Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through May 19, 2006

Old     (oaf)      Join Date: Jul 2002       04-26-2006, 10:43 AM Reply   
Ok I am in the market for a tournment boat and have limited to 3 makers. Tige, MC and BU. I am looking at the Tige 22 or 24 Ve, the MC X-15 or X-30, and BU 23 VLX. I have been on and behind the MC's and am very impressed with the boats and workmanship. I wanted to get some opinons of other who own or have been on these boats and the pros and cons of each.
Old     (boarder_x)      Join Date: Mar 2006       04-26-2006, 11:06 AM Reply   
I have a Tige. I love it. I always get compliments, because it does have it's own style. It also has a lifetime guarantee on the hull. I will be buying another one. It weighs more that MC or Bu, so you need less ballast. The 22Ve is a very incredible looking boat. I like the MC, and the Bu, but for the money, like I said, I will get another Tige.

Besides, who wants a boat that everyone else has. ... I like to be original.
Old     (jcv)      Join Date: Oct 2005       04-26-2006, 11:23 AM Reply   
I love Tige's, but I have to get this off my chest:

Weight does not directly influence the wake! People don't add ballast to increase their boat's weight, they add it to sink the boat deeper into the water. Tige's weigh more, yes, but their natural draft is no deeper than everyone else's meaning they have to add just as much ballast, if not more, to sink their boats. The ONLY thing affecting the wake is how much of the hull is submerged and what shape that portion of hull takes. You could build a wakeboard boat that weighs 10,000 lbs., but if the draft is only 16", the wake isn't going to be very good. The extra weight in Tige's do help rough water performance though.
Old     (byrd)      Join Date: Dec 2005       04-26-2006, 11:47 AM Reply   
I own a Mastercraft 05' X-2. Before that I had a 1991 PS190 for 7 years. The boats are built well and I have been happy with both boats.
Old    xtremebordgurl            04-26-2006, 11:56 AM Reply   
I've always been in love with malibu's, so I am biased BUT, I have to say that I think all 3 are great boats in their own right. I guess it depends more on what your looking for. Tige's are great with the taps system because it is easy shape the wake and to use for different occasions, like say someone in the family waterskis, not a prob with the tige. Mastercraft is incredible with their craftmanship, not sure you can really say a bad thin about them, defenitly the cream of the crop but when it comes to price, how much detail is REALLY necessary? Malibu's are my fave cause they have a ton of storage, I like the wedge, and I love their new tower. Also feels really roomy, but thenagain so does the tige. So really, what it boils down to is what are you looking for in a boat and how much are you willing to spend? I can tell you this summer my family is getting our very first wake specific boat and we chose a 23 LSV, plenty of room for the whole family awesome wake, awesome design, lots of storage, etc.
Old     (boomerang)      Join Date: Feb 2006       04-26-2006, 5:13 PM Reply   
We have a 22v and love it!

I think whats more important than the brand of boat that you purchase.
Is the dealer that you choose, Be sure to investigate the dealer.

After checking all the dealers in our area, my choice was a Tige.
Old     (supra24ssv)      Join Date: Mar 2006       04-26-2006, 5:20 PM Reply   
danny is right they are all good boats get the best deal and dealer
Old     (attila916)      Join Date: Oct 2005       04-26-2006, 5:40 PM Reply   
I like my new MC, didn't really like the look of the Tige and kept hitting my head on the tower of the BU.

They are all solid boats as far as I could tell.
Old     (tjdunn)      Join Date: Mar 2006       04-26-2006, 6:30 PM Reply   
I love my Tige' 22 ve. It handles like a dream especially when the water is choppy. The fit and finish is awesome. Seems to have tons of power!
Old    sevenseven            04-26-2006, 6:34 PM Reply   
Just wondering why your not considering a Nautique?
Old     (oaf)      Join Date: Jul 2002       04-26-2006, 7:50 PM Reply   
I don't like the look or styling of the Nautiques. I know they are suppose to be very good boats but they just don't do it for me.

Thanks so far for the input.

