Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (Melissa)      Join Date: Mar 2010       04-29-2012, 7:33 AM Reply   
This is for anyone who wears glasses or contacts.

I'm trying to figure out how to keep my eyesight while riding, because I either have to take my glasses off or take my contacts out. I'm tried of not being able to see what I'm doing, or where I'm going. Not to mention, I can't even see the faces of people in the boat when I'm riding, or if they're signaling me, etc.

I was wondering what some of you came up with? Goggles over contacts? Prescription goggles? Or did you have to resort to Lasik?
Old     (mattjj23)      Join Date: May 2008       04-29-2012, 8:06 AM Reply   
I wear the day/night contacts. They are a little more expensive than other contacts but I have yet( knock on wood) to lose then while riding and yes, I have taken some pretty bad spills. This is my 4th year of wakeboarding.
Old     (rlwagens)      Join Date: Feb 2008       04-29-2012, 8:12 AM Reply   
I have larger sized soft contacts for astigmatism. They last about 3 months a piece I think, but I haven't lost a pair while riding now over the course of 5 or so years. I have to take them out to barefoot obviously, and I couldn't imagine doing anything else without them in. Lasik is on the agenda though asap.
Old     (humboldt9)      Join Date: Jun 2004       04-29-2012, 8:19 AM Reply   
I've worn soft contact lenses for 20 years surfing and 15 wakeboarding. I can count on one hand when I've ever had one come out and you can usually find it rolled up into your eyelid and pop it back in. Wake is a little more challenging mostly due the rate of speed and the wind. For me, it helps to splash a little water around my eyes before my set. If your wearing soft keep a spare set in the boat.
Old     (ottog1979)      Join Date: Apr 2007       04-29-2012, 9:07 AM Reply   
^ I'm with Brad. I've worn soft contact lenses for 20 years both surfing and wakeboarding. Never lost one yet doing either.
Old     (ache_for_wake)      Join Date: Jan 2006       04-29-2012, 11:08 AM Reply   
Ditto to Brad and Andy. I've worn soft contacts for 23 years wakeboarding, surfing, barefooting, and whatever else you can do behind the boat. The ONLY time I have ever lost one, and it only happened once, is when I was barefooting and faceplanted so fast and hard that I couldn't get my eyes shut in time. But otherwise, no worries. I even open my eyes underwater when I swim with my contacts in. I'd be blind without them.
Old     (tke104)      Join Date: Jun 2010       04-29-2012, 11:13 AM Reply   
I used to wear 3 week lenses. I lost one last year mid set; it was annoying. More annoying than losing one for me though was getting water in my eye and making my sight blurry for a few minutes. That was one of the main reasons I got PRK (similar to Lasik) this past December. The recovery is a struggle at first, but it's well worth it. Keep in mind tho that you probably can't wakeboard for a few months after surgery (Lasik or PRK).
Old     (wiscxstar)      Join Date: Mar 2002       04-29-2012, 1:30 PM Reply   
I messed around with contacts for three years or so, and then I got Lasik. I love it!
Old     (irishrider92)      Join Date: Jun 2009       04-29-2012, 2:41 PM Reply   
I use daily contacts. Was on 2weekly but got conjuctivitis. Been riding with them in grand
Old     (mckenna)      Join Date: Mar 2008       04-29-2012, 5:53 PM Reply   
been wearing contacts while riding for years.... never had a problem.

getting ilasik in June will be so good to not need them.
Old     (tke104)      Join Date: Jun 2010       04-29-2012, 9:34 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by mckenna View Post
been wearing contacts while riding for years.... never had a problem.

getting ilasik in June will be so good to not need them.
are you planning to ride this summer? most places recommend waiting 2-3 months after surgery.
Old     (mckenna)      Join Date: Mar 2008       04-29-2012, 10:56 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by tke104 View Post
are you planning to ride this summer? most places recommend waiting 2-3 months after surgery.
ive been told only 1 month out of the water.... am aussie so June is the start of our winter so can do a few months if need be.
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       04-29-2012, 11:15 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by humboldt9 View Post
... For me, it helps to splash a little water around my eyes before my set. If your wearing soft keep a spare set in the boat.
Same for me. There is something about splashing water on your face that is like glue to your contacts. the only time i ever lost a contact was when i forgot to splash water on my face before getting up the first time in a set.

I like to save my older contacts that are still in good shape and use them at the lake. after i am done with the lake i put my good/ newer ones back in. It is not the best idea to let all the lake water nastiness sit on your eye all day long or longer. having rewettener and or cleaner on hand is a good idea too.

I have also worn floating sunglasses while riding, mostly for sun protection, but if wind is a bother on your contacts, wearing some glasses works nice. goggles or anything else that fits tight on your head will fog up real bad and fast! so i do not recommend any eyewear but glasses. try bombereyewear.com or most any motorcycle glasses with the foam linings. buy them in any color but black or blue or dark colors. or buy floating chums
Old     (shredthagnar)      Join Date: Oct 2011       04-30-2012, 5:46 AM Reply   
My buddy caught a toeside edge and lost his contact in his eye socket and had to get it removed. Luckily my glasses are for seeing far away so when I'm behind the boat I don't really need them
Old     (sippi)      Join Date: Dec 2007       04-30-2012, 6:02 AM Reply   
contacts here, had them for a WHILE, i've taken some hard spills and i've lost only 1 and had one get under my eyelid but i was able to get it no biggie. its either take the chance of losing one or have one roll up on you, or not being able to see...i'm taking the chance. Mine are the oversized ones for an astigmatism too.
Old     (Melissa)      Join Date: Mar 2010       04-30-2012, 3:41 PM Reply   
The only experience I had with wearing contacts in water was when I jumped in a pool and lost both contacts instantly. I just figured I'd lose them if I fell wakeboarding, but I never knew about the "splash water on your eyes" trick.

Thanks everyone, I'll give it a shot and see what happens.

If it doesn't work then I was gonna spring for prescription goggles, because they're less likely to fall off. I know someone mentioned fogging though...I'd probably have to spit in them like scuba diving?
Old     (nar722)      Join Date: Dec 2003       04-30-2012, 8:32 PM Reply   
got tired of losing my contacts inside my eyeballs when I would crash. LASIK!!! only way to go
Old     (DealsGapCobra)      Join Date: May 2010       05-01-2012, 6:11 AM Reply   
I wear disposable contacts (2 week kind), wear them all the time and just keep an extra in the boat. I have lost one in the 6 years or so I have been wearing them on the lake. I used to go without but when I had a hard time spotting debris while bare footing I started wearing them all of the time. I agree on the issue with blurry vision if you get water in you eyes...but I can almost always avoid that.
Old     (buffalow)      Join Date: Apr 2002       05-01-2012, 7:11 AM Reply   
Lasik change my life. Had it done about 10 years ago and still hjave perfect vision. I had real bad eye and always had issues with contacts.