Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through December 15, 2008

Old     (robvtx)      Join Date: Feb 2007       10-26-2008, 3:25 PM Reply   
ok, i do like my sideswipe but has anyone figured out a way to quit it down. its fun to have a good sounding boat but only about 50% of the time. any help or suggestions would be great
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       10-26-2008, 5:00 PM Reply   
http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/87668/626078.html
Ed has been working on his but hasn't succeeded yet.
Old     (cbk)      Join Date: Aug 2006       10-26-2008, 8:17 PM Reply   
When underway just run it out of one side. It helps quite a bit!
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       10-29-2008, 7:23 PM Reply   
See this thread too. http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/87668/578696.html?1212179450

I agree with Nate, one is more quite than two. I have a pair of inline silencers that I installed. One per side wasn't enough of an improvement for me. Two on one side was pretty good but the performance loss was noticeable.

I paid about $120 for a pair of silencers. If you’re interested I’d sell the pair for $50.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       10-29-2008, 7:46 PM Reply   
Sideswipe = FAIL
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       10-29-2008, 8:26 PM Reply   
The concept is a winner but the noise is unbearable for hours at a time.
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       10-29-2008, 8:42 PM Reply   
Side Swipe does exactly what it’s supposed to do. That's a Win. I surfed behind a Hammer Head equipped LSV with about 3,000 pounds of ballast once. I thought I was going to be sick. The fumes and CO exposure was awful.

However, Side Swipe is too noisy for my taste. I had FAE on my last boat. FAE is equally effective at reducing CO exposure for surfing. By contrast FAE is very, very quite. I miss my FAE and there's simply no way one to adapt my new boat.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       10-29-2008, 8:57 PM Reply   
If your using Sideswipe for surfing its great.
Where it Fail's is It should have the ability to be auto switched back to a traditional exhaust. Most off shore boats have the ability to make the exhaust exit threw the outdrive=(Quite)and then switched to straight exhaust=(Loud).

I couldn't see beeing on a boat all day long with sideswipe blasting.
Old     (silverwake)      Join Date: May 2007       10-30-2008, 7:54 AM Reply   
When we first became a Centurion dealer, I asked them that same thing. The response was that you could either have a captain's call type option or be able to switch the side you wanted the exhaust to exit but not both. Something with the valve being too complicated to have all three options, I guess. It certainly would be nice though.
Old     (cbk)      Join Date: Aug 2006       10-30-2008, 8:42 AM Reply   
"Sideswipe = fail" You just said that it's great for surfing so how does it equal fail? I think that it is great for surfing as well and I would definitely have to be a 70% or more surfer before I would have it, I just don't agree that it is a failure. Just my .02, you are allowed to have your opinion as well.
Old     (fatsac)      Join Date: Jun 2004       10-30-2008, 9:09 AM Reply   
Why not captain's call with exhaust routed through stern flaps when turned on? Those flaps could have the FAE mounted like any other boat. Maybe I'm being king of the obvious but it doesn't seem that tough to do.
Old     (bsebllhglyknit)      Join Date: Jul 2007       10-30-2008, 10:02 AM Reply   
There is alot of negative stuff about the sideswipe. We have no problem with it what so ever. It doesnt bug us. If were worried about having a conversation we turn down the music. The solution to not hearing the sideswipe is 4 Pro 80's and a 485. :-)
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       10-30-2008, 10:35 AM Reply   
I say Fail because. The whole time your on the boat you have to listen to the exhaust loaping along, Except when your surfing. If it could be switched on and off i would be all for it. Their was a Wakecraft with sideswipe exhaust at the lake a few week's back. It's nice a quite at the lake now. You could hear the exhaust from that boat 1/2 across the lake. People were Wakeboarding and the sideswipe was out of the water blaring away and it looked and sounded like a POS Harley Davidson making all this noise going no where. I was talking to a few people when it came by and the people I was talking to had no idea what sideswipe was/is they were like WTF is wrong with that boat? Why is is so loud? I explained it to them and they were like Why would anyone like or want that? LOL I guess your right to each his own.
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       10-30-2008, 10:50 AM Reply   
I couldn't agree more. That was my biggest complaint with the original Epic boat.

The exhaust on our boat is loud too, but at least it's out the back and not obnoxious when you're in the boat cruising. It's also nice that it's quiet at idle when the tips drop below the waterline.

Sideswipe is a good idea, but so-far it's been poor execution.
Old     (cbk)      Join Date: Aug 2006       10-30-2008, 11:22 AM Reply   
"G" To each his own is exactly what I am saying...no different than someone liking to play basketball and not liking football. Just an opinion.