I am in So Cal have any of you bought boats here in So Cal and can how was your exprience with the dealers.
Old     (anodyne)      Join Date: Feb 2006       04-26-2006, 8:08 PM Reply   
I own neither, but from experience would give my vote to Mastercraft. I work on many different kinds of boats in my shop, and I have to say that of those 3, Mastercraft has the best built and engineered boat. The precision is stunning.

While Mastercraft may not be as "plush" as Malibu or Tige, it will last longer. The assembly quality of the Mastercraft is a thing of beauty. take a look at the way they do dash assemblies and breaker-boxes.

obviously, the Con of the MC will be price and that it's not as "flowery" as Malibu or Tige. But the lack of depreciation, build quality, and performance more than make up for it, IMO.

Tige's boats throw great wakes, but I did not like the way it pulled (from a driver and riders perspective), and it did not perform well weighted. Malibu has fantastic interiors and great hull designs, I just prefer them less than MC.
Old     (pittsy)      Join Date: Apr 2004       04-26-2006, 8:24 PM Reply   
I vote MasterCraft..that is because i had a bu before i bought a 03' x-star and now i just upgraded to a 06' x-star and love it...IMO there is nothing better than a MC!
Old     (talltigeguy)      Join Date: Sep 2003       04-26-2006, 8:36 PM Reply   
Quote:
Weight does not directly influence the wake! People don't add ballast to increase their boat's weight, they add it to sink the boat deeper into the water.

jeff, that has to be the most illogical statement I've heard in some time. A boat sinks in the water based on its weight, pure and simple. Using your example above, it would be impossible to make a 10,000 pound boat have only a 16 inch draft unless it were 20 feet wide.

Coach, sorry to digress. Most Tige owners who are serious about boarding will put weight in them. I'm usually pretty happy even with the wake unweighted, but I'm not any good. I do weight it if I have the time. I'm on my second Tige and my 3rd will be one too. Some of that has to do with the dealer. Any one of those boats will make you very happy, but a subpar dealer can make it painful under the right circumstances.
Old     (oaf)      Join Date: Jul 2002       04-26-2006, 9:05 PM Reply   
Something just came to my attention. Malibu doesn't consider the trailer standard equipment? So the MSRP is lower but that is without a trailer. Does Tige do this as well? I know MC includes a trailer, is that why their MSRP is higher?
Old     (jcv)      Join Date: Oct 2005       04-27-2006, 6:41 AM Reply   
talltigeguy, you missed my point. obviously, with ballast, it's because of the added weight that the boat sinks down more. but it isn't the weight itself that increases the size of the wake, it's the larger hull dislacement. in that way, weight and wake are indirectly related. for example, if you added 2k lbs. of ballast in the bow of a boat, the wake would not significantly increase (it might even shrink) because it would pull some of the stern out of the water. cut that ballast in half but spread it evenly and you've got a much nicer wake. hull displacement is much more important than total weight. and i know a 10,000 lbs. boat couldn't have a 16" draft, that was a hypothetical. tige's, however, do weigh significantly more but don't have any more hull naturally below the water line than Malibu, MC, or anyone else (because of hull design and width). so no, a boat does not sink deeper in the water based solely on weight like you claim.

"A boat sinks in the water based on its weight, pure and simple."

uh, no. that would only be true given two identically-shaped hulls; the heavier of the two would sit deeper. otherwise, many other factors come into play. in fact, i would rank weight number 2 behind hull shape (flat vs. deep "V" and so forth) in order of draft importance.

(Message edited by JcV on April 27, 2006)
Old     (flackpack)      Join Date: Feb 2004       04-27-2006, 8:14 AM Reply   
Coach - I've bought two Tige's in Southern California, and I now live 1300 miles away. Even from this distance, I will go back to Tige' Watersports in Southern California to buy my next boat. As a dealership, they have always taken great care of me and my family. I really tried hard to buy another boat when I upgraded to my 22V, but my wife reminded me about how well this dealership has treated us over the years.

I love the 22V as a wakeboard boat. As a family boat I can have my kids ride with us and feel comfortable that they are safe and having fun. For great big wakes, you do need ballast just like all other boats, the plus is that Taps is already on the boat to adjust the wake shape and feel.

I have ridden behind almost all other major brand boats, and I can't say that I have any real favorite from any of the other boats. I'm not good enough to be picky about my wake shape.

