when you need it to.

Now, onto the "One" board. I don't think I can do this board justice currenly. Let me explain. If you look at the One 142 you'll see it really has a pointed nose. From point to point it's 142, but he effective edge on each side is less, maybe even like 138 or 139 I would say. I feel like this board rides like a board that is smaller than a 142. Granted, I rode this board in rough water, but I just felt like I was better suited for the 146, which seems like it would have the effective edge of a 142. Since Ronix boards are so light, I think you can get away with riding a larger board and getting a more stable ride, without sacraficing anything. I am going to pick up a 146 and try that. Ineterestingly, the One 146 actually has less overall surface area than the Parks 144 (833 on the One, compared to 852 sq. inches on the IBEX).

So, more on the board. The One has a really, really nice straight up pop. I was very impressed with the pop - at least as much pop as the wider Byerly 56", and more of a straight up pop than the IBEX 142. It also releases really cleanly off the wake. With my back rolls I would get around far, far quicker than with the Byerly, and marginally quicker than the IBEX. The One rides very high up in the water, yet when on edge you can lock it down. The One also lands very softly, much softer than the Byerly and almost as soft as the Parks. The overall carving feel of the One is nice.

There were a few down sides to this board. Since it rides so high in the water it did break loose a couple times when I didn't want it to. My friend who rode it felt the same thing. Mostly when you are edging way outside the wake for a cut, it would break loose just a bit. I remember this same thing happened to me with the Hyperlite Premier of old. Secondly, I would land back a bit on some of my big 180s, and it actually forced me to crash a couple times on a trick that I never crash on. Both of these aspects could be due to the small effective edge on this board. I think these two cons may go away with me riding the 146 board, and if they do, this could potentially be the board of my choice even over the IBEX, based on more of an upwards pop (versus the up and out on the IBEX).

I'll just end with saying that I am incredibly impressed with what Ronix is producing these days. The boots are absolutely sick. I can't imagine a better boot. These boots are custom molded to your feet and that does make the difference. The boards are light as can be. I would highly recommend giving Ronix a try.

(Message edited by mikeporter2000 on September 02, 2007)
Old     (fuller313)      Join Date: Oct 2006       09-02-2007, 11:05 AM Reply   
I don't believe I have seen a "one" board in a size 146.
Old     (mikeporter2000)      Join Date: Oct 2005       09-02-2007, 11:13 AM Reply   
It's new for 2008. They didn't make it in 2007. I'll report back when I ride it.
Old     (makai_surfer)      Join Date: Jun 2007       09-03-2007, 10:45 AM Reply   
I have a pair of the Ronix One boots and I agree they are just plain incredible! There is no other boot made that is as comfortable.

My complaint with Ronix and the boots is they still may lack some of the construction durability that we may all be seeking.

The water environment and heat from the sun here in AZ can probably account for some of the construction issues, but be prepared to see some of the trim pieces coming look where they are glued to the boot.

Other than that, I LOVE the One boots and would not ride another boot!
Old     (hawk7)      Join Date: Apr 2007       09-03-2007, 4:52 PM Reply   
Jerm I Side, not tryin to start a company war, but two weekends ago at the WWA I noticed that about 90% of the riders intermediate and up had the Ronix One.
Old     (ronnyboy27)      Join Date: Nov 2005       09-04-2007, 8:16 AM Reply   
Mike thanks for the report. that's one of the best write ups I've seen on this board.
Old     (mikeporter2000)      Join Date: Oct 2005       09-04-2007, 10:25 AM Reply   
Thanks Ron. Hopefully I'll have some news on the 146 soon.
Old     (bbking)      Join Date: Dec 2006       09-04-2007, 11:53 AM Reply   
http://www.perfski.com/cart.cfm?cart_action=item_info&category_guid=c019d c6b-aa28-4c5e-82f0-ae29c10b271f&item_guid=1d522729-65bf-d230-4438-61edf67c6d71

i don't see a 146....
Old     (mikeporter2000)      Join Date: Oct 2005       09-04-2007, 1:12 PM Reply   
Here is a screen shot from the catalog:Upload
Old     (ronnyboy27)      Join Date: Nov 2005       09-04-2007, 2:24 PM Reply   
ouch.