Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through September 23, 2004

Old    blondey            09-09-2004, 12:39 PM Reply   
Can anyone tell me their experience with the Calabria boats? We are looking at a '02 and '03. I've heard they are very roomy and great wake behind them? True??? Also, what's a good price for one? Malibu's are out of our price range. Also, how is the warranty coverage on them? Is the warrany honored by this company with little hassle??? Thanks much~
Old     (phaeton)      Join Date: Feb 2002       09-09-2004, 1:41 PM Reply   
Our first Calabria a Cal-Air we put 0ver 230 hours on with no problems. Great boat we just moved up to the Pro-V. We have almost 270 hours on our Pro-V with no real issues. The rear seat started to tear at the seam. We took it back to the factory and they made new seat cusions for the whole boat. The wake is big very big. All you need is the factory ballast for a big wake if you want a really big wake add about 600 more pounds and your set.

Old     (calabria_man)      Join Date: Aug 2004       09-09-2004, 1:54 PM Reply   
The Calabria boats are awesome. I'm actuall trying to sell my 04 XTS rightnow so I can moveinto the pro v. I got to ride behind the pro v and it does have an incredible wake. My XTS's wake is great when you load it down. I usually put 2 600 fat sacs and the wake is huge. I have 299 hours on my boat now and have had not one problem. The 05 Pro V's have the black scorpion motor and calabria also started putting in thicker vinal on the interior. Great Boat!!!!
Old     (bbr)      Join Date: Apr 2002       09-09-2004, 4:05 PM Reply   
I don't think they are good boats at all. For the money that you spend on a new one, you could buy a Malibu, which is a much better boat. Sure they are roomy, but any boat that is 23 ft will be. They drive like they have an anchor tied to them, and they cavitate like crazy. I wouldn't take one if it was given to me. Look for a used Malibu, you can find them in great condition, low hours, and most warranties will transfer. Just my opinion.
Old     (sydwayz)      Join Date: Mar 2003       09-09-2004, 5:50 PM Reply   
We are on our second Calabria too. First Calabria was a VTS, move up to the Pro V. We love the boat. Lots of storage and very roomy. Handles very well. Wake is very nice in all weight conditions. Factory is very friendly and personable. What problems Calabrias have are few and minor.

Most anti-Calabria people always complain about the wake or how the boat drives. As Phaeton stated, the Pro V doesn't need alot of extra ballast to make a great wake. Where the problems come when you add ALOT of weight. We added an additional 1500# to pull local competitions. Wake was huge but you would need to reprop the boat. And cavitation(prop spinning faster than the boat) happens with any boat with that much weight turning sharp.

True the Malibu is a nice boat. But the Pro V
wins.
Old    martini            09-09-2004, 6:08 PM Reply   
i tend to agree with Brandon...sorry,

however, i would look for a used Nautique...as they have the best wake,construction,warrenty,drive ability...etc.

heather-talk to me this weekend, i'll be back @ castaic...

Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       09-09-2004, 6:09 PM Reply   
i concur w/ brandon and pete.
Old     (bbr)      Join Date: Apr 2002       09-09-2004, 6:36 PM Reply   
Thank you boys. Much love....
Old    walt            09-09-2004, 6:54 PM Reply   
Brandon, How do You really feel ?
Old     (dgarland0)      Join Date: Apr 2003       09-09-2004, 7:13 PM Reply   
I am not here to bash any boat or person here, but I will say that we got a Cal-Air this February and love it. We ski and board and the Cal-Air is fantastic for both. Have had no problems, have almost 50 hrs on it to this point. We looked at used Mastercrafts, Nautiques, Malibus, and new Moombas. All were fine boats and had their own advantages and disadvantages, but none matched what we were able to get from Calabria. Look around, talk to reps from factories, and demo boats, but as you do this make sure you include Calabria. Hope this helps! Most importantly enjoy the expereince!

DG
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       09-09-2004, 7:21 PM Reply   
that's the good thing about cal-air...it's good for skiing.