I really liked the MC X Star I rode behind, but that boat was VERY expensive, and for the price difference, I could never justify the money. The boat was comfortable, and had great design.

The Malibu XLV I rode behind was very nice, and the seats were very soft and comfortable. The wake was very easy to get familiar with, but I just had a feeling the gunwale walls weren't as sturdy as the other boats I had looked at. I know they are just as strong, but it was just a feeling I had while riding in the boat.

Between the three, the deciding factor was partly money and build, but mostly how well I connected with the dealer. They throw a great party every year for their customers in Parker Arizona. They often raffle off a new boat to one lucky customer, and thousands of dollars in free equipment as a thank you for being a supportive customer. I also have always had great service in their shop. My boats always ran great because of their mechanics.

(Message edited by flackpack on April 27, 2006)
Old     (leaks)      Join Date: Oct 2005       04-27-2006, 9:09 AM Reply   
Coach; I have an '05 Tige 24V, and love it. The TAPS system works great for differant levels of riders, and events. I must say that I do like the smooth throttle response of the MC. In the past, I have owned a Centurian, a Cougar, and now a Tige. Best boat so far... TIGE' all the way.

Anyway you end up, all are nice boats. It's basicly going to depend on the creature comforts you like. Good luck with your decision.
Old     (whit)      Join Date: Feb 2001       04-27-2006, 11:13 AM Reply   
Just out of curiosity--are there are multiple Tige owners? i.e. Owned a 2000 Tige, sold it for a 2003 Tige, and flipped again to a 2006?

Everyone loves the boat they own. The true test comes when they sell their current boat--what do they buy next?

(Message edited by whit on April 27, 2006)
Old     (festivus)      Join Date: Jan 2006       04-27-2006, 12:27 PM Reply   
well then, I am on my 4th boat and haven't bought the same one twice. Chaparral, Moomba, Toyota EPic, and now Malibu.
The Moomba always ran great and I like the wake, but the finish was more entry level.
The Epic was incredible, reliable, quiet, unique, great shaped wake, I was just wanting more bells/whistles than it had. If Toyota was still in the biz, I'd have bought a newer model in a heartbeat, but not an option.
Haven't had the Malibu long enough to say yet, but so far so good. Going from the Lexus V-8 in the Epic to an Indmar is a little...different, but I'm sure I'll get used to it.
My good friend has a Tige, and to be honest, I wouldn't buy one, at least not one like his. I think it is an '04 22v. It just seems to have had a lot of ticky-tack problems for a new boat, mostly electrical.
MC is great. Almost bought one.
Old     (kstateskier)      Join Date: May 2002       04-27-2006, 4:58 PM Reply   
I think you will be happy with any of those boats. I am around a lot of different makes of boats, and I have seen boats from every brand have major issues and pretty much the opposite. I have friends that have done promos for different makers as have my parents, and some of the boats are perfect, some are not. I'm a big MC fan, especially lately and am looking at buying one in the near future, but I have seen some crappy build quality out of some MCs. Saying that they are head and shoulders above every one else in build quality is not true. Sure, the MC dealer will point out things they do during the process that are better than competitors, but Malibu and Tige could easily point out things they do in the build process that are better than what MC is doing. The key is to go out and try each boat, look over the build quality and craftsmanship of the boat you want and go for it. These are hand maid items, there are huge difference between different boats of the same model and model year.
Old     (paublo)      Join Date: Jul 2002       04-28-2006, 8:09 AM Reply   
Whit, I am on my second Tige. First an '01 21i and now an '04 22V.

Originally I had an '82 Sea Ray that I bought new. The old Sea Rays were quality and in 19 years it never stranded me. I feel most of the current wakeboard boats are fairly high in quality too. Before I bought my second Tige I went out in everything else. I got to know all the dealers so well I'm still on first name basis when I see them at the boat show. The main reasons for buying another Tige were; deep freeboard and rough water handling, versatility (TAPS does vary the wake and I added 1500# w/ a Rival system and lead), value (product vs. cost), dealer, and some intangibles. It was interesting, I found out that it was an easier decision for my family, than it was for me. For example, not to pick on Malibu but they thought their interior was older looking- outdated and cheap with the carpeted seat bases instead of fiberglass. While I gave the edge to Malibu over Tige on the interior.