I have had the same thoughts as (fatsac). Make it a choice. It already has a switch for port or starboard. I say add another switch that is for hull or side. Then the problem is solved. I will be at the factory for training next week and will mention it.
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       10-30-2008, 4:14 PM Reply   
The valve is a simple butterfly. I haven’t looked at adding a CC set out the back and haven’t measured for such an option. My guess is that a pair of valves runs $500. Add $50 to $100 in 4 inch marine plumbing and you’d have SS and CC. Then you’d need a pair of rear exhaust outlets and flappers. You’d also need to add the switch, fuse and wiring.

Boat manufacturers have to certify their various configurations. Another expense, maybe that’s why Centurion doesn’t offer Captains Call

That said I'm not going to attempt to make a Captains call SS.
Old     (freshtracks)      Join Date: Feb 2006       10-30-2008, 4:19 PM Reply   
uhh guys, it's QUIET, not quit, or quite........
Old     (wotan)      Join Date: Jul 2008       10-31-2008, 11:39 AM Reply   
Can anyone tell me why no company has come up with an option to run the exhaust out the bottom of the boat instead of the transom? Seems like it would solve all of the problems.
Old     (gti2lo)      Join Date: Nov 2005       10-31-2008, 4:23 PM Reply   
Anyone ever thought about putting in one of those domestic 3-4" diameter pre-mufflers or something like it?

I know they are stainless steel and such.. not sure how it do in the marine environment... heck replace every season.. can't be that expensive?

I had one of these and a muffler on my 450whp turbo 95 GTI... whisper quiet for a striaght pipe 3" exhaust...

http://vibrantperformance.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=1021_1033_1055&products_id= 47&osCsid=04a4b7a1113a5ce2efa727b18daccacc
Description: Ultra Quiet Resonator, 3" inlet/oulet
Material: T304 Stainless Steel
MSRP ($US): $104.95
Warranty: Five Year Limited Warranty

Notes: - Vibrant's Ultra Quiet Resonator utilizes a larger sound absorption chamber for better sound suppression than typical bottle style resontors.

- Feature Vibrant's "True Straight Through" perforated core, surrounded by our premium multi-layer sound absorption materials.

- Originally designed to help eliminate the "rifling" noise that is common with most 6 cyl. and 8 cyl. vehicles equipped with straight through performance exhaust systems.

Resonator Specs
-----------------

Inlet Diameter: 3"
Outlet Diameter: 3"
Resonator Size: 4.5" x 6.75" Oval Body, 10" Long
Overall Length: 14"

Upload
Old     (westsiderippa)      Join Date: Dec 2006       10-31-2008, 4:37 PM Reply   
even, your guys boat = bad ass, i will listen to that 8.1 rumble all day. but the side swipe is just, well like grant said a failure.
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       10-31-2008, 5:13 PM Reply   
So Greg, you didn't look at the other WW links above, right?

At the 2008 Crush the Ice for Life wakeboard event, benefiting the American Cancer Society in Rome, Indiana, a lot of folks on shore said that they liked the sound of my boat and Make Weikel's boat.

There are a lot of big boats on local lakes some with side ported exhaust. Those boaters pay extra to be heard. Buy SS for safety first.

As far as a failure I think your exaggerating.
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       10-31-2008, 5:35 PM Reply   
Greg, there are some straight through mufflers with high grade stainless steel wool as a baffling material but those cost much more. Other sound absorbing materials also absorb water and are not suitable for a water cooled exhaust. Sideswipe gets the CO away from the surfer and, other than FAE, there is not another system that tries to do that.
Man, these trick or treaters keep coming to my door and make it hard to get this typed.
Old     (mcmillanman5)      Join Date: Apr 2006       10-31-2008, 8:21 PM Reply   
We have the sideswipe on our boat, for surfing it rocks. When we wakeboard it gets really old. I agree with the above post that if you only run it out one side it is quieter than out both but it is still too loud. I think that it would be spectacular if Centurion would offer a third position out the back, I realize that this would add expense but I for one would pay for that option.

We only surf on the port side of our boat, I have wondered if one could sever the port side exhaust, cap off the outlet to seal it off. Then reroute the "port" exhuast directly out the transom of the boat under the swimdeck like a standard exhaust. It seems to me like this may solve the problem, when surfing you could shut the rear (port) exhaust off and the fumes would go out the starboard side. When you wanted to wakeboard just flip the swith to the port exhaust and the fumes/noise goes out the back of the boat.

Some issues may be:

1. Possible loss in performance or engine damage due to rerouting the exhaust?

2. Resale value of the boat (not everyone only surfs the port side)
Old     (wmk)      Join Date: Oct 2005       10-31-2008, 9:04 PM Reply   
I despise my sideswipe and can't wait to replace my boat with something new with FAE added. I didn't find the sound to be quite so aggravating until i started really hanging around with a lot of friends who have non sideswipe equipped boats.
Old    walt            11-01-2008, 9:51 AM Reply   

quote:

Sideswipe is a good idea, but so-far it's been poor execution.

