Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through May 29, 2009

Old     (pronuke)      Join Date: Apr 2009       05-27-2009, 10:44 AM Reply   
I am looking at a used Hurricane with the 350 Merc in it for under 30K. To be honest this seems to be right in the middle of the pack as far as NADA puts it. The stereo is pretty nice but what really concerns me is buying a wakeboard boat (for me) and still having it function as a slalom boat for my wife. It looks like its got most of the options but just wanted to get some opinions before I see if I can get a test drive on it.

Comments?
Old     (masonwakerider)      Join Date: May 2003       05-27-2009, 11:02 AM Reply   
if it has the bennet trim tab its better but the boat has a rather deep v hull so don't a expect DD ski boat wake. The wake board wake is decent with a some weight, it is on the the steeper side. My profile picture is about 2000lbs going 25mph around 75ft. The surf wake is awesome for its size and price. We have 850hrs on our 2001 centurion and it has performed well no problems with the merc, a new alt and starter and regular tune ups thats it.
Old     (treycleaton)      Join Date: Mar 2005       05-27-2009, 12:57 PM Reply   
Not a great ski boat. Even with the trim tabs fully engaged it still has a little wake that a skier would find annoying. However it is a great, and underrated wakeboard boat IMO. It has a steep, narrow wake that boots even with no weight. The hull is supposed to be designed for crossover ski and wake, but it is definitely built to make a wake. I have had my Hurricane for two seasons now and I love it. Do youself a favor and change the impeller immediately if it has not already been changed. it seems to need replacement each season. How many hours does it have?
Old     (pronuke)      Join Date: Apr 2009       05-27-2009, 1:09 PM Reply   
The boat that we used to use was a 89 Seaswirl with a 120HP outboard and it had a little wake on it even at high speeds so Im guessing that it is comparable in size ski wake wise. The boat has around 125 hours on it and does have the trim tab but its a manual adjustment. Also the thing has 4 6X9 tower speakers, and two JL 12" subs, and two amps in addition to all the interior speakers with one battery.......little underpowered i would say.

I talked to the guy and am going to try and take it out this weekend for a test run. We will see what kind of wake it throws, more worried about the ski wake then the wakeboard wake. Im sure that it does just fine there for a newbie like me.

(Message edited by pronuke on May 27, 2009)
Old     (elc)      Join Date: Jan 2008       05-27-2009, 1:25 PM Reply   
Depends on how far under 30k. I would think you could pick an 02 up now for around 25k.

(Message edited by elc on May 27, 2009)
Old     (pronuke)      Join Date: Apr 2009       05-27-2009, 1:41 PM Reply   
He is asking 29K but that is what he owes on the loan to the bank. I doubt I can talk him down that much and he will throw in the wakeboards, ropes, tubes, and everything else that he has. Still got to drive it and ride behind it first and see if its what we want. I can get an 07 brand new with stock options down at the local dealer for 46K plus taxes but that doesnt really matter if i cant afford the payment on it.
Old     (etakk7)      Join Date: Apr 2006       05-27-2009, 2:15 PM Reply   
I know this is not the issue at hand, but I'm seeing 2001/2 X-Stars selling for $25k. $29k is really high on a 2002 Centurian. Also, somebody might correct me if I'm wrong, but the 205V hull (X-Star through 2002) was an AWSA approved hull for skiing.
Old     (bmartin)      Join Date: Jan 2007       05-27-2009, 4:20 PM Reply   
I'm with Erik, there are much much better deals out there. I've been seeing new 08 rigs for $35K.
Old     (treycleaton)      Join Date: Mar 2005       05-27-2009, 5:59 PM Reply   
Agreed, a little high for an 02, see if you can talk him down to NADA.