I'm sure that I have owner's googles too, but I've never regretted my decision and I know that I get the best service from my dealer. I love that all of the the manufactures keep raising the bar. Competition is good and it gives us choices. They have to earn our business and most do. The one thing that I'd add to what has already been said, never buy on brand alone.
Old     (festivus)      Join Date: Jan 2006       04-28-2006, 10:09 AM Reply   
couldn't agree with Paul more...it is good that all of the competition is continually raising the bar. Try 'em all and buy the one that keeps you up at night.
Old     (whitewookie)      Join Date: Jul 2004       04-28-2006, 2:08 PM Reply   
As far as dealers go, check out Paradise in Murrieta (Malibu Dealer). Go see Chris and Derek. Have them take you out for a demo at Elsinore. They are in the process of building a huge state of the art new shop and service center there. Great boats and a great dealership.
Old     (talltigeguy)      Join Date: Sep 2003       04-28-2006, 5:47 PM Reply   
Jeff,

Thanks for your response. I think my post came across a little rude when I went back and reread it. Thanks for not being inflammatory.

I think you mean water displacement where you say 'hull displacement'. The hull stays the same, whereas it is the displacement or movement of the water that creates the wake. Malibu in recent years has increased the width of their boats to be able to compete in roominess with the likes of Tige. If I recall right, the beam of the 23 foot Malibu is the same as a Tige 24V.
Old     (jcv)      Join Date: Oct 2005       04-28-2006, 6:31 PM Reply   
talltigeguy,

yep, i meant water displacement caused by the hull. thanks. and you're right, other than the x-15, all the boats in this discussion are wide, so they'd all require similiar amounts of ballast for an awesome wake. i'm unfamiliar with the smaller line of tige boats; do they make a boat with a narrow beam (below 94") that still weighs 4000+ lbs.? if so, i bet it would make a pretty nice unweighted wake.
Old     (faceplanter69)      Join Date: Mar 2006       04-30-2006, 9:25 AM Reply   
What Anodyne said,

"I own neither, but from experience would give my vote to Mastercraft. I work on many different kinds of boats in my shop, and I have to say that of those 3, Mastercraft has the best built and engineered boat. The precision is stunning.

While Mastercraft may not be as "plush" as Malibu or Tige, it will last longer. The assembly quality of the Mastercraft is a thing of beauty. take a look at the way they do dash assemblies and breaker-boxes.

obviously, the Con of the MC will be price and that it's not as "flowery" as Malibu or Tige. But the lack of depreciation, build quality, and performance more than make up for it, IMO.

Tige's boats throw great wakes, but I did not like the way it pulled (from a driver and riders perspective), and it did not perform well weighted. Malibu has fantastic interiors and great hull designs, I just prefer them less than MC."

There are so many factors to what you like and dislike about boats. Style, graphics, hull, wake ect. One thing you can't dispute is how the boat is put together.

I've worked on so many different boats myself and I think Anodyne summed it up perfectly. Malibu spends a lot of time on their interior, it's soft, plush and super comfortable. The attention to detail of what you can see is one of the best for sure. However, once you dig deeper and see the actual construction of the BU it doesn't stand up to the MC or CC.

You can also argue that most owners haven't had a problem with the BU construction and it's fine. I'd agree with that as well, I think the MC and CC are probably over built for what they actually do on the water.

In all reality, each of those boat builders builds a quality boat. Over time though, the MC I think will just last longer and feel far more solid then the BU, which is why a 6-7 year old MC seems to fetch a bit more cash down the road.

Why BU doesn't mold their seat boxes is a mystery to me. I'm thinking it has to be cost or why wouldn't they do it? It seems every other boat company does it now? It would just help make that boat feel so much more solid in the long run.

As for the Tige, I haven't seen many in our area so I really can't comment much on them.