(no, i'm not bashing. if you're going to ski as well, do what dave said to do...demo the calabria)
Old     (wakestar8878)      Join Date: Oct 2003       09-10-2004, 9:48 AM Reply   
I think its a very nice and well constructed boat, but it lacks in the wake department.
Old    martini            09-10-2004, 12:35 PM Reply   
brandon-

are you the same guy we did a profile on in Alliance...or maybe it was bluetorch???
Old     (sydwayz)      Join Date: Mar 2003       09-10-2004, 1:37 PM Reply   
"Lacks in the wake department".....OK

Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       09-10-2004, 1:46 PM Reply   
that wake looks kinda small. long transition, but short in height. maybe the chop isn't doing it any justice.
Old     (bbr)      Join Date: Apr 2002       09-10-2004, 3:42 PM Reply   
Pete,
don't think so, but you are welcome to do one. I'd be all for it.
Old     (tommyc)      Join Date: Nov 2003       09-10-2004, 3:44 PM Reply   
I have a friend, Jimmy Wolf, that rides for Calabria. He says his boat is loaded, the wake is gigantic. Jimmy trows 9's off the wake, he is not lying. He is a competitive riders and rides behing all the boats. He says he can make his wake the best of them all. Go figure!
Old    martini            09-10-2004, 4:11 PM Reply   
Brandon-nice...i'm not with them anymore...but i'll put in a good for ya...

TConway-maybe mr.wolf says the wakes the best because he's paid to do so???? i'm just sayin...

Old    rypayne            09-11-2004, 10:17 PM Reply   
The Pro-V is a great boat, but so are wakesetters. I don't think you would be dissapointed with either. A nautique though, there isn't much room and the wake is like running into a wall, there isn't a transition. I don't like it one bit. It may be different with a few thousand pounds in there, but they are way over rated. says I.
Old    akman            09-12-2004, 6:18 AM Reply   
Ryan, If you think Nautiques are way over-rated then you haven't been in one that was sacked down correctly. They don't need a few thousand pounds 1500 will do, the wake will be clean, with nice transition and it won't feel like a brick wall.

Once you ride behind one a few times it won't feel so abrubt or steep.

just my .02
Old    rypayne            09-12-2004, 7:37 PM Reply   
I suppose it's possable, but I have been behind a few sante's and its the same each time. With a calabria or malibu you are sure to have a good wake every time. just a fact
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       09-12-2004, 9:54 PM Reply   

quote:

With a calabria or malibu you are sure to have a good wake every time. just a fact

not all the time in a calabria. i actually got a good wake everytime behind a vlx as well as a super air. just my experience.
Old    tombugg            09-13-2004, 2:30 PM Reply   
The Calabria ProV is the Official Tow Boat of the AWA and it has done an incredible job. We have been quite happy with it. Great fit and Finnish, It's huge, and the wake is killer.. What else could you ask for??
Old     (blabel)      Join Date: Jul 2001       09-13-2004, 2:38 PM Reply   
Ryan, the wake isn't for everyone. While it's definitely my favorite, it's by far the hardest wake to ride, IMO.
Old     (salmon_tacos)      Join Date: Jan 2003       09-13-2004, 2:48 PM Reply   
I don't know, the few times I've ridden behind Super Airs, I found the wakes pretty easy to ride. They didn't really take any getting used to, even though my usual ride was a rampy I/O. Same for a Malibu VLX. Those Supra SSV's, on the other hand...damn. Those things always kick my ass if I'm not careful. I like 'em...but they're dangerous!

...I haven't been behind a Calabria.
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       09-13-2004, 2:59 PM Reply   
Oh, I love jumping into the debates.....Best board, best boat, best riders. He, he.

I have a really hard time finding boats that I don't like when they are weighted properly. I've got to say that I've ridden behind a pro-v with a wake that was wicked to say the least. It was very heavily weighted. We have 12 guys (read: not small guys) and 2 600 sacs in the front running end to end down the center of the boat, and the factory ballast full. The wake was huge with the longest transitions I've ever seen. It didn't give you the straight up pop of a Nautique, but it gave you a ton of hang time and was really smooth to ride up (I say the wake was most similar to a loaded down "new" X-Star.

The downside: The boat was a pig. With the standard motor it was really under powered and you had to move people to get it off plane. Also, with that much weight in the boat the front becomes very low and rather difficult to keep dry.

That said, I'd ride behind one anyday. There aren't too many boats that I wouldn't ride behind. As far as ownership goes.... Demo some boats. For the price and size I'd look into used Malibu LSV's or VLX's and I'd also consider Sanger 215's and 230's.