I agree that the idea was good but there's no way I could deal with the noise all day long.
Old     (gti2lo)      Join Date: Nov 2005       11-01-2008, 1:53 PM Reply   
I saw the other posts... just thought that something like the part i mentioned would produce better "muffling"

I am sure there are products with stainless packing... definetly hold up better in a marine environment.
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       11-01-2008, 2:22 PM Reply   
I'd worry about packing trapping gunk and clogging up.

In my estimate if you want SS noise to go away when your not surfing you need another set of exhaust outlets out the stern. Otherwise learn to deal with SS if you've got it.
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       11-14-2008, 5:06 PM Reply   
Side Swipe is now available with a built in muffler. Sounds like the modification can be retrofitted on existing systems.

There are some pictures at the CC.com web site

http://www.centurioncrew.com/side-swipe-noise-t84.html&st=60&start=60
Old     (famlyboader)      Join Date: Aug 2006       11-14-2008, 5:38 PM Reply   
The way I see it,if you dont like it ---trade for another one that has exhaust out the back. I love the side swipe on mine and have heard no neg remarks about it . hell if your ridin your...or we are blastin radio anyway--no difference...but I bet you line up 10 boats of any kind and start them up ...people are going to turn and LOOK at the Centurion with the sideswipe exhaust!!!! sorry but im old school and love to here a v-8 rumble.
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       11-14-2008, 5:48 PM Reply   
That's an expensive option. Figure you loose $5,000 to $10,000 buying another boat. There's no way your going to get an even trade. I think SS is something like a $600 to $1,000 option. Adding the muffler would have to be less than buying the whole system.
Old     (famlyboader)      Join Date: Aug 2006       11-14-2008, 6:34 PM Reply   
good point show...didnt these people test drive these things before buying?
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       11-14-2008, 6:57 PM Reply   
I didn't test drive before I bought my boat. Over the summer of 2007 I tried to get a ride behind an Enzo. I even ran two wakesurfing competitions and invited Centurion to both. There just aren't many Enzos in Ohio and so there were none for the competitions.

So, in the spring of ‘08 bought my ’06 Enzo purely on the reputation of the surfing wake. I saved a lot buying a two year old boat. That boat came equipped with Side Swipe. I wouldn’t have ordered a new boat with SS.

The Enzo surf wake reputation is well earned. It’s very easy to make a stellar surf wake on the port side of the Enzo. It only takes about 1,500 pounds. I used as much as 3,000 pounds on my old boat.

I am very interested in the new Side Swipe muffler. Let’s call it Silent Swipe. I really appreciate that Centurion stepped up and met the request of more than a few owners.
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       11-14-2008, 7:02 PM Reply   
I drove to TN to pick up my boat.

(Message edited by Bigshow on November 14, 2008)
Old     (robvtx)      Join Date: Feb 2007       11-14-2008, 9:48 PM Reply   
i agree i think it will be a great option for people who already own boats with Sideswipe. trading a boat seems a little to much espically with the economy and price loss for those who purchased new boats. i really enjoy my sideswipe but when its family and not friends on there with you its a little to much
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       11-15-2008, 9:51 AM Reply   
If I had a Sideswipe boat I would simply get rid of it. Sure it might cost $3k+ to repair the glass on the sides but it would be cheaper than replacing the boat. It's not that hard to run the pipes out the back and add FAE.
Old     (duffymahoney)      Join Date: Sep 2008       11-15-2008, 10:10 AM Reply   
Heres a crazy idea, don't get rid of the cutouts. Put huge electronic gate valves attached to your enzo sacs on each side. Hit the drain switch underway and drain the enzo sac in 15 seconds! Then re-route the exhaust out the back and put an fae on. So now you would have a 1400# surf sac that drains in seconds and a muffled boat.

Duff
Old     (mcmillanman5)      Join Date: Apr 2006       11-17-2008, 10:23 AM Reply   
I am very excited to see how the new quieter ss works/sounds. For us we really liked how the boat sounded when we first got it, and we also surfed the majority of the time the first year. Now we are back to wakeboarding alot more and get tired of the noise. I think it is kind of like a harley or anything else with a loud exhaust, when you start it up it sounds tough and good but midway through a long road trip or drive and the noise gets old.
Old     (krbaugh)      Join Date: Mar 2002       11-17-2008, 2:52 PM Reply   
pop quiz what is the problem with draining ballast with exshaust from a boat
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       11-17-2008, 6:24 PM Reply   
Huh?
Old     (mbouchard)      Join Date: May 2006       11-18-2008, 4:45 AM Reply   
backflow - hydrolic lock - we've seen it break the ring gear in boats before.

The sideswipe has a flap valve to prevent this. Any modifications for draining ballast would be on the wrong side of this valve.
(not a good idea)
Old     (krbaugh)      Join Date: Mar 2002       11-18-2008, 6:14 AM Reply   
That is a very good reason not to do it but not why it wouldnt work