If I was to spend my hard earned cash on the above three companies. I'd go with the MC as well. 90's MC were a little bit suspect but what they're putting out these days is really quite a bit a head of their competition when it comes to the construction of their boats.
Old     (boomerang)      Join Date: Feb 2006       04-30-2006, 12:01 PM Reply   
"I own neither"

"Tige's boats throw great wakes, but I did not like the way it pulled (from a driver and riders perspective), and it did not perform well weighted."

"As for the Tige, I haven't seen many in our area so I really can't comment much on them."

DUH HUH
Old    stevie211            04-30-2006, 1:12 PM Reply   
all really good boats , its just witch one you like the best, i cant say anything bad about any of them good luck
Old    live2wakeboard            04-30-2006, 8:21 PM Reply   
MALIBU!!!!
Old     (akdoc)      Join Date: Feb 2004       05-02-2006, 8:17 PM Reply   
Don't go with Tige if you want it this summer. We have been waiting on our boat for 12 weeks. They told us 5-6 when we ordered it!!!
Old     (fullspeed)      Join Date: Oct 2005 Location: Santa Cruz County CA       05-02-2006, 8:53 PM Reply   
Malibu rocks, the 06 vlx handles so good, tight turns. Nice rampy wakes and the look is pretty much sick. I am a Malibu man. Second one. The LSV is an awsome boat. Malibu can't go wrong.
Brannon
Old     (trump)      Join Date: Mar 2002       05-02-2006, 9:21 PM Reply   
Test drive all three boats and take the dealership into account. Then if you still can't decide on which boat .... go with the Malibu.
Old     (boomerang)      Join Date: Feb 2006       05-03-2006, 4:26 AM Reply   
KJ,
You will be stoked when it arrives!

Nothing on the water compares.

Every one in the boat will have a deep comfortable seat, instead of those short shallow ones found in most ski boats.

When you need a little more wake just touch the TAPS button and there it is, no pumping dirty water inside your new boat.

When the water gets rough, the deep V hull rides like a dream.

And if you ever have a problem with the fiberglass they will give ya a new boat!

You made the right decision, and it is probably taking so long to get your boat because a lot of others made the same decision.

What boat and options did you get?

Old     (akdoc)      Join Date: Feb 2004       05-03-2006, 6:47 AM Reply   
Danny,

I really do think we made the right decision. It is just hard to wait double the time....again. THis is the second time it has happened.

Ok, for the positive stuff.

We ordered a 24ve, all platinum with a pacific blue second main panel. Here are the options we got:

340 HP Vortec, w/ synchrotec.
Gray dash
Tige speed set cruise
stainless package
limited graphics
swivel racks
windscreen
1800 lb. rival ballast system

I am doing the stereo,
Factory 6 kicker speakers with CMD4
15" RE SX sub with Hifonics 1200 watts amp
Custom hlcd tower speakers getting 150 watts RMS each.
Clarion 7 band EQ

Double axle trailer.

It will be great when it comes in.

Sorry to steal the thread. But honestly if you go with a tige make sure you have word from the FACTORY that you have a production slot. To expedite the process you may want to drive down and pick up your boat when it is done.

Old     (boomerang)      Join Date: Feb 2006       05-03-2006, 7:00 AM Reply   
Man that sounds sweet.
We wanted the 22ve but it was out of our budget.
ours is a 22v, since we had the boat we have purchased the Tige swivel racks. I am going to install them this week, they are sweet.

Our boat has an awesome factory sound system already installed 600 watts with 10" sub. But I have ordered 600 watts for the tower and 4 of the 8" Bazooka tower speakers for now. (maybe I can upgrade tower speakers next year) It will be awesome when it arrives.
Post some pics.

Danny
Old     (boarder_x)      Join Date: Mar 2006       05-03-2006, 7:31 AM Reply   
Danny,

Can you list the options you got, and a ball park figure for price. I am looking to upgrade from the 20i. I am just wondering what to expect to pay, with which options. I am hoping to get a 22Ve, but like you, that may be just a little too much.

Robb
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       05-03-2006, 7:47 AM Reply   
"Every one in the boat will have a deep comfortable seat, instead of those short shallow ones found in most ski boats.

When you need a little more wake just touch the TAPS button and there it is, no pumping dirty water inside your new boat."

}}}

Old     (will5150)      Join Date: Oct 2002       05-03-2006, 9:12 AM Reply   
Coach- as you can see, you're getting a ton of different opinions. Bottom line- they're all good. I looked at the same three when I bought my boat and at the time (2001) the Malibu was not nearly the boat it is today. The Mastercraft was sold by a ding dong dealer- that was losing the line and they were giving them away (not really- but the prices were falling fast) and the Tige dealer was trying to sell his last boat in stock ( I bought it on July 31st, 2001- good time to buy if you can hold out), SO I got a killer deal in a fully loaded boat from a dealer that knew what he was selling. One thing I might ask for on the next go-around is a list of repeat customers and CALL a few to discuss service after the sale. My experience was good, but we've moved now and if I buy another boat anytime soon I will definitley ask for this. Also, if I were looking to buy a new boat, I would definitely look at the Tige again - and also the Malibu- it will ultimately come down to price and service as I think boat boats are excellent and put out great wakes. I personally don't like the Mastercraft product they're making today- but that's just me. Good luck and test everything- including boarding or skiing behind them.
Old     (boomerang)      Join Date: Feb 2006       05-03-2006, 2:20 PM Reply   
Robb,
That back seat on the VE rocks...
Only true wakeboard boat....
Gives you a seat to strap on the board...

Awesome Boat.
Old     (pilot_ryder)      Join Date: Apr 2006       05-03-2006, 6:44 PM Reply   
another vote for tige here, in rough water the 22ve is unbelievable!
and lots of (anti tige) people, believe that due to there heavy dryweight that they will be crap on gas while towing and driving but thats incorrect i dont know how they do it but they tow really well not like a 4000lbs boat and there fuel economy is also very comparable to all others if not better than some other equally sized boats.
Old     (tjdunn)      Join Date: Mar 2006       05-04-2006, 7:57 PM Reply   
That seat is awesome isn't it! So is the walk thru transom!!!
Old     (boarder_x)      Join Date: Mar 2006       05-07-2006, 10:43 AM Reply   
Coach,

So have you decided yet, what you are going to get? ... Inquiring minds want to know. LOL
Old     (oaf)      Join Date: Jul 2002       05-07-2006, 1:04 PM Reply   
I have gone at got a good look at each boat now. The Tige 22 and 24 Ve, Mastercraft X-15 and X-30, and the Malibu 23 LSV and 247 LSV.

I like the Tige Hull design but the workmanship of the interor is terrible. The fit and finish of the boat looked cheap and thrown together.

The Mastercraft I like a lot. I am leaning towards a X-30 over the 15 due to so many features that are on the 30 and not on the 15. I like the depth of the boat and the workmanship is top notch. I thought the rear engine panels were a bit flimsy and didn't like the fact that to move the drivers seat towards the back you have to move it up. The location of the wake plate switch is in a poor location, it should be on the steering wheel. I really like the snap out carpeting and walk through on the back of the boat as well. Mastercraft is different than the other dealers in price when it comes to buy on the lot vs ordering a custom boat. I found they will charge more vs buying one in their inventory as Malibu and Tige will not.

Malibu makes a sweet boat as well. I really like the vinyl covered dash and the gages with the easy to read computer in front. The carpet was ok and not as nice as the rest of the boat. The fit and finish was top notch and the constuction was solid. The one thing pushing me away from the 23 LSV is the front ballast tank which makes the bow a playpin vs a walk through. I am not some big time wakeboarder so I am looking for a good family boat to board behind and still have many people along to cruse. The Malibu drivers seat was the most comfortable in the group. The Illusion X tower needs to be about 4" taller IMO. I like the vision with the Illusion tower. I liked the location of the grab handles and cup holders but don't like the speaker sticking out in the middle (minor). The 247 is a beast and I really like the boat, I just think it might be too big and cost too much. The other thing I don't like with the Malibu is the walk through shield that slides in place. I think Mastercraft has done it right where it folds up into the mold of the boat and is easy to use at any time.

All in all my order is this for now. X-30, 24 LSV, 23 LSV, X-15, 22Ve

I am going to be demoing each of the boats coming up so I can see how each handles, plus I will take my handheld GPS to see the real speeds these boats can do.

Thanks for all of the input so far and keep adding any info